Treating Acid Reflux with Magnesium?

Dario

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

It is impossible to comment without knowing the reason for both prescribing and then stopping the aspirin and also whether an anticoagulant of some type was prescribed when the aspirin was stopped.

@Dario can you be more specific as to your cardiac history?  And are you under the care of a cardiologist? What other medications are you on?

It is standard to give omeprazole when someone is on aspirin.  This is not done to prevent reflux but rather to prevent irritation of the stomach lining (gastritis) and ulcers.

When going off drugs of this type, there is often a rebound increase in acidity; it can be very difficult to stop these medications and one sometimes needs to do it gradually, for example (if already on one tablet a day) taking every other day first for a while.

If you have reflux then naturally you will feel it more once off omeprazole. It is important to understand that omeprazole does not in any way  stop reflux. It only makes it less painful by lowering the acidity of the stomach contents.

Measures that will help reduce or stop reflux include:

- avoid or minimize caffeine (coffee, chocolate, tea etc.

- don't smoke/stop smoking

- lose weight if at all overweight

-avoid eating too much at one time; several small meals are better than fewer large ones

- do not eat for 2 hours before lying down

- elevate the head of the bed. This can be done by special pillows or by bricks/concrete blocks under the bed.

-avoid any particular foods that seem to trigger this. This is highly individual.

- consider whether you take any medications that may be causing this or worsening it

Sorry, I was to late to reattach the files, here we go:

meds 240622.jpg

meds 260124.jpg

7 hours ago, Dario said:

I'm a diabetic since probably about 2 decades and among all the medication I take I have been given one omeprazole 20 mg per day for as long as I can remember. At my last check-up on JAN 26 my doctor took me off omeprazole.
Not a good idea. A few days later I developed acid reflux which has persisted to this day. I relieve it a bit by taking half a tsp of baking soda diluted in some cold 7-up once a day.
Then I came across (video link removed by Moderation) of a doctor that prescribes her patients Magnesium. When I further researched I found that one specific type of magnesium to take is magnesium glycinate. Google it, there are many videos about it. I looked on Lazada and found (name removed by Moderation) product which I ordered. It arrived yesterday, so last night I took my first capsule. Apparently there are some fake capsules on the market and I do hope the product I bought is not one of them, since the website mentioned on the container is offline. I'll let you know in about one month if my condition has improved or not.

Who knows that this post might help others as apparently many people suffer from acid reflux.

Amogin Gel. Last thing I swig before bed. I have hiatus hernia so need it.

aviary-image-1708932560151.jpeg

12 minutes ago, Crazy Noobie said:

I believe taking Omeprazole once a day is the route to go. If you eat some of the wrong foods that day that will cause more acid to be produced, then maybe take an extra Omeprazole in the evening. I have been taking Omeprazole since 1990 and it works perfectly for reducing stomach acid. To help with acid reflux, taking Omeprazole and watch your diet helps a lot. I do not understand why the Doctor took you off of it? Here in Thailand I buy the brand Meracid (green box) and it is not expensive at all. I believe you said you were 78 years old, so to actually go and fix the root of the problem, you would have to have an operation. Which is out of the question for your age. As the operation is not a simple one. But the biggest advice I could give you, is you do not want to have acid reflux. So control your acid production by taking Omeprazole and watch what you eat. Of course I am not a Doctor, but I have experienced all of this. Years a go I had acid reflux and I didn't take care of it. I had to have an operation to fix my stomach value to try and stop my acid reflux. But it was too late for me, as the harm from the acid reflux already caused too much damage. When you have acid reflux, which means the acid from your stomach goes up into your esophagus. Your stomach has special lining to protect it from the acid, your esophagus does not. So when the acid goes up into your esophagus, your body tries to fight it, which causes the cells to become abnormal. Bingo you now have cancer of the esophagus. And the odds of making it is like 97% against you. In 1990 I had cancer of the esophagus and they had to remove it. Then they removed my stomach and relocated it to rest above my right lung and of course reconnected everything. Back then this type of operation only had a survival rate of 3%. Out of the 3%, only 1% lived past the first year. I am the only person that has beat all of the odds and have lived 34 years past the operation so far. I am blessed that I am a live and so grateful. I am 73 years old now. When I looked back at everything, I wish I would of taken my acid reflux more serious. Sorry for writing a book.

Thank you for your contribution. You weren't writing a book. I read everything in awe. AMAZING what you have gone through and how you have beaten all odds. I wish you many more years and I hope you have someone beside you when life becomes too difficult. God bless!

• Love It 1

3 hours ago, Dario said:

Thank you for giving your time to this situation. Sheryl, I just turned 78, so about my history: i can't remember any dates. I had my first angina pectoris back in Europe, that's about 40 years ago. Then I had twice a heart attack, once in Bangkok, can't remember the year, possibly about 30 years ago and another one in Pattaya, I was then treated at Pattaya Memorial, I remember that.

What I believe what I have is a heart valve problem. The valve doesn't close completely and let blood pass. I completely forgot the correct wording, it escaped me. If I suddenly remember, I will let you know. I often get chest pain, if necessary I take a Celebrex capsule or two.

I'm not under the care of a cardiologist. No need now.

For the medication I'm on, its' for my diabetes. I attach two pictures. One showing the meds prescribed before I was taken off omeprazole and a 81 mg.

Medical Check-up Rattanaburi 240622.jpg

Tha Tum Hospital book 26 01 2024.jpg

History of heart attacks, valvular disease and angina:

You do have a need for ongoing, periodic  supervision by a cardiologist, and most importantly. you should not go off aspirin unless advised by a cardiologist familiar with your history that it is safe to do so or (likely best option) given an alternative medication such as clopigrel.

Your GERD is not likely caused by any of the meds you are one. Are you overweight? Do you drink coffee? Tend to eat close to bedtime?

19 minutes ago, Crazy Noobie said:

I believe taking Omeprazole once a day is the route to go. If you eat some of the wrong foods that day that will cause more acid to be produced, then maybe take an extra Omeprazole in the evening. I have been taking Omeprazole since 1990 and it works perfectly for reducing stomach acid. To help with acid reflux, taking Omeprazole and watch your diet helps a lot. I do not understand why the Doctor took you off of it? Here in Thailand I buy the brand Meracid (green box) and it is not expensive at all. I believe you said you were 78 years old, so to actually go and fix the root of the problem, you would have to have an operation. Which is out of the question for your age. As the operation is not a simple one. But the biggest advice I could give you, is you do not want to have acid reflux. So control your acid production by taking Omeprazole and watch what you eat. Of course I am not a Doctor, but I have experienced all of this. Years a go I had acid reflux and I didn't take care of it. I had to have an operation to fix my stomach value to try and stop my acid reflux. But it was too late for me, as the harm from the acid reflux already caused too much damage. When you have acid reflux, which means the acid from your stomach goes up into your esophagus. Your stomach has special lining to protect it from the acid, your esophagus does not. So when the acid goes up into your esophagus, your body tries to fight it, which causes the cells to become abnormal. Bingo you now have cancer of the esophagus. And the odds of making it is like 97% against you. In 1990 I had cancer of the esophagus and they had to remove it. Then they removed my stomach and relocated it to rest above my right lung and of course reconnected everything. Back then this type of operation only had a survival rate of 3%. Out of the 3%, only 1% lived past the first year. I am the only person that has beat all of the odds and have lived 34 years past the operation so far. I am blessed that I am a live and so grateful. I am 73 years old now. When I looked back at everything, I wish I would of taken my acid reflux more serious. Sorry for writing a book.

Sorry to hear about all your troubles - and glad you beat the odds!

But I must correct one point: an operation is not usually indicated to resolve GERD. It would be indicated only if the cause was a severe hiatal hernia (which was presumably the cause in your case).

There are many other causes. Age itself is one of them. When combined with obesity and a tendency to lie down on a full stomach, so much the worse. Coffee and other caffeine is also a big culprit and more likely to cause problems as one ages since its effect on the lower esophageal sphincter (LES) is augmented by the natural LES weakening that occurs from age.

Another cause can be bacterial or fungal overgrowth in the small intestine, leading to gas build up. Often the reflux is actually accompanying a small upward passage of gas which may nto be readily noticeable, but explains why the LES opened.  This may also happen in the absence of bacterial of fungal overgrowth due to ingestion of foods apt to cause gas. As one ages, this is more prevalent.

One should certainly nto allow regular reflux to take place, but there are risks  to long term use of drugs like omeprazole. See https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6372031/

Best approach is tofirst  try to reduce the need for omeprazole by lifestyle modifications as previously advised.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

History of heart attacks, valvular disease and angina:

You do have a need for ongoing, periodic  supervision by a cardiologist, and most importantly. you should not go off aspirin unless advised by a cardiologist familiar with your history that it is safe to do so or (likely best option) given an alternative medication such as clopigrel.

Your GERD is not likely caused by any of the meds you are one. Are you overweight? Do you drink coffee? Tend to eat close to bedtime?

Thank you so much, Sheryl, your advice is very much appreciated. "you should not go off aspirin"  You wouldn't believe, but my wife got 50 baby aspirins today which will help me a bit until May 3 when I have my next appointment. My pharmacist had some over and she said she only gives them to us, you know that pharmacies have been banned from selling Aspirin OTC. I will take one every two days together with an omeprazole.

For a periodic supervision by a cardiologist I will talk to my doctor and ask her advice when I have my next appointment, and of course: ask her to reinstate me on aspirin.

2 minutes ago, Dario said:

Thank you so much, Sheryl, your advice is very much appreciated. "you should not go off aspirin"  You wouldn't believe, but my wife got 50 baby aspirins today which will help me a bit until May 3 when I have my next appointment. My pharmacist had some over and she said she only gives them to us, you know that pharmacies have been banned from selling Aspirin OTC. I will take one every two days together with an omeprazole.

For a periodic supervision by a cardiologist I will talk to my doctor and ask her advice when I have my next appointment, and of course: ask her to reinstate me on aspirin.

Pharmacies are not banned from selling aspirin.  Just required to have a full fledged pharmacist in hand at all times if selling it (rarer than one might think) and also to keep records of sales. Some do not meet that criteria or want to bother.

It is easily gotten from online pharmacies such as Medisafe and https://bangkokdrugstore.com/?s=aspirin

if  hard to get at the pharmacies near you.

When used to prevent reduce the risk of stroke in cases like yours aspirin dose needs to be daily, not every other day.

Aspirin does not cause GERD but it can cause gastritis. Clopigrel is an alternative drug in cases like yours if the aspirin is too irritating to the stomach. (You would know that by symptoms other than reflux, aspirin does not cause reflux).

Which government hospital do you attend/where are you located? Small community hospitals and even some provinicial hospitals will not have cardiologists but you do nto need a referral to go to a higher level government hospital which does.

7 hours ago, Dario said:

Good question. I don't know. She also took me off Aspirin 81 mg which I was given as long as Omeprazole. My next doctor's appointment (in a government hospital} is still far away on May 3, but mostly I always get another doctor. I hate those visits as I usually stay there from 06:00 to about 11:30/12;00! My meagre pension does not allow me to go to a private hospital.

Your Aspirin may be the cause of your reflux. To take Omeprazole open ended isn't so good for you either. May be find out the cause of your reflux? 

I used to get heart burn that would kill a bull Elephant because I had an Osophegial Ulcer and I was told I needed to take a pill for the rest of my life. After a checkup at Queen Sirikit hospital and telling the Navy doctor I spoke to, he implored me to stop taking most of the meds I was taking. So I went looking for an alternative and Raw Apple Cider Vinegar was the answer. It needs to be the unfiltered type which still has the Mother in the bottle, I take 1 tablespoon in a good sized glass with soda water, that I started that maybe 8 or 9 years ago now and I can't remember the last time I had heart burn. Just recently I have switched to Coconut Cider Vinegar and that works just as well and is considerably cheaper.

Edited by Pungdo

Just now, Letseng said:

Your Aspirin may be the cause of your reflux. To take Omeprazole open ended isn't so good for you either. May be find out the cause of your reflux? 

Just to add: It is counter productive to use bicarb for acidity in 7up. Sugar promotes acidity. Use water instead.

2 minutes ago, Pungdo said:

I used to get heart burn that would kill a bull Elephant because I had an Osophegial Ulcer and I was told I needed to take a pill for the rest of my life. After a checkup at Queen Sirikit hospital and telling the Navy doctor I spoke to, he implored me to stop taking most of the meds I was taking. So I went looking for an alternative and Raw Apple Cider Vinegar was the answer. It needs to be the unfiltered type which still has the Mother in the bottle, I take 1 tablespoon in a good sized glass with soda water, that I started that maybe 8 or 9 years ago now and I can't remember the last time I had heart burn. Just recently I have switched to Coconut Cider Vinegar and that works just as well and is considerably cheaper.

Just heartburn is one issue, reflux is an added problem. 

4 hours ago, Sheryl said:

It is impossible to comment without knowing the reason for both prescribing and then stopping the aspirin and also whether an anticoagulant of some type was prescribed when the aspirin was stopped.

@Dario can you be more specific as to your cardiac history?  And are you under the care of a cardiologist? What other medications are you on?

It is standard to give omeprazole when someone is on aspirin.  This is not done to prevent reflux but rather to prevent irritation of the stomach lining (gastritis) and ulcers.

When going off drugs of this type, there is often a rebound increase in acidity; it can be very difficult to stop these medications and one sometimes needs to do it gradually, for example (if already on one tablet a day) taking every other day first for a while.

If you have reflux then naturally you will feel it more once off omeprazole. It is important to understand that omeprazole does not in any way  stop reflux. It only makes it less painful by lowering the acidity of the stomach contents.

Measures that will help reduce or stop reflux include:

- avoid or minimize caffeine (coffee, chocolate, tea etc.

- don't smoke/stop smoking

- lose weight if at all overweight

-avoid eating too much at one time; several small meals are better than fewer large ones

- do not eat for 2 hours before lying down

- elevate the head of the bed. This can be done by special pillows or by bricks/concrete blocks under the bed.

-avoid any particular foods that seem to trigger this. This is highly individual.

- consider whether you take any medications that may be causing this or worsening it

Whole heartedly agree with Cheryl's 'Measures that will help reduce or stop reflux include'.

If I can add, keep a check on your diet and narrow down those foods which cause the reflux.

It varies with from one person to another, but tomatoes, cucumber, apples and oranges, can be the cause. Even lean red meat and white bread can be a problem. Keep notes on all food you eat and then leave out the culprits.

8 hours ago, Dario said:

I'm a diabetic since probably about 2 decades and among all the medication I take I have been given one omeprazole 20 mg per day for as long as I can remember. At my last check-up on JAN 26 my doctor took me off omeprazole.
Not a good idea. A few days later I developed acid reflux which has persisted to this day. I relieve it a bit by taking half a tsp of baking soda diluted in some cold 7-up once a day.
Then I came across (video link removed by Moderation) of a doctor that prescribes her patients Magnesium. When I further researched I found that one specific type of magnesium to take is magnesium glycinate. Google it, there are many videos about it. I looked on Lazada and found (name removed by Moderation) product which I ordered. It arrived yesterday, so last night I took my first capsule. Apparently there are some fake capsules on the market and I do hope the product I bought is not one of them, since the website mentioned on the container is offline. I'll let you know in about one month if my condition has improved or not.

Who knows that this post might help others as apparently many people suffer from acid reflux.

Hi Dario ,

You and me have similar health problems , remember the nerve condition and benfotamine ?  

Well I also have had re-flux for as long as I can remember and used to eat Rennies ( antacid tablets ) as if they were sweets , to quell the acid .  I am also taking omeprazole which works well as a preventitive not a cure . Long term use of omeprazole is not recommended in the UK . The NHS state up to 3 months . I have been on it for over 20 years . The omeprazole reduces the strength of the stomach acid  and  re flux . However the stomach needs the acid to digest food t and extract and pass vitamins to other organs .  Aspirin is frowned on in Thailand as it can cause stomach bleeding . Do you know that soluable aspirin is banned in Thailand . Yet it could be a life saver in the event of a heart attack or thrombosis  . Warfarin is the preferred medication as a blood thinner  in Thailand along with a few other anticoagulants .   

Never mind the reflux , you must speak to a doctor quickly regarding the withdrawal of the baby aspirin and a possible  blood thinner replacement  for your cardiac condition .

Strangely enough I purposely did not take an omeprazole this morning . I was ok for about 4 hours , when after lunch the indigestion started . I do have some liquid gaviscon which stops the re flux for an hour or 2 . Coffee and smoking are two of the main causes of re flux along with spicy food and acidic fruits . Long term use of omeprazole can have effects , link below . I am not a medic but I am quoting my experiences and advice given to me by UK doctors . 

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/drugs-dexilant-side-effects?utm_source=ReadNext#talk-with-your-doctor

8 hours ago, Dario said:

It's well known. Even it will help with diabetes, muscle pain and blood pressure sometimes. Side effect: sometimes diarrhoea.

nobody unless people with an ulcer should take omeprazole for longer than a few weeks

your stomach acid cells re-awake and you have a rebound effect =  yes, produce too much for a while...

gaviscom, lol... plaster on wooden leg

baking soda, yes, but never before or after meals...and only works a few hours...

type 2 or type 1 ?

if type 2... learn to fast, stop eating junk, lose weight...

1 hour ago, Negita43 said:

Isn't that a form or omeprazole?

No.

Omperazole is a PPI. Systemic effects.

Gaviscon is an antacid containing aluminum hydroxide and magnesium carbonate. There is minimal systemic absorption, the effect is mainly direct on the stomach contents. Antacids such as thsi are the preferred first line treatment for heartburn, with PPIs reserved for more severe cases. Main disadvantage of Gaviscon etc is short duration of action.

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

Pharmacies are not banned from selling aspirin.  Just required to have a full fledged pharmacist in hand at all times if selling it (rarer than one might think) and also to keep records of sales. Some do not meet that criteria or want to bother.

It is easily gotten from online pharmacies such as Medisafe and https://bangkokdrugstore.com/?s=aspirin

if  hard to get at the pharmacies near you.

When used to prevent reduce the risk of stroke in cases like yours aspirin dose needs to be daily, not every other day.

Aspirin does not cause GERD but it can cause gastritis. Clopigrel is an alternative drug in cases like yours if the aspirin is too irritating to the stomach. (You would know that by symptoms other than reflux, aspirin does not cause reflux).

Which government hospital do you attend/where are you located? Small community hospitals and even some provinicial hospitals will not have cardiologists but you do nto need a referral to go to a higher level government hospital which does.

The government hospital I attend is located in Tha Tum, northern Surin province.

1 hour ago, Letseng said:

Just heartburn is one issue, reflux is an added problem. 

"Heartburn" is a lay term without precise medical meaning.

People commonly use it to describe discomfort due to reflux but may also use it to describe discomfort/pain from gastritis.

6 minutes ago, Dario said:

The government hospital I attend is located in Tha Tum, northern Surin province.

This is a small community hospital. It will not have a cardiologist. The doctors will be young, recent graduates without specialty training and (as amply demonstrated by the stopping of hte aspirin) are not adequately trained to manage your cardiac issues and related measures.

There might be a cardiologist available at Surin Provincial Hospital and will definitely be one at Maharat Hospital in Korat town (main government hospital, a regional facility and much larger than Surin).

Unless you have free health care through your wife being a civil servant, you do NOT need a referral to go to one of these places and see a specialist.

The best approach is through the "after hours" clinic, as that way you can directly see a senior consultant; through the public channel it will take longer and you may only see a resident in training. The after hours clinic in an upcountry government hospital will cost a couple of hundred baht more than the public channel (250 vs 50 baht out where I am, but it does vary)  but well worth it if you can manage it...especially when having to travel a bit to the hospital to begin with. Typically the after hours clinics begin around 4 PM, should try to get in queue before that.

6 hours ago, Dario said:

Thank you for giving your time to this situation. Sheryl, I just turned 78, so about my history: i can't remember any dates. I had my first angina pectoris back in Europe, that's about 40 years ago. Then I had twice a heart attack, once in Bangkok, can't remember the year, possibly about 30 years ago and another one in Pattaya, I was then treated at Pattaya Memorial, I remember that.

What I believe what I have is a heart valve problem. The valve doesn't close completely and let blood pass. I completely forgot the correct wording, it escaped me. If I suddenly remember, I will let you know. I often get chest pain, if necessary I take a Celebrex capsule or two.

I'm not under the care of a cardiologist. No need now.

For the medication I'm on, its' for my diabetes. I attach two pictures. One showing the meds prescribed before I was taken off omeprazole and a 81 mg.

Medical Check-up Rattanaburi 240622.jpg

Tha Tum Hospital book 26 01 2024.jpg

You may want to get checked for bile duct sludge, it does mimic the effect of angina.

If you follow Sheryl's advice on physical adjustments, you should get improvement.

I was on pantoprazole for years. No longer necessary as I have made the changes mentioned in Sheryl's post.

I do take half a teaspoon of baking soda in a glass of water prior to retiring. I also have a glass or bottle of water to sip from at night.

48 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Gaviscon is an antacid containing aluminum hydroxide and magnesium carbonate. There is minimal systemic absorption, the effect is mainly direct on the stomach contents. Antacids such as thsi are the preferred first line treatment for heartburn, with PPIs reserved for more severe cases. Main disadvantage of Gaviscon etc is short duration of action.

Apologies, I was refering to Gaviscon Guardium which I had used in Europe.

Guardium acid reflux control 20mg gastro-resistant tablets, contains Esomeprazole. Always read the label.

Edited by Negita43
add

10 hours ago, Dario said:

Good question. I don't know. She also took me off Aspirin 81 mg which I was given as long as Omeprazole. My next doctor's appointment (in a government hospital} is still far away on May 3, but mostly I always get another doctor. I hate those visits as I usually stay there from 06:00 to about 11:30/12;00! My meagre pension does not allow me to go to a private hospital.

I’m not sure if another member will mention but I read recently that Omeprazole is no longer prescribed because of a recent study that found it harmful. I don’t have an acid problem so didn’t read the article only took heed as a buddy of mine takes it. 

4 hours ago, Will B Good said:

My life would not be worth living without omeprazole.....tried to come off it.......tried alternatives.....been on it for 14 years now.

How often do you take it. ?

I'm trying to get off it at present. 2 years on it, with a hiatal hernia as well.

doc said don't need an op. just life style and diet change.

easy said than done.

• Agree 1

I used to take Omeprazole every day because it worked so well.  But I later experimented a bit and found that taking it every 2-3 days worked just as well for me.  Literally just as well.  Maybe a thought if the lifestyle changes aren't feasible (or until they are).

My girl, on the other hand...vicious GERD.  Super healthy diet.  Banana, sweet potatoes, fish, chicken, mango, papaya, oatmeal, granola...exercises, doesn't drink, smoke or even eat rice.

Avoids every known trigger we could find and still gets GERD.  Had an Endoscopy done, no result.  Tried every "-prazole" medication we could find, talked to a half dozen GI docs, at least.  Nothing works completely.  Gaviscon sometimes helps, sometimes not.

I realized there was fiber in everything she was eating.  Cut out some of the fiber, seemed to help.  Helped maybe 50%.  Not sure why she's still getting issues.

Any thoughts, @Sheryl on what you would try next?

Edited by QuantumQuandry