Jailed Russian opposition leader Alexei Navalny dead, prison service says

Social Media

16 hours ago, daveAustin said:

It wouldn’t matter what name one put forth, with that kind of sentiment confirmation bias would have you shoot down any and all named. As a pm, Thanathorn could be running things here, Navalny in Russia—both decent people. With the latter rightful leader in Russia, all you’d need then is to replace the cancerous ccp with a few good men (or one) and the world would instantly be a happier place.

Anyone who thinks that utter egotistical pissant of a guy running things in Russia is a cool dude, or justified in what he is doing, or feels any empathy for him whatsoever (Carlson, Brand, Chomsky etc) seriously need to get their head read. You are being played!

Chomsky?

On 2/16/2024 at 9:28 PM, thaicurious said:

Did the guy strap a bomb around himself to destroy the lives of others to make his point? Navalny put only his own life on the line for his country's freedom from Putin, from the very same authoritarianism that the Republican Party also tries to inflict upon America. Only a coward would disrespect that upon his death at the hands of a dictator. Not all martyrs are fools.

spacer.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thích_Quảng_Đức

Thích Quảng Đức (chữ Hán: 釋廣德, Vietnamese: [tʰǐk̟ kʷâːŋ ɗɨ̌k] ⓘ; born Lâm Văn Túc; 1897 – 11 June 1963) was a Vietnamese Mahayana Buddhist monk who died by self-immolation at a busy Saigon road intersection on 11 June 1963.[2] Quảng Đức was protesting against the persecution of Buddhists by the South Vietnamese government of Ngô Đình Diệm, a staunch Roman Catholic. Photographs of his self-immolation circulated around the world, drawing attention to the policies of the Diệm government. John F. Kennedy said of one photograph, "No news picture in history has generated so much emotion around the world as that one."

I never forgot that incident.

12 minutes ago, charleskerins said:

When did America call the shots in Russia?

Pretty much throughout the 2Oth century. For some indispensable background information, I recommend reading Zbigniew Brzezinski's The Grand Chessboard and Anthony Sutton's Wall Street and the Bolshevik Revolution.

Edited by rattlesnake
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1

On 2/16/2024 at 11:21 PM, stats said:

A series of off-topic and bickering posts on U.S. politics have been removed. The topic here is the in-custody death of the Russian opposition leader.

Putin ,Putin's opposition ,Ukraine ,Republican a$$ kissing of Putin and Us politics are intertwined.

• Agree 1

On 2/17/2024 at 7:53 AM, NativeBob said:

"Opposition leader" is a fake term. 

There is no "opposition" in Russia, not were. Just a youtuber with ambitions on the payroll.

leader of smt that doesn't exist? Cute )

failed project

kanye West?

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, rattlesnake said:

He was a convicted crook who had a long-standing history of corruption and embezzlement with his brother Oleg. 

Russian investigators accuse Alexei and Oleg Navalny of defrauding a Russian subsidiary of the French cosmetics company Yves Rocher out of about 26m roubles (about $811,000; £505,000). 

[...]

In a further charge, the Navalny brothers are charged with laundering 21m roubles (about $656,000, £408,000) in funds.

[...]

In that case, he was found guilty of heading a group that embezzled timber worth 16m roubles from the Kirovles state timber company, while working as an adviser to the governor of the Kirov region, Nikita Belykh.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-24731503

Russian investigators   aka   vlads henchmen

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, charleskerins said:

you have zero comprehension of principle ,patriotism  sacrifice.           you sound like the fat orange guy.

You mean the wannaby actor and ex-president and now shoe salesman?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

You are pro-Putin, and would like to see America lose its pre-eminent standing in the world?

America has already lost its preeminent standing in the world. As I said earlier, Pax Americana is over and we are entering an era of multilateralism.

Legacy Western media outlets (which seem to be the sole source of information of this forum's users) are entertaining the fantasy that Western powers still have significant influence on the world stage, while the truth is they are bankrupt in every sense of the term.

Below are two examples from the Financial Times which perfectly illustrate the level of denial the West has reached:

March 2022:
Running a siege economy: Russia prepares to endure pain of sanctions
Deep recession is expected as country begins to diversify and rely on trade with allies

https://www.ft.com/content/47121812-621a-404a-b60f-e2a7f62c5236

February 2024:
The surprising resilience of the Russian economy
The Russian economy’s resilience has stunned many economists who had believed the initial round of sanctions over the invasion of Ukraine nearly two years ago could cause a catastrophic contraction.

https://www.ft.com/content/d304a182-997d-4dae-98a1-aa7c691526db

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, rattlesnake said:

America has already lost its preeminent standing in the world. As I said earlier, Pax Americana is over and we are entering an era of multilateralism.

The question is whether you believe this is a good development.

6 minutes ago, rattlesnake said:

Below are two examples from the Financial Times which perfectly illustrate the level of denial the West has reached:

March 2022:
Deep recession is expected as country begins to diversify and rely on trade with allies

February 2024:
The Russian economy’s resilience has stunned many economists who had believed the initial round of sanctions over the invasion of Ukraine nearly two years ago could cause a catastrophic contraction.

Have you ever been to Russia?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

The question is whether you believe this is a good development.

Yes, I believe it is an excellent development as I am a firm believer in protectionism, which is why I also support Trump.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, rattlesnake said:

Legacy Western media outlets (which seem to be the sole source of information of this forum's users) are entertaining the fantasy that Western powers still have significant influence on the world stage, while the truth is they are bankrupt in every sense of the term.

March 2022:

February 2024:

https://www.ft.com/content/d304a182-997d-4dae-98a1-aa7c691526db

About China, I agree on is potential.

However, Russia is an economic dwarf. It's GDP is comparable to Italy's GDP. (and I would prefer to live in Italy)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, candide said:

About China, I agree on is potential.

However, Russia is an economic dwarf. It's GDP is comparable to Italy's GDP. (and I would prefer to live in Italy)

The BRICS now hold a total of 32 percent of the world's GDP, compared to 30 percent held by the G7 countries.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, rattlesnake said:

The BRICS now hold a total of 32 percent of the world's GDP, compared to 30 percent held by the G7 countries.

And Russia's share of the world's GDP is less than 3%!

BTW, the BRICS is not a strategic alliance.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, rattlesnake said:

From the article:

He told Lockdown TV that “if only one version of the facts is allowed then that gives a huge incentive to wealthy and powerful people to seize control of things like Wikipedia in order to shore up their power. And they do that.”

He said it (Wikipedia) “seems to assume that there is only one legitimate defensible version of the truth on any controversial question. That’s not how Wikipedia used to be.”

[...]

Mr Sanger cited the example of an article about US President Joe Biden and says it doesn’t include information from the Republicans’ perspective.

I'll pass on the Pavlovian anti-Putin drivel.

I'm happy you realized that he didn't say what you claimed. Good dog, have a treat 🙂

16 minutes ago, candide said:

And Russia's share of the world's GDP is less than 3%!

BTW, the BRICS is not a strategic alliance.

It isn't openly strategic, but it de facto has strategic implications. Its recent expansion to include Saudi Arabia and the UAE (the Arab world’s two largest economies) will create new investment opportunities and increase its influence.
It is interesting to note that Saudi Arabia was historically pretty much under American control (cf. Quincy agreement).

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, rattlesnake said:

It isn't openly strategic, but it de facto has strategic implications. Its recent expansion to include Saudi Arabia and the UAE (the Arab world’s two largest economies) will create new investment opportunities and increase its influence.
It is interesting to note that Saudi Arabia was historically pretty much under American control (cf. Quincy agreement).

It's also not an economic alliance. 

I certainly don't deny these countries potential. I just outline that their strategic interests are not particularly aligned, apart from the will to be more influent.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, candide said:

It's also not an economic alliance. 

I certainly don't deny these countries potential. I just outline that their strategic interests are not particularly aligned, apart from the will to be more influent.

Multilateral agreements precisely aim to safeguard individual nations' interests, based on protectionist and sovereign approaches, without supranational interference.

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, rattlesnake said:

Multilateral agreements precisely aim to safeguard individual nations' interests, based on protectionist and sovereign approaches, without supranational interference.

Multilateral agreement on what? (BRICS)

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, candide said:

Multilateral agreement on what? (BRICS)

Essentially trade and political agreements, such as the Shanghai Cooperation Organization or the Belt and Road initiative. Also diplomacy, for instance Saudi Arabia recently signed historic diplomacy deals with Iran and Syria, brokered by China and Russia.
Also, an important addition to what I said earlier about the Quincy agreement: Saudi Arabia has announced a plan to accept payment for oil in Chinese yuan instead of US dollars.

• Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, rattlesnake said:

Essentially trade and political agreements, such as the Shanghai Cooperation Organization or the Belt and Road initiative. Also diplomacy, for instance Saudi Arabia recently signed historic diplomacy deals with Iran and Syria, brokered by China and Russia.
Also, an important addition to what I said earlier about the Quincy agreement: Saudi Arabia has announced a plan to accept payment for oil in Chinese yuan instead of US dollars.

Ok, I thought you were referring to the BRICS organisation itself. Right, some BRICS countries cooperate, but it's not directly related to the BRICS organisation itself. And BRICS countries may not be "friends". Ex. India is part of a strategic alliance with the U.S., which is clearly targeting China.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1