Hand-drawn map?!?!

19 hours ago, eboy said:

Or is there a reason that I'm missing?

Yes. Immigration has not yet caught up with the 21st century. Be patient. Spouse and I have shopped in, for example but not limited to, Global House and when they have our address they pull it up on Google Earth and can see the house, confirm it is ours and BINGO! Immigration still needs a child-like drawing. Are you surprised? Obviously. You shouldn't be.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Just draw it.

Only needs to show nearest main intersection from your home or condo etc. 

Always best to check with your local office as they all differ.  Our office is happy with a google map but it must be door to door, nearest main intersection is not acceptable.

2 hours ago, Iron Tongue said:

Hand drawn maps comes from age-old traditions designed to protect the peasants and their land.  Not all properties had addresses, nor could everyone read & write, so having someone hand draw a map of their property was a way for poor farmers to identify their land.

Some traditions just don't change.

Hold on.......these old poor farmers ( Thai ) needed to draw a map for immigration, unlikely methinks.....

Unless there was peasant farang farmers back in the day?

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

At my so-called 'in the sticks' Imm Office in SiSaKet province they are more tech-savvy and don't bother with that hand-drawn map nonsense.

The Imm Officer asked whether I had a mobile phone and whether I could indicate where I live on the Google Maps site.  He then asked if he could have my phone for half a minute.  He then went to street-view, rode his 'virtual car' right in front of our house with the number visible, took a screen-shot and sent it to himself. 

Indeed, done in less than half a minute, and needless to say that I was quite impressed with his dexterity. 

Note: In my Imm Office if you do the 90-days report in person, you don't need any filled-in form neither.  Just tell that you come for doing your 90-day report and hand over your passport, they then fill in everything on their PC, print out the form which you need to sign, and then they staple the notification slip with next due date (highlighted with a fluo marker) in your passport. Done in 3 minutes. 

Reading the horror stories of Imm Office nonsense in other provinces, I realize that I am extremely lucky with that always very friendly and extremely efficient Imm Office. Next time I go for my 1-year extension I will bring some cake for the office staff, as token of my gratitude with the service they provide.

I might move to Sisaket.......oh hold on a minute, just realised that there's nothing there - abort!

• Haha 1

I remember reading a few years ago Immigration in Hua Hin were asking for a hand drawn map.

So, before my renewal visit, like some people here, I went to Google Maps, made 2 screen shots of my location.  Presented the two screenshots on one page, and gave the Lat/Long.

Handed the map to the IO, who smiled and said "Very good".   End of story.

15 minutes ago, it is what it is said:

...and we wonder why some IOs get fed up with foreigners

And you don't wonder why foreigners get fed up with antiquated procedures that belong in the last century. In the real world, if people needed a map (and most would not, as addresses in most countries are easy to understand and find - Japan a probable exception) they would send you packing if you drew a map and they'd demand a print out or photo of your address. Thailand, though, loves to do the opposite of the real world in many ways. Reject modern technology and use pen and paper.

• Love It 1

20 hours ago, eboy said:

I am in the process of applying for a Non-O retirement visa. In order to document my residence, Immigration requires a map, for some strange reason (like Thailand is terra incognita and they don't know where things are). So I submitted a printout from Google Maps.

NO! It must be a hand-drawn map. I told the agent: "I think Google can do a better job drawing a map than I can." She glared at me like I was Public Enemy Number 1. "No! It must be hand-drawn."

This is just a way to annoy and harass visa applicants, isn't it? Or is there a reason that I'm missing? What if they don't like my drawing??? Has anyone else experienced this nonsense?

Just renewed my "O" Visa Extension for Marriage to a Thai. I use an agency as they keep up with any local particularities, personalities, changes in bosses, etc ... just easier. This is my 1st such extension as previously I used Retirement. Stack of paper for sure but ... no map requested. As we know, immigration office requirements variety ... I suspect the hand drawn versus the google print in someone's mind means we would be giving personal evidence (much like requiring our signature on each page of documents & additional forms submitted.

20 hours ago, Ben Zioner said:

Yes I/we had to do it in the good old times when getting "Thai wife" extensions. My lady said that some people are just unable to read a map as there is something like an "information overload", their brains can't handle it.

In 10 years of daily on-line purchases, out of all delivery services, only Ikea made use of GPS coordinates, and just called the night before to make an appointment. All the others make 5 phone calls and get the wife to explain step by step to get to the house.

That's the best guess I've seen so far. My Thai wife finds it impossible to do and when I ask her for directions she sort of points at the top of the windscreen and says "Over der".

20 hours ago, doctormann said:

I have tried for many years to teach my Thai wife to read a simple map, with zero success.

I said, 'pretend that you are a bird, looking down at the ground underneath you'.  Simple concept but she just can't handle it.

Back in my home country we were taught stuff like that in school.  Doesn't happen here, apparently.

Map reading yes but not in school for me. Boy Scouts, (Bobcat through Eagle) from age 7 - 64 1/2.

1 hour ago, Muhendis said:

When a villager builds a new house, it is given a number which bears no relation to other house numbers nearby.

There is a logic to the numbers but not one that will help you find the property.

I think the first number relates to a section of land and the second is the chronological of build. My sister in laws house was her fathers and originally built about 60 years ago, that is 8/1. My house was built 2009 about 30 metres away and that is 8/9. My brother in laws was built about 2007 but not registered until I built mine, he is 8/10. I don't know where 8/2 - 8/8 are but will be somewhere nearby.

• Haha 1

Here in Surin I've never been asked for map or photo of me at the gate, but I have both with me each time just in case.

The one time several years ago they came calling the first we knew was the head woman of the village down the way a bit phoning and asking us to go down to her place where 3 Immig officers were waiting for us. I can only guess they were intimidated by the big white fence all round & the 2-storeyed house. Never had a visit since.

1) You print out Google maps. 

2) You draw on it with a magic marker. It will bleed to other side. 

3) You flip the paper over and scan the other side. 

4) Reinforce just the scanned lines and add labels. Done. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Same with me at immigration.  But the first part of her reviewing my paperwork started when she crumpled and wadded up most all my papers and throwing in trash...because I signed in BLACK ink.  The map situation was the same as yours, except I didn't try to tell her a better/smarter way to do her job.  She spoke very fast, not clear English and had a general angry look and attitude.  The next day I go back, with my Thai Ms.  Everything she said was in Thai, and I said nothing and they did the talking.  All my paperwork passed her approval this time.  Every interaction with staff at immigration is very helpful ever since that one time. She looks and behaves like a mean hunt(sp).  Yea, google maps would be great, and I don't know why it requires a crude hand drawn map. 

3 minutes ago, sandyf said:

There is a logic to the numbers but not one that will help you find the property.

I think the first number relates to a section of land and the second is the chronological of build. My sister in laws house was her fathers and originally built about 60 years ago, that is 8/1. My house was built 2009 about 30 metres away and that is 8/9. My brother in laws was built about 2007 but not registered until I built mine, he is 8/10. I don't know where 8/2 - 8/8 are but will be somewhere nearby.

Yes, there used to be logic in the numbering system but that was long ago when villages were pretty well just one (large) family with only maybe 10 houses. 

Each Amphoe would have a number of villages and each village would have a number. An address would be the house number followed by the village number followed by the name of the Amphoe.

My Amphoe has 22 villages and I am in village number 9. Having said all that my village also has a name which is on Google Maps but the Amphoe village number is not.

There are now over 200 houses in the village with numbers randomly scattered about all over the place. Even the local EMS post lady rarely ventures past the end of her street in case she can't find it at the end of her shift.

26 minutes ago, Ebumbu said:

1) You print out Google maps. 

2) You draw on it with a magic marker. It will bleed to other side. 

3) You flip the paper over and scan the other side. 

4) Reinforce just the scanned lines and add labels. Done. 

If you give this to immigration they'll end up at the immigration office...

54 minutes ago, PeachCH said:

When you have an agent. Why he don't draw for you? With a "real" agent you need nothing, only your passeport. 😁👍

Because that stack of thousand baht notes your agent gives the IO sitting across from you at the desk enhances the process and you do not have to open your mouth, whereas us folks with our folder of papers a blue and black pen in our shirt pocket pay 1900 baht. 

21 hours ago, eboy said:

"I think Google can do a better job drawing a map than I can."

If I type my Thai address into Google maps, I get nothing.  The way home's are labeled here are not like in the West. 

Just open Google maps, find your home and copy/draw the major intersections nearest your home and the additional directions to your home.  It's not rocket science. 

23 minutes ago, Muhendis said:

An address would be the house number followed by the village number followed by the name of the Amphoe.

Around here the second number is the house number, been that way for at least 60 plus years.

My wife's grandfather had about 100 rai and his house was the first on the land, 8/1.

It's stupid, because you could draw any configuration of streets with the correct street name.

However, just do it, no point in pissing off an already sufficiently pissed person. 

Don't forget the stick people (with smiles) and a banana for scale.

21 hours ago, silverhawk_usa said:

Requirements also state it must be drawn on their form. I have always done this so I don't know if it is enforced. You may save yourself some aggravation and use their form just in case.

Can you post an example of "their form", not heard of it before.

I have been doing non-o extensions for self and swmbo at Jomtien for 17years.

I have never been asked for a map, or had black ink signatures rejected.

My next is due soon....... has something changed???

the 1,5,10,30 previous copies not stored on let's say, digital media?

a decade ago, in pak ret, i saw some io typing over the info from the printed or filled in documents on a computer system... allow people to fill in this thing digitally like 90 day crap, maybe in the next decade or two...