Hand-drawn map?!?!

22 hours ago, eboy said:

I am in the process of applying for a Non-O retirement visa. In order to document my residence, Immigration requires a map, for some strange reason (like Thailand is terra incognita and they don't know where things are). So I submitted a printout from Google Maps.

NO! It must be a hand-drawn map. I told the agent: "I think Google can do a better job drawing a map than I can." She glared at me like I was Public Enemy Number 1. "No! It must be hand-drawn."

This is just a way to annoy and harass visa applicants, isn't it? Or is there a reason that I'm missing? What if they don't like my drawing??? Has anyone else experienced this nonsense?

That is strictly THAT officer having a bad day. I did just what you stated, a map printed from Google, which the Chanthaburi IO gladly accepted. This brought the officers right to my condo, harassing me within a week or two.

I suggest you draw a really crappy map that takes them to the middle of a rice field, and if they complain, explain that's the best you can do by hand.

2 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

Just give them what they ask for. A hand-drawn map requirement is a very minor inconvenience. If you feel so strongly about it go and live in another country.

I think you miss the point. It isn't about inconvenience, but that Thai Immigration is still using a third class system when modern and more accurate methods are available. Of course, as always with immigration, some offices do it one way and others a different way. Some are in the 20th century and some have advanced to the 21st. Why some persist in using drawings is anyone's guess.

• Agree 1

23 hours ago, oldcpu said:

As to why it must be hand drawn?  I don't know.  

They want to see if people have the intellect to draws a map of their house. If they've lost that intellect, then immigration won't renew your stay.

• Like 1

The first time I did a marriage extension at the Sakon Nakhon office I presented a perfectly prepared google map, giving clear directions to our village home. No, not acceptable, it had to be hand drawn. My wife volunteered her services and draw what was deemed to be an acceptable map.

Using this 'acceptable map' it took the visiting IO over 2 hours to find our gaff, which, whilst rural, is only a 20 minute drive from the city centre. I've presented a computer drawn map ever since then, which has been accepted, however no one's been to visit us anyway.

I wonder if they'll ever learn how to use google maps on their smart phones. All they would then need be the coordinates.

5 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

Spot on. Just do it. It's always been required for sooooo many years. Why the OP even started a thread to complain about something that's always been needed forever???

You want to censor replies to posts/..... well go join a Russian/N Korean/China forum.......

• Confused 1

23 hours ago, silverhawk_usa said:

Requirements also state it must be drawn on their form. I have always done this so I don't know if it is enforced. You may save yourself some aggravation and use their form just in case.

VisaExtensionRequirements.thumb.jpg.8da1c1ba15be88d4161c91be7391d898.jpgMapForm.JPG.1a8cd1cf7ef647419a5b573c88b40f79.JPG

Edited by silverhawk_usa
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, HappyExpat57 said:

I suggest you draw a really crappy map that takes them to the middle of a rice field,

They are the police. You think they can't find your house🧐

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, eboy said:

I am in the process of applying for a Non-O retirement visa. In order to document my residence, Immigration requires a map, for some strange reason (like Thailand is terra incognita and they don't know where things are). So I submitted a printout from Google Maps.

NO! It must be a hand-drawn map. I told the agent: "I think Google can do a better job drawing a map than I can." She glared at me like I was Public Enemy Number 1. "No! It must be hand-drawn."

This is just a way to annoy and harass visa applicants, isn't it? Or is there a reason that I'm missing? What if they don't like my drawing??? Has anyone else experienced this nonsense?

Only one answer to that. This is Thailand. It is not just the Somchai or Lek in the street who has a low IQ.

59 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I think you miss the point. It isn't about inconvenience, but that Thai Immigration is still using a third class system when modern and more accurate methods are available. Of course, as always with immigration, some offices do it one way and others a different way. Some are in the 20th century and some have advanced to the 21st. Why some persist in using drawings is anyone's guess.

Wonder what century of a system they will use for their new Tax scheme.....:wink: cannot get online 90 day reporting ironed out yet.......   

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Has been that way forever, as said you need to show them that you know the way. 

I enjoy doing it and it's normally the last doc. they require while they process all my other docs, I draw rivers, bridges, even trees just for a laugh, might take some colored pens next time :giggle:

Don’t forget to us blue ink otherwise have to redraw🧐

• Haha 1

I cannot but laugh, when I read how some members defend this nonsense=idiotic rule. It is ordered by the bureaucrazy, yes you must do it. :cheesy:. If the bureaucrazy would order, jump from the bridge into the huay/ditch before asking for staying another year in Thailand, they would do it.

If at all, a google map would be the best way to show where you are staying. It seems some IMMO's are not able to read such a map. It's nice to read that other IMMO's have some common sense.

Edited by puck2
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, CANSIAM said:

Wonder what century of a system they will use for their new Tax scheme.....:wink: cannot get online 90 day reporting ironed out yet.......   

I'm lucky with reporting. My IO is 40 minutes drive away and I can combine it with a trip to Big C and Makro. I went on Monday this week and there were zero 'customers'. Maybe everyone avoid Mondays for extension applications etc as they think it'll be busy :biggrin:

And then they wonder, why those dirty farang, alien and stubborn non-Thais are leaving the promised land in droves ....... This country has been run by brainless incompetent goons for decades and there is no light at the end of the bureaucracy tunnel ....... 

• Confused 2

On 2/16/2024 at 11:27 AM, eboy said:

Do as you're told, son.

The reason I breeze in and out every year in 15-30 min is that I give them exactly what they want, neatly typewritten, complete, signed, dated, with phone number added in the spots I know they target. I don't care about any reasons, up to them.

Edited by BigStar
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 2/16/2024 at 11:27 AM, eboy said:

They required you to provide a hand drawn map so that you cannot later complain that the Google maps was submitted in error, should that situation arise.  It's all about fraud prevention, like many things in this fraud prone country.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 2/16/2024 at 11:36 AM, oldcpu said:

As to why it must be hand drawn?  I don't know.  Possibly by forcing one to hand draw a map, it gives immigration a bit more confidence that one actually lives in the location where they say they live -

That's it.

• Agree 1

On 2/16/2024 at 12:47 PM, Stocky said:

Hat Yai want both a Google Map with Long/Lat coordinates, AND a hand drawn map! 
Why? Who knows.

Must have just come in then. I done mine in End of August last year in Hat Yai ,Just a Black and white Google map Print out  No problem. 

Been using Same print out for many Years.