Locals rally to clean up messy situation for Thai-Scottish family in Pattaya

webfact

image.jpeg

Locals sought help for a Thai woman and her half Thai half Scottish sons living in an unhealthy, rubbish-strewn house in Pattaya. The three were reportedly in financial trouble after the woman’s Scottish husband left Thailand four years ago.

Residents in the northern Pattaya neighbourhood urged Amarin TV to tell the family’s story in a bid to find help for them. Residents were also concerned about their health as the piles of rubbish in the family’s home were causing air pollution in the area.

Upon arrival, the reporter team encountered a group of locals waiting outside the house. They interviewed a motorcycle taxi rider named Ball, who helped the family several times before. He said he first met the family a month ago. He felt uncomfortable when he sent them to the house and asked to look inside, only to find a pile of rubbish.

Ball said he felt sorry for the children, so he often bought them food and drink and sometimes lent their mother money. The woman told Ball that her husband was Scottish. He left Thailand three to four years ago and initially sent her money every month.

However, the money sometimes could not cover their expense, so the woman had to borrow from neighbours and food vendors in the area. Her eldest son is 16 and the other boy is seven.

Ball said he did not know why the family kept the rubbish in the house. He tried to persuade the woman to clean the place several times but she ignored his pleas.

by Petch Petpailin

Photo via Amarin TV

Full story: The Thaiger 2024-02-16

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

• Like 1
  • Sad 6
  • Love It 1

Typical Thai... the man sends money but the wife spend it on....?????? Besides that keep the rubbish, don't take care of the children and help seems to be impossible.. She can work,clean her house and than probably she will have enough money. But I think debts from gambling are the main issue. Illegal gambling cost a lot of people serious a lot of money as they are addicted. In my neighbourhood there is a same situation and helping is impossible even with a total monthly income for her of almost 30k a month..Sadly for the boys to have a life like this and surely a issue for the Government, but they are too busy with what we have to wear and horns

• Confused 9
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 2

5 minutes ago, steven100 said:

it must stink inside that house ...    imagine the flies .. 🤮

get the boys out,  take them to a clean home.    ...  leave her there if she won't listen to others.

This made the Thai news also, my wife said the news said the stench could be detected from outside the house. 

What is it that turns some people into hoarders?  

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, bbko said:

Some researchers believe hoarding can relate to childhood experiences of losing things, not owning things, or people not caring for you. This might include experiences like: Money worries or living in poverty in childhood.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, ravip said:

You seem to have got the entire situation clearly evaluated.

How much did the husband send?

How often does she go out to gamble?

What's the total amount of debt incurred?

Sadly for the boys, the father abandoned them?

Typical Thai - so the majority of Thais lives like this? Entire Thailand smells bad?

Just askin...

My neighbour was a teacher and was elected as an MP. However in her house there was whole pile of newspapers and boxes in front of the windows. When she got flowers she lay them on top and after 6 months they were still laying there... I don't say all Thais are dirty or smelling people...I just want to say that it is not a case alone...And I have been in many Thai houses

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, shackleton said:

Or even involve the British Embassy in the case of the Children 

Even if their father was Scottish. Doesn't mean they are registered as 'British citizens'.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

My neighbour was a teacher and was elected as an MP. However in her house there was whole pile of newspapers and boxes in front of the windows. When she got flowers she lay them on top and after 6 months they were still laying there... I don't say all Thais are dirty or smelling people...I just want to say that it is not a case alone...And I have been in many Thai houses

TBH... this type of people exists everywhere on this planet.  Haven't you been next to a smelly foreigner, at least once,  on the BKK sky train?

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, bbko said:

This made the Thai news also, my wife said the news said the stench could be detected from outside the house. 

Depression has been linked to this disorder.

19 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

Typical Thai... the man sends money but the wife spend it on....?????? Besides that keep the rubbish, don't take care of the children and help seems to be impossible.. She can work,clean her house and than probably she will have enough money. But I think debts from gambling are the main issue. Illegal gambling cost a lot of people serious a lot of money as they are addicted. In my neighbourhood there is a same situation and helping is impossible even with a total monthly income for her of almost 30k a month..Sadly for the boys to have a life like this and surely a issue for the Government, but they are too busy with what we have to wear and horns

The kids are still alive so I presume she made some effort, somewhat moreso than the non-Thai who seems to have abandoned them.  There was no mention of gambling issues... possible of course, but nothing was written there supports that. I suspected mental issues when I first read it, drug addiction another possibility.

It is very sad either way. 

Maybe the scot came to Thailand on a wing and a prayer and could no longer qualify at the IO for a legitimate visa... maybe he quit sending money because he is on the dole back home and drinks too much... or dead... it amazes me the number of truly nasty forum members  that have all the answers.

• Confused 4
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

Maybe the scot came to Thailand on a wing and a prayer and could no longer qualify at the IO for a legitimate visa... maybe he quit sending money because he is on the dole back home and drinks too much... or dead... it amazes me the number of truly nasty forum members  that have all the answers.

If he has children he can get extensions based on dependents. 

As the story reads, he abandoned his family. 

Too many want to blame all Thais for this situation.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

Not without money...

If you can see his bank account, ok.  If you can't, you're just guesstimating.