Expat dramas

10 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Got to be really bored to do that meet up, topics get desperate it seems

Some guys enjoy it, gets them away from the keyboard. 

Like you I keep myself busy through the day, exercising etc. 

Many years ago, the venue was on Soi 1 Beach Road (Greentree) and a hotel 2nd road (Grand Sole) opposite soi 6.

I went a few times as I was new in town and bored at the time. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Seems most of them don't want to get involved with other farangs anyway, as they usually deliberately looked the other way when passing me, so as to avoid eye contact

This doesn't happen to most people...

Expats are going to be almost all guys..and western guys at that..and probably not the winners of society.

You have to be careful/selective. The really smart/successful expats you'll never encounter, they know what they're doing. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

You can't keep buying coffees all day in a cafe but you can time waste in the food court no problem

2 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

I don't think they are spending any money, free air-conditioned comfort. 

At a Cafe they would be forced to buy something. 

I guess they could drink from the free water machine at the food court. You can't really sit anywhere these days in this environment without having some sort of beverage due to the heat. The A/c in the food court would make it a bit easier, I suppose, if one had to absolutely cut back on waters.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Agree 1

Being an ex military sort I only ever spoke to folk if they were lined up in three's in front of myself......

I dont' mind expats at all,  I just make sure my BS detector is highly tuned before engaging in conversation.

Having lived in the same town 18 years now,  the ones that used to disturb me when I first arrived , were those who would rather jump in the fridge freezers rather than make eye contact when shopping trolleys would cross in Tesco/Big C/ etc....

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, brianburi said:

Having lived in the same town 18 years now,  the ones that used to disturb me when I first arrived , were those who would rather jump in the fridge freezers rather than make eye contact when shopping trolleys would cross in Tesco/Big C/ etc....

Why would they want to make eye contact with another man while shopping?

If it happens it deserves a nod, but otherwise it comes across as a bit odd or queer.

Shopping or walking on the sidewalk is not an expat club where people are there to meet people. Many in a random environment won't be interested.

Edited by JimTripper

24 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

If it happens it deserves a nod, but otherwise it comes across as a bit odd or queer.

Another man? How do you even know that "man" identifies as a man?😂

Edited by georgegeorgia

3 hours ago, Furioso said:

Expats are going to be almost all guys..and western guys at that..and probably not the winners of society.

You have to be careful/selective. The really smart/successful expats you'll never encounter, they know what they're doing. 

That's about right.

1 hour ago, JimTripper said:

Shopping or walking on the sidewalk is not an expat club where people are there to meet people. Many in a random environment won't be interested.

If you smile at a guy does that mean you want to sleep with him?

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, uttradit said:

So you walk around looking grumpy? Sounds like a miserable way to be.

It's not all or nothing, it's a neutral.

I'm not walking down the street or grocery shopping to meet other guys. It's not the right venue. If I don't give eye contact it means I'm busy doing other things, not that I dislike you or hate other expats. Like I said before, if it does happen a nod is appropriate, but not the direct eye contact or greeting of everybody I come across.

Stopped stepping in helping so called friends getting cheated out of their savings.  Many times some emergency after another from their wife/ girlfriend . I tried to explain your job isn't fixing other peoples (thais)stupidity with your money. My wife/girlfriend has heard "not my problem " a thousand times from me. She doesn't even tell me when someone in her family does something stupid. And I like it that way.