Hand-drawn map?!?!

59 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

So senseless this stuff, like you could even move a day after and the entire map is useless too.

Yeah, they have NO idea you could do that. Heh heh. Gotta count those wins.

Edited by BigStar
  • Confused 2

34 minutes ago, digger70 said:

Must have just come in then. I done mine in End of August last year in Hat Yai ,Just a Black and white Google map Print out  No problem. 

Been using Same print out for many Years.

It was required last May when I got my extension and was needed the previous two years too - item 2.6.

Maybe they've dropped it.

2024-02-1714_25_08-2.18Thaiwife.jpg.7ce633822f2fa0918c85b543239a2e5e.jpg

Edited by Stocky
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Stocky said:

It was required last May when I got my extension and was needed the previous two years too - item 2.6.

Maybe they've dropped it.

2024-02-1714_25_08-2.18Thaiwife.jpg.7ce633822f2fa0918c85b543239a2e5e.jpg

Yes I see it on the List.

I Never made one ,Only a Black  and White Google Map print out.

Maybe they clamp down on me next time.

10 minutes ago, digger70 said:

Maybe they clamp down on me next time.

Or maybe not.

I've never found the Hat Yai IO particularly problematic, I just followed the list they gave me, so no idea if I could have got away with one only, from your experience quite possibly. The wife picks up the forms and list of documents a couple of weeks before my extension runs out. I just do what they request - anything for an easy life! 

• Agree 1

On 2/16/2024 at 5:27 AM, eboy said:

I am in the process of applying for a Non-O retirement visa. In order to document my residence, Immigration requires a map, for some strange reason (like Thailand is terra incognita and they don't know where things are). So I submitted a printout from Google Maps.

NO! It must be a hand-drawn map. I told the agent: "I think Google can do a better job drawing a map than I can." She glared at me like I was Public Enemy Number 1. "No! It must be hand-drawn."

This is just a way to annoy and harass visa applicants, isn't it? Or is there a reason that I'm missing? What if they don't like my drawing??? Has anyone else experienced this nonsense?

A "hand drawn map" is a map drawn by hand – the old-fashioned Thai-way of showing way to your house number.

No matter what you might think is better, if the immigration office asks for a "hand drawn map", then it has to be that. My local immigration office asks for both a Google Earth print with marked home position and co-ordinates, and the simple old-fashioned hand drawn map.

It's not that difficult – I had to draw my first map on the floor in the immigration office after being handed an A4 paper, a ruler and a pen...:whistling: Today I've scanned my excellent later map-drawing and use the same print every year – as I don't move – which has been accepted. I've removed my address in gray rectangle and the cross with my house, to make my drawing anonymizes to share it as example...

Hand-drawn-map_sample.jpg.bafea5ae0798dc775a8192d8746445f0.jpg

3 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

So senseless this stuff, like you could even move a day after and the entire map is useless too.

Then your extension would be denied, 'coz you wouldn't be there for home visit.  

1 hour ago, khunPer said:

A "hand drawn map" is a map drawn by hand – the old-fashioned Thai-way of showing way to your house number.

No matter what you might think is better, if the immigration office asks for a "hand drawn map", then it has to be that. My local immigration office asks for both a Google Earth print with marked home position and co-ordinates, and the simple old-fashioned hand drawn map.

It's not that difficult – I had to draw my first map on the floor in the immigration office after being handed an A4 paper, a ruler and a pen...:whistling: Today I've scanned my excellent later map-drawing and use the same print every year – as I don't move – which has been accepted. I've removed my address in gray rectangle and the cross with my house, to make my drawing anonymizes to share it as example...

Hand-drawn-map_sample.jpg.bafea5ae0798dc775a8192d8746445f0.jpg

No 'Ruler' for me, just free hand, I also draw a boat (the ferry) I also add <---1 k------> from 7/11. 

• Haha 1

On 2/16/2024 at 2:48 PM, stoner said:

you know in most stories when people use a hand drawn map there is usually an X that marks the spot. usually where the treasure or reward is. 

Or where the body is buried in RTP reconstructions showing on Amarin TV

Has to be the ridiculous and nasty CW. Yeah, when I lived there they made me draw them a kiddy-map for their childish games. I am likely the worst artist on earth and I intentionally drew it even worse"Eff-ing" imbecilic this place, but gotta go along to get along...so just play their silly games and laugh at them all the while. :coffee1:

• Sad 1

Makes one wonder how Thai Post, Kerry, Flash and FedEx manage to possibly stay in business without the "hand-drawn map" requirement🤣

Edited by Skeptic7
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

Makes one wonder how Thai Post, Kerry, Flash and FedEx manage to possibly stay in business without the "hand-drawn map" requirement🤣

and yet ... we face this problem.

We're one of eleven houses built 2016-18, town of (estimates vary) 7,000-9,000. 

Utilities all ok , show address correctly, yet Google Maps has never updated.

Google Street View ends about 100m from the first house.

Regularly get calls of 'where' when we've had delivery of furniture, building materials, but the post office, Grab and 7-11 deliveries get here now they know us.

Last time at Immigration I showed the IO on her tablet she did a screenshot, printed, for me to mark X and sign

• Like 1

The most practical reason they want it hand-drawn is because, like most Thai people, they cant read maps. 

They also can't give specific directions: how many times have you asked about some place or other and Thai people point in a direction and tell you,"over there"

For me, multiple, if not hundreds of occasions, I have found this to be true.

Please note, I wrote, 'most'.

I have also lived here for 18 years. I love living here and I am not complaining about the Thai way of directions. It is what it is.

It's part of the charm of Thailand.

Just draw a simple map - why provoke the woman who was trying to be helpful?

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Yes, the map must be hand-drawn. I learned that many years ago when I took in a map I drew on my PC. What you should do is when you have successfully drawn an acceptable map, make a copy of it so you can reproduce it the next time. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, puck2 said:

If at all, a google map would be the best way to show where you are staying. It seems some IMMO's are not able to read such a map. It's nice to read that other IMMO's have some common sense.

As has been said, Many have extensions issued at far away Imm. offices. Anyone can download a Google image. But a hand-drawn map is unique to the person who drew it. That doesn't mean a hand-drawn map cannot be mailed to the far away agent but adds another level of complexity to the process. 

Such as providing two photos for an extension and then having a digital picture taken at Imm office. To prove you were actually there.

3 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

As has been said, Many have extensions issued at far away Imm. offices. Anyone can download a Google image. But a hand-drawn map is unique to the person who drew it. That doesn't mean a hand-drawn map cannot be mailed to the far away agent but adds another level of complexity to the process. 

Such as providing two photos for an extension and then having a digital picture taken at Imm office. To prove you were actually there.

--- and you think, a "hand drawn map is unique"?Let me laugh again. Everybody is able to produce 100's  of so called hand drawn maps. What a joke (of the IMMI-Office)!

You are not able to change a Google-map. It's reliable.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, puck2 said:

--- and you think, a "hand drawn map is unique"?Let me laugh again. Everybody is able to produce 100's  of so called hand drawn maps. What a joke (of the IMMI-Office)!

You are not able to change a Google-map. It's reliable.

So what has changing an image got to do with the price of eggs? Hand-drawn is what they want. Of course, if people can't write or draw by hand.

I have heard there are people living today who can't write. 

4 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

Oh, figure it out.

Edited by BigStar
  • Confused 1

For CW, when they first started asking for this map (~ 5 years ago?), they wanted you to draw it in real-time.

For the past few years I've made this drawing before going for my extension. It is accepted. 

So the "they want to see if you know where you live" excuse seems dubious, as I could have a third-party "hand-draw" a map for me.

On 2/17/2024 at 5:46 AM, Andycoops said:

I've always supplied a hand drawn map for my 1 year marriage extension.

For my first hand drawn map I photocopied it prior to giving it to immigration. They've accepted a photocopy every year thereafter.

26 minutes ago, bamnutsak said:

For CW, when they first started asking for this map (~ 5 years ago?), they wanted you to draw it in real-time.

For the past few years I've made this drawing before going for my extension. It is accepted. 

So the "they want to see if you know where you live" excuse seems dubious, as I could have a third-party "hand-draw" a map for me.

For me, they use their copy of the first map I drew for them. But I do pay a small extra "fee" for them to do my paperwork/photocopying.  

17 hours ago, Kalasin Jo said:
  On 2/16/2024 at 2:48 PM, stoner said:

you know in most stories when people use a hand drawn map there is usually an X that marks the spot. usually where the treasure or reward is. 

I drew a house on mine at the end of my map and they asked me where is your house :crazy: so I had to put an X  :post-4641-1156694572:

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

Has to be the ridiculous and nasty CW. Yeah, when I lived there they made me draw them a kiddy-map for their childish games. I am likely the worst artist on earth and I intentionally drew it even worse"Eff-ing" imbecilic this place, but gotta go along to get along...so just play their silly games and laugh at them all the while. :coffee1:

I agree it's like being in playschool, :passifier:  and then I have to stick 12 photos on to there A4s I can't help it I get the giggles on how daft it all is :giggle:

Edited by brianthainess
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

For my first hand drawn map I photocopied it prior to giving it to immigration. They've accepted a photocopy every year thereafter.

My IO want to watch me draw it every year :wacko:

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

Never been asked for a map in Jomtien. Here they at least know how an address works🤣

Great for you at Jomtien.

There are ~ 75 immigration offices and you laugh at folk reporting their requirements at local office.

Your point?

What would you do re map if living if in Bangkok or many other provinces that require a "hand drawn map" 

Rhetorical question...you would comply.