Hand-drawn map?!?!

Open Google Maps of your area and copy it by hand.

Back in the day I actually surveyed streets and villages (utilities). I had an Immigration officer reject my carefully drawn map, internationally recognised symbols were "wrong" and all roads had to be represented by double lines, which on that scale meant they were about 200 metres wide. Never mind, he meant well.

It is. or was in pre-Google days, a way to see that you actually lived where you say you do and know the area.

Edited by cooked
  • Thumbs Up 2

I can't handle the Thai-style maps that places use to show their location, all right-angle turns and no sort of scaling that I can understand.

At least many places are now including Google maps on their websites.

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, eboy said:

NO! It must be a hand-drawn map. I told the agent: "I think Google can do a better job drawing a map than I can." She glared at me like I was Public Enemy Number 1. "No! It must be hand-drawn."

Hat Yai want both a Google Map with Long/Lat coordinates, AND a hand drawn map! 
Why? Who knows.

• Sad 2

I encountered the exact same response years ago. Last year they came and visited me for the first time, 4 of them, one sat in the car with the engine running. They said my map was no good even though  they got to within 200 metres of the house before they rang up and I had to rescue them. They were scared of the dogs and generally left with alacrity. This year I got asked to supply the GPS coordinates as well, so I found my house on satellite view and dropped a pin on it. I was happy because I hadn't noticed that feature before.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CharlieH said:

Anyone can access a Google map and print it without ever having been there. Ask someone to draw the way by hand, there is a better chance they do actually live there and know how to get there. 

Just saying.

I'd like to see the results if asking a Thai to draw a map of where they reside. Add road names too? No chance. "Professional" drivers with Bolt/Grab can't even follow GPS properly here!

As for the OP's post, others have suggested too, print your Google maps then trace it by hand. Once done, make copious copies for future years to save drwaing each time (they have accepted my copies for the last 4 years on Non-O retired in Bangkok).

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, eboy said:

This is just a way to annoy and harass visa applicants, isn't it? Or is there a reason that I'm missing?

you know in most stories when people use a hand drawn map there is usually an X that marks the spot. usually where the treasure or reward is. 

• Haha 1

Just put up with it ! Google map the route for reference and hand draw it from there....it's a requirement that is written for Phuket, mine was drawn 2 years ago haven't been asked to produce it yet, but did want to see a photo of myself next to  house number last year, had it on my phone but not good enough thus got a print out.......put up with it ! cheers

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Stocky said:

Hat Yai want both a Google Map with Long/Lat coordinates, AND a hand drawn map! 
Why? Who knows.

Sri Ratcha like both but I don't think they enforce the google. When my wife was first told to do hand drawn the IO said to use local names for roads and to write in Thai. It was to do with driver for home visits, some being more local than others.

We are out in the country and have had 6 home visits, the first lot came from somewhere near Bangkok and had to phone up for directions, but the last one was only one guy who lived just a couple of miles away.

• Agree 1

Yup, hand drawn map every extension.

But I think its more to do with them finding your place rather than proving you know where you are staying.

Every time they ask I pass the paper over to the old lady and she does it .

• Confused 2
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, CANSIAM said:

Just put up with it ! Google map the route for reference and hand draw it from there....it's a requirement that is written for Phuket, mine was drawn 2 years ago haven't been asked to produce it yet, but did want to see a photo of myself next to  house number last year, had it on my phone but not good enough thus got a print out.......put up with it ! cheers

..all part of our roles as clowns in the circus

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

18 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Just draw it.

Only needs to show nearest main intersection from your home or condo etc. 

YES just draw it what's the fuss or don't apply..

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, Ben Zioner said:

Yes I/we had to do it in the good old times when getting "Thai wife" extensions. My lady said that some people are just unable to read a map as there is something like an "information overload", their brains can't handle it.

In 10 years of daily on-line purchases, out of all delivery services, only Ikea made use of GPS coordinates, and just called the night before to make an appointment. All the others make 5 phone calls and get the wife to explain step by step to get to the house.

This is a problem in rural villages. 

When a villager builds a new house, it is given a number which bears no relation to other house numbers nearby. Streets don't have names or numbers.

There is no logical way to find an address other than go to the village and start making enquiries of the locals.

That is why a 'phone number is so important.

Reading a map can only be done if land marks are added like a picture of a bank on a corner.

My hand drawn map for immigration, is a copy of google maps with a single line drawing of the route added  plus a few identifiable buildings and crossroads. There has never been any problem of rejection by immigration.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1