Considering replacing water pump

topt

Current pump has been in place probably since new which would be over 15 years. Originally it was plumbed in to pump water from an underground tank (and the mains....) but I added an above ground tank some years ago when the underground one developed a leak - and have not used the underground one since. Also changed the pipe run so no longer pumps the mains feed.

Has not been used extensively as mains feed alone was stronger and usually used that until particularly about 4 months ago.

Have recently had a few issues and regularly need to empty and refill the pump to stop "pulsing". 

Anyhow thinking that I may replace as getting more unreliable but I would ideally like more pressure. Can anybody suggest what type of pump and what power would be good to replace it with? 

(I am interested but not going to spend over 20k for a Grundfoss......)

Pictures are below but I cannot tell what wattage the pump is. House is 2 story and normally only one shower on at a time.

IMG_20240208_095914.thumb.jpg.128bbd163ee3dc1ef957b00325339b4e.jpgIMG_20240208_100003.thumb.jpg.585afdaf5dd5d5ef69b8d9e59eb00c24.jpg

we just got a new one of the same type Mitsubishi ours lasted 11 years, 150 watts plus should be enough. Or you could adjust the timing switch that you have a pic of and see if that makes any difference, our old one would not stop pulsing. You did well with the tank not getting rust holes in it by now. New pressure switch is 450 baht if you want to try that

Edited by proton

So what exactly is the difference - pros/cons - automatic vs constant pressure?

I have read a translate of the information in the Mitsu site but it is not clear what benefits there are so would appreciate anybody who has used both chiming in with their experience.

https://www.mitsubishi-kyw.co.th/Product/For-Home/Water-Pump.aspx?lang=EN

https://www.mitsubishi-kyw.co.th/waterpump/information.php#section_4

• Thumbs Up 1

You need to consider a few things.

1.  Would just recharge or replacement of tank (return to normal operation - likely not enough air now) be OK?  Or do you want more pressure? 

2.  More pressure means more stress on water pipe joints - which are often a fail point here - as few install for high pump pressure.  So could house be re-piped easily if failure?  We ran outside pipes rather than underground so was easy and not expensive.

3.  Can not address the constant pressure/tank question - have used both for Grundfos and worked fine but have heard very noisy constant pressure pumps and would not want some of the cheaper units.  We have been using tank type Grundfos for last decade and very quiet and works very well with no real water pressure dip.

8 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

You need to consider a few things.

1.  Would just recharge or replacement of tank (return to normal operation - likely not enough air now) be OK?  Or do you want more pressure? 

2.  More pressure means more stress on water pipe joints - which are often a fail point here - as few install for high pump pressure.  So could house be re-piped easily if failure?  We ran outside pipes rather than underground so was easy and not expensive.

3.  Can not address the constant pressure/tank question - have used both for Grundfos and worked fine but have heard very noisy constant pressure pumps and would not want some of the cheaper units.  We have been using tank type Grundfos for last decade and very quiet and works very well with no real water pressure dip.

Thanks.

1- a small increase in pressure would be good.

2 - no everything buried hence only small pressure increase required. I was hoping someone may be able to tell what the current power of the pump is from one of the pictures.

3 - yes understand how good Grundfoss is but not interested in paying 20k plus especially as I don't think I would get the full benefit due to the pressure issue you highlighted.

Just something to consider. I have a pump connected to an above-ground tank. I started getting pulsing. I thought maybe I had a leak. What it turned out to be was an air leak between the tank and the pump. The pump was pulling harder than the tank could supply water and was sucking in air. I taped the joints on the pipe with electrical tape and the problem went away.

• Like 1

!5 years pumping hard water (presumably) is not a bad life. The pump doesn't owe you anything, but beware the new pump you buy will probably be inferior to the old one and not last nearly as long.

OP's pump is a WP type. 200 0r 250 watt.  Changing it to a Mitsubishi EP type of the same wattage potentially would give about 15 - 18 psi more. Or 1 to 1.2 Bar if you prefer.

spacer.png

Not a direct replacement so would need some modification to the existing piping.

6 minutes ago, retarius said:

!5 years pumping hard water (presumably) is not a bad life. The pump doesn't owe you anything, but beware the new pump you buy will probably be inferior to the old one and not last nearly as long.

Agreed and unfortunately pretty much a given with most consumer electrical appliances these days.

Just now, VocalNeal said:

OP's pump is a WP type. 200 0r 250 watt.

Thanks.

Can I ask how you can tell? I would not want any less pressure but was expecting the current pump to be smaller rather than larger.

10 minutes ago, Artisi said:

get your local pump supplier in to look at what you have - they should be able to identify it and make a recommendation.

Unfortunately I didn't ask my local plumber when he was here the other week and yes that would be my check task before buying. I was hoping to work out the minimum before I saw him. 

(The local pump supplier would probably be Home Pro or similar)

1 hour ago, topt said:

Unfortunately I didn't ask my local plumber when he was here the other week and yes that would be my check task before buying. I was hoping to work out the minimum before I saw him. 

(The local pump supplier would probably be Home Pro or similar)

Most places have shophouse type sellers for pumps/tanks/filters that also can provide service people at very reasonable cost.  

1 hour ago, topt said:

Thanks.

Can I ask how you can tell? I would not want any less pressure but was expecting the current pump to be smaller rather than larger.

https://industrypro.co.th/en/product/water-pump-constant-pressure-mitsubishi-ep-series/

Your pump switch setting is 2.8 to 2.4 which makes it 200 or 250 see below. With a max discharge of 2.8 bar. EP-200 or 250 has a potential max discharge of 4 bar. 

https://industrypro.co.th/en/product/automatic-pump-mtsubishi-wp-series/

Edited by VocalNeal

1 hour ago, topt said:

Thanks.

Constant pressure does not have a storage tank (as bottom half of yours) so are smaller.

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

Constant pressure does not have a storage tank (as bottom half of yours) so are smaller.

Sorry I meant lower wattage - yes I have seen on the Mitsu link I posted that they are smaller.

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

https://industrypro.co.th/en/product/water-pump-constant-pressure-mitsubishi-ep-series/

Your pump switch setting is 2.8 to 2.4 which makes it 200 or 250 see below. With a max discharge of 2.8 bar. EP-200 or 250 has a potential max discharge of 4 bar. 

https://industrypro.co.th/en/product/automatic-pump-mtsubishi-wp-series/

Thanks a lot that"s exactly what I wanted to know :thumbsup:

4 hours ago, topt said:

Have recently had a few issues and regularly need to empty and refill the pump to stop "pulsing". 

Have you actually removed the very bottom drain plug on the yellow tank and drained that? 

21 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Have you actually removed the very bottom drain plug on the yellow tank and drained that? 

How else does one empty it fully........

Sorry that was a little snarky.....yes, successfully drained and refilled many times. I presume an air leak somewhere but that is a minor issue  and only one part of why looking to possibly replace.

Edited by topt

I've always had good luck with these. I get about 10-15 years out of one, and our water is very alkaline so that takes some life out of them. I added a pressure tank on this last one, so the pump starts/stops less but runs longer which should be better for it.

20240113_121042.jpg

20240113_121018.jpg

20240112_151907.jpg

4 hours ago, HuaHinNew said:

That's a good pump but very expensive,I think cos it has an inverter. We bought the model down XS, without inverter and 350 W so nearly as powerful. It's half that price. We water the garden extensively through a few outlets and it's plenty powerful for that. Superior to Mitsubishi in my opinion and still reasonable price 

15 minutes ago, Chongalulu said:

Superior to Mitsubishi in my opinion

Can you say why you think that is as there seems little to choose between them in terms of spec?

On 2/21/2024 at 3:32 AM, topt said:

Can anybody suggest what type of pump and what power would be good to replace it with? 

(I am interested but not going to spend over 20k for a Grundfoss......)

Just buy same model Mitsubishi pump again – easy to replace – 15 years in an excellent life time for a water pump in Thailand.

• Agree 1

Hi,

We have a two story house and occasionally use two showers on upper floor simultaneously when we have guests.

Our house is 21 years old and we have used Mitsubishi WP-305 series (currently WP-305R) since we moved in.  Provides adequate water pressure to run two showers and more.  The only problem we've had is that occasionally a pump would surge.  If so, not every "plumber" knows how to adjust it, so we had to find the right guy.  Once adjusted, normally ran for years.  Have had 3 so far, one of which was fine until destroyed by the mega-flood of 2011.  I'm happy with Mitsubishi.

If your house was built properly, I wouldn't worry too much about water pressure causing leaks.  However, as a precaution, we shut off the water pump when we take a trip.  Just in case - because with nobody home for 5 days we could get a lot of water, even from a small leak.  Good luck!

4 hours ago, donmuang37 said:

Hi,

We have a two story house and occasionally use two showers on upper floor simultaneously when we have guests.

Our house is 21 years old and we have used Mitsubishi WP-305 series (currently WP-305R) since we moved in.  Provides adequate water pressure to run two showers and more.  The only problem we've had is that occasionally a pump would surge.  If so, not every "plumber" knows how to adjust it, so we had to find the right guy.  Once adjusted, normally ran for years.  Have had 3 so far, one of which was fine until destroyed by the mega-flood of 2011.  I'm happy with Mitsubishi.

If your house was built properly, I wouldn't worry too much about water pressure causing leaks.  However, as a precaution, we shut off the water pump when we take a trip.  Just in case - because with nobody home for 5 days we could get a lot of water, even from a small leak.  Good luck!

We can not agree as found even the larger model inadequate to provide a normal flow for showers (ie hotel or normal USA pressure).  Agree they are good units if pressure not a driving factor,  As for leaks - many homes will have failures at corner 90 degree elbows as often pipe not cut to proper length and instead of allowing tight fit out from wall they will make it fit with extra sealant.  Not that much of a problem if you have access but when covered can be a problem.  Won't mention the house in Conakry that they saved money and used thin plastic conduit for all pipes.  Have not seen that here (yet).

Edited by lopburi3