a sense of impending doom

nikmar

I have a question regarding my son.

He s 16 and 4 years ago, I asked him if he wanted to try Muay Thai lessons at a newly opened gym. First lesson was free and he enjoyed it and so for four years I ve been paying monthly for him to work with a trainer. The idea being, it will give him an activity other than playing on an I-phone and watching stupid vdos.

It was never meant to be anything serious. He enjoys basketball first and foremost and saw boxing as a way to stay fit and build strength and speed. It also gave him direction, and he s been talking about wanting to be a trainer when he finishes education. I’m made up he’s got an aim in life which I didn’t have at 16.

So, he asked the gym owner if he could get some experience (unwaged) at the gym. They agreed and he helps with cleaning up and has instructed a few newbies and helps with warm ups and warm downs. Little things with a view to an intern type deal when he s at M6 at school.

Sorry to ramble – the upshot is that in order to work as a trainer there, he has to get fight experience which he agreed to. Without consulting me, he has agreed to his debut fight in a tournament next week as a beginner and is up against another kid of the same age but with some experience. My son is in intense training and is getting knocked about by his trainer to gain strength etc. It s quite heavy – he s got bruising and a good black eye.

My question – I’ m scared he ll get injured or seriously hurt. If this was your kid, how would you feel about him competing? Has anyone seen a Muay Thai event (not pro)? Should I be concerned?

Thanks in advance.

• Sad 3

I think with 16 he is old enough to know that he might lose and that it likely will hurt. That's life.

I guess in an environment like that there are experienced people who recognize when something would go wrong. And I presume they will stop it if it get's too bad.

In the hindsight I would have loved to do something like that when I was young.

Maybe ask his trainers or others what to expect. I am sure you are not the first parent with concerns. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Its all about betting IMO that's why they get the kids to fight, I new a bargirl here once who's father got her into it 13-14yr old  just so he could use her to gamble, she left home when just 14 to get away from it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

How many times do they think he needs to have the **** knocked out of him before he can work as a trainer?

I'm guessing they will really be using him as a journeyman for contenders to get a few easy wins against.

The promoters will ask for one and the club will set him up.

It's the promoters who will decide when, where and who he fights.

Cheap meat.

Edited by Enoon
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Without knowing the lad - difficult to say.

If he wants to fight, maybe let him get it out of his system.

When he has been beaten black and blue a few times, he will either give up or get better and turn it into a (hard) living.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, nikmar said:

Should I be concerned?

Yes. Get him out of that except for routine training, maybe weekly, and see if you can interest himself in something with a less dangerous career path using more brainpower. Find some other kinds of camps to send him to.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

@nikmar At this stage, not too much to be concerned about.  At 16 and depending on weight class, they really can't do much damage.   Make sure they use proper head gear for training & bouts.

He'll either love it and excel at it, or realize it's not for him.   Only if he continues, he'll need to educate himself with the risks of repetitive concussion.  

May want to download the movie 'Concussion', have him give that a watch.

Not familiar with Muay Thai weight classes, but Yank boxing, and no major damage for youngins till 160 lbs, and then it's classed Super Heavyweights, and they pack a punch, as do Heavyweights, but 160 being the limit, unlike SHs.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all answers, very much appreciated. Bottom line is , he s going to fight on Friday evening and we will take it from there. Im actually very proud as I could never have done it, i also respect the effort he s putting into training. 

I dont see him wanting to be a pro and any tournaments he partakes in will be few and far between. But he would still like to be a trainer - fitness or boxing or even his first love, basketball. He sees this fight as a career step and so i will be there cheering him on and probably feeling each punch he recieves more than he does.

I ll let you know how it goes. thanks again 

• Like 1