Is S Korea racist towards Thais? Dehumanizing immigration ordeal says yes

webfact

On 2/23/2024 at 5:03 PM, sqwakvfr said:

I was born in Busan.  I grew up in California and have been back to the "Land of the morning calm" many times.  When I go back to Korea I am a JAF (Just Another Foreigner).  Korea does not allow dual citizenship.   I think it is less racism and probably xenophobia or even the old feeling of "my country and my people are better than you".  Many Koreans are fiercely proud of their country, customs and contributions to the world.  That is if KPOP or KDramas are actually contributions?  Th truth is Korea has the lowest birthrate in the developed world (this from the OECD) and desperately needs foreign workers.  Of course the expectation is people from SE Asia will do the DDD jobs (Dirty, Dangerous and Dehumanizing).  Does anyone think a Thai National will get an office job at Samsung Headquarters.  

Dude, dual citizenship is allowed, if you're a biological male, if you served in the army, you can have it, eligible biological females have it (the ones that apply for it), so if you're male and over 38 years old you are eligible to apply for it.  That policy went into effect when 이명박 was president.

On 2/23/2024 at 4:44 PM, TTSIssues said:

There certainly is a certain irony in this article !

although to be fair to South Korea my ex went on an organised tour with 30+ other Thais. When it came to go home, she was the only one who turned up for the group bus to the airport, the rest of them scarpered to go and work illegally !

This is why there's such scrutiny towards Thai nationals at immigration, the little ghosts problem, yet if you call them out on it, it's our fault, even my wife (Thai national) she hates the little ghosts cuz it gives Thai people a bad image.  There was a news report on little ghosts by a Thai journalist and they killed him on the comments.  Thailand is a no visa country to South Korea, all they had to do was do a visa run every 85 to 90 days and they wouldn't have this problem.  The little ghosts have nothing to do with this?  Ridiculous logic.

On 2/23/2024 at 4:29 PM, digbeth said:

Thais also can travel visa-free to Japan, why is it less of a problem there? Japan is still activel welcoming Thai tourist 

Japan doesn't have the little ghosts problem South Korea has. If it starts, trust me they'll nip it in the bud.

On 2/23/2024 at 9:02 AM, zhounan said:

Racism is not an exclusive trait of Whites, as many would have us believe.

South Koreans and Thais are also racist.

But this is not the case.

My Malaysian, Indonesian, Vietnamese friends don't have problems at immigration in South Korea.  The reasons there's scrutiny over Thai nationals, there is a little ghost problem here.  They are the #1 overstays (they surpassed the Filipinos) working illegally working in farms, factories, bars, Thai massage shops, etc.  Why isn't this fact ever mentioned?  Oh that's right when a Thai news reporter did an investigative piece they killed him in the comments!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/23/2024 at 9:19 AM, stoner said:

there are approx 100 000 thai working illegally in SK. i'm sure that has nothing to do with it. 

THANK YOU!  Finally someone that gets it!!!  My friends from Malaysia, Indonesia, Singapore, Vietnam, PI, etc don't have this same level of scrutiny.  once again THANK YOU. 

• Agree 1

On 2/23/2024 at 9:20 AM, ikke1959 said:

Is that something like the pot and the kettle?? Many Thais abused their visa for overstaying in S Korea and stayed to work there.. Wondering why there are stricter measures now for Thai??? Thailand is doing the same with other countries too

Thank you for knowing the facts, my wife (Thai national) she kept urging them do a visa run every 85 days, don't overstay and she said you're gonna cause problems for other Thai people later, fell on deaf ears.  Now these people are angry at Koreans for their choices and screwing it up for the honest Thai people???

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/23/2024 at 1:05 PM, proton said:

So many Thais turning up and working illegally, what do they expect? Four of our family have been there 6 years, another one got deported and one turned back at the airport last year. Koreans must get a bit jaded with their lies at immigration.

Believe it or not, there are Thai Facebook groups where people offer services on how to pass the interview at South Korea immigration at the airport.

• Haha 1

On 2/23/2024 at 5:15 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Not really….  If you’ve ever been to Japan you’ll see Thai’s there everywhere.

The TG flights are always full of Thai tourists.

Tokyo metro & subway is cheap.

Ramen is 230 baht / a beer is 140-200 baht in most places. 

Japan is doing very well out of Thai Middle Classes tourism.

Go to Hakuba, Niseko, Furano, Kuraro in ski season & there are always Thai’s there. 

Japan is an incredibly popular tourist destination for Thai’s. 

Japan also doesn't have the little ghosts probelm.

27 minutes ago, joonchan said:

Thank you for knowing the facts, my wife (Thai national) she kept urging them do a visa run every 85 days, don't overstay and she said you're gonna cause problems for other Thai people later, fell on deaf ears.  Now these people are angry at Koreans for their choices and screwing it up for the honest Thai people???

It are always the few who let the most good willing pay.. Thailand does the same with foreigners. A few are ruining it for the 90% good ones

• Love It 1

On 2/23/2024 at 7:17 AM, patongphil said:

Not surprised here.

Tens of thousands of Thais work illegally in S. Korea. My brother in law was one of them until caught and deported last year.

Now busy trying to get enough money together to return, again illegally.

Hasn't he learned his lesson? He's probably blacklisted. Tell him to find work in Thailand. 

On 2/27/2024 at 7:59 PM, Barnet1900 said:

Every time I take the missus back to the UK the only grief we get is both visits to Suvarnabhumi airport.

The immigration dept in the UK are first class. Friendly, passive yet asking the relevant questions.

Every time I take my son out of Thailand alone I get interrogated. I don't mind them asking the necessary questions but it's their sheer attitude that gets me. Treat you like a criminal before you sit down.

How Thailand can complain about any immigration anywhere in the world is a joke. They're by far the worst part of living/travelling here.

Like many posts mention, now you know how it feels.

While I have yet to take my son out of Thailand alone, reading and hearing reports from others who have, suggest that at land borders they don't even ask for documents from the mother (better to bring something along though in case you're asked) while at airport immigration they simply ask for said documentation. They don't make a big fuss at all, unlike western countries.

18 hours ago, joonchan said:

Dude, dual citizenship is allowed, if you're a biological male, if you served in the army, you can have it, eligible biological females have it (the ones that apply for it), so if you're male and over 38 years old you are eligible to apply for it.  That policy went into effect when 이명박 was president.

I am an old man and have never met a Korean person who has dual citizenship. Joon, how many dual Korean citizens do you know of? 

1 hour ago, sqwakvfr said:

I am an old man and have never met a Korean person who has dual citizenship. Joon, how many dual Korean citizens do you know of? 

I’m Korean and grew up in West Hollywood and lived in Korea the last 20 years. 

23 minutes ago, joonchan said:

I’m Korean and grew up in West Hollywood and lived in Korea the last 20 years. 

So you are a Dual Korean-American citizen? I was born in Busan and grew in Los Angeles County.  When I became a naturalized American Citizen my korean Citizenship was renounced. 

31 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

So you are a Dual Korean-American citizen? I was born in Busan and grew in Los Angeles County.  When I became a naturalized American Citizen my korean Citizenship was renounced. 

Once again President 이병박 allowed dual citizenship, for biological males, if they served in the army, and for biological women, if they meet US citizenship requirements.  Don't know how people that renounced citizenship works, that's outside of my expertise.  For example my 여돈생 & 형 renounced her citizenship last year although they became citizens a long time ago they renounced it at the 동사무소 (now called 주민센터) but they could've gotten dual citizenship, but for inheritance purposes the 법무사 recommended renouncing citizenship, don't know why...my sister was upset about it...

6 minutes ago, joonchan said:

Once again President 이병박 allowed dual citizenship, for biological males, if they served in the army, and for biological women, if they meet US citizenship requirements.  Don't know how people that renounced citizenship works, that's outside of my expertise.  For example my 여돈생 & 형 renounced her citizenship last year although they became citizens a long time ago they renounced it at the 동사무소 (now called 주민센터) but they could've gotten dual citizenship, but for inheritance purposes the 법무사 recommended renouncing citizenship, don't know why...my sister was upset about it...

So the answer is no.  If one renounces why can’t theyregain at a later time?  IF one leaves S. Korea as child and becomes a citizen of another country then  they would not qualify because they left before the age of military service?  Also, just because it is now allowed doe not make it reality for many.  

Edited by sqwakvfr

20 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

It are always the few who let the most good willing pay.. Thailand does the same with foreigners. A few are ruining it for the 90% good ones

You're so right, I have a person saying Koreans are the most racist, he or she or they must have a relative that's a little ghost.  So my wife or my Thai friends, when they come to Korea I tell them to give them my number so if there's a problem at immigration they can call me and I'll vouch for them, but these are people that I know won't run away to go to work, cuz I don't want to be stuck with a fine! 

8 hours ago, Highlandman said:

While I have yet to take my son out of Thailand alone, reading and hearing reports from others who have, suggest that at land borders they don't even ask for documents from the mother (better to bring something along though in case you're asked) while at airport immigration they simply ask for said documentation. They don't make a big fuss at all, unlike western countries.

Complete nonsense whoever told you that. I've been going back every year for 8 years. Every time they ask for evidence. You have to show a video recording of her reading what she wrote. On one occasion I had to video call her from the airport to substantiate the paperwork. Immigration issues a document that you can obtain in advance if you want to be certain. 

I reiterate what I said previously. I think being careful about taking kids out of the country is completely necessary. I have no issue answering their questions. It's the manner in which they conduct the interview. Like you've done something wrong.

I never had any fuss at all from the UK. Straight through every time. If a foreign parent wants to leave the UK with his/her child, without the native parent then they should be questioned and prove they will return. What if you have a row with the missus and she books back to Thailand with your kid in tow? You've no chance of getting your kid back and she disappears without "fuss".

• Haha 1

On 2/22/2024 at 5:10 PM, spidermike007 said:

If this is the case, it is best to simply boycott South Korea entirely. It is not like they offer entirely unique sights. You don't want us? OK. No problem. See ya. 

There is nothing interesting in South Korea anyways.  

If you want culture Japan is far more interesting and not much more expensive.  

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

23 hours ago, Neeranam said:

My racism? They are maybe the most racist in Asia! 

The way things are:  With the history of wars in the asia pacific region it is not enough to apologize for something.  You must wait three generations for it to pass before they are forgiven.

ITs the way things are, will always be, forever and ever amen.  At least for our lives.

To want something different is impossible, its in them from an early age.

It's the way they are brought up.  So if one wants to chuck racism card around, the entire continent of asia is racist then.  I'm sure they have their own opinions of north america trying to make a living and not feeling at all welcome for no reason.  

It's all about perception.  The nattering of some assumedly white guy telling the world how it is and how it should be is irrelevant to how things are.

On 2/23/2024 at 7:10 AM, spidermike007 said:

If this is the case, it is best to simply boycott South Korea entirely. It is not like they offer entirely unique sights. You don't want us? OK. No problem. See ya. 

The money in the MPs isn't as good elsewhere.

On 3/2/2024 at 8:48 PM, Barnet1900 said:

Complete nonsense whoever told you that. I've been going back every year for 8 years. Every time they ask for evidence. You have to show a video recording of her reading what she wrote. On one occasion I had to video call her from the airport to substantiate the paperwork. Immigration issues a document that you can obtain in advance if you want to be certain. 

I reiterate what I said previously. I think being careful about taking kids out of the country is completely necessary. I have no issue answering their questions. It's the manner in which they conduct the interview. Like you've done something wrong.

I never had any fuss at all from the UK. Straight through every time. If a foreign parent wants to leave the UK with his/her child, without the native parent then they should be questioned and prove they will return. What if you have a row with the missus and she books back to Thailand with your kid in tow? You've no chance of getting your kid back and she disappears without "fuss".

I've observed Thai children going through land immigration ports of entry alone or with just one parent without issue. 

I've even asked immigration officials and they said there is no need for the father's permission if a mother takes her children to a neighboring country alone. For a father, written permission including a copy of the ID card of the mother and tabien Baan is good to have but may not be requested.

Airport immigration is more thorough, but experiences vary. Just because you seem to have been targeted and have had frustrating experiences (in your words) doesn't mean this is standard. 

Edited by Highlandman

55 minutes ago, Highlandman said:

I've observed Thai children going through land immigration ports of entry alone or with just one parent without issue. 

I've even asked immigration officials and they said there is no need for the father's permission if a mother takes her children to a neighboring country alone. For a father, written permission including a copy of the ID card of the mother and tabien Baan is good to have but may not be requested.

Airport immigration is more thorough, but experiences vary. Just because you seem to have been targeted and have had frustrating experiences (in your words) doesn't mean this is standard. 

Are you talking about foreign parents taking kids out of any country of their birth without the parent who is from that country? I.e. a foreign dad taking his kid out of Thailand without the Thai mum?

I'm not talking about the native parent. I haven't said I'm targeted or frustrated with the policy. I'm in favour of there being strict guidelines. I've said that clearly in my post. You said western countries make a fuss, not Thailand. I defended any country checking and don't class it as "fuss". My point is that Thailand do question you, that's from experience not heresy.

I think you're trying to sway what I'm saying into me claiming to be a victim. I have never said I was targeted nor frustrated. I said their attitude towards the questioning is wrong. You can easily ask questions politely and in a matter of fact manner. On every occasion I visit home it feels like an unnecessary interrogation, especially when my son has countless exit and reentry stamps in his passport that occur on the same dates each year.

Your initial post said that your friends said that no evidence is required yet now you say you do have to bring documentation in case they do ask.

This proves that you do need evidence and you will potentially be questioned. Essentially, you do need to talk to immigration which is exactly what I said happens, unless you're exceptionally fortunate and only a fool would take a gamble on that.

If you're happy to take your chances and try and leave Thailand, unaccompanied, with a half-Thai child, without any documentation then best of luck to you. I know for a fact they ask and once again, I wasn't targeted, they did their jobs as they rightfully should do. Just need to adjust their way of talking to someone who has all the documentation they ask for.

On 3/3/2024 at 12:01 AM, Blumpie said:

There is nothing interesting in South Korea anyways.  

If you want culture Japan is far more interesting and not much more expensive.  

Whatever you must be a Thai national and have a relative that's a little ghost.  So funny when people don't have an argument, you resort to insults.  Must be an incel

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/23/2024 at 1:10 PM, spidermike007 said:

Yes, are ferangs constantly being told if they don't like being treated as second class subhumans in Thailand, then don't come to the Land of Smiles?

Don't go crying when the shoe is on the other foot!

Edited by Ricardo99
Typos
  • Love It 1