Requirements to be a teacher China Myanmar

I just was reading about a guy aged about 60 from Australia who went to China to be a english teacher

Apparently he had no previous experience

It sounds exciting life 

I like to change my life now I'm 60 and wonder what the requirements are for places like China , Myanmar , Cambodia 

Is it easy to apply in China ??

I remember when China wanted to Westernize so desperately that they would hire anyone from the US that had blond hair and blue eyes to teach English or American culture even without a college degree.  I think those days are gone....

These are the requirements to teach in China:

"To legally find a job working in China, English teachers require a bachelor's degree and a TEFL certification with a minimum of 120-hours or two years of teaching experience. It is impossible to obtain a Z Visa, which is the only visa English teachers can legitimately work on in China, without these qualifications."

https://www.internationalteflacademy.com/blog/requirements-for-teaching-english-in-china

• Thanks 1

Well that's not good for me China thanks for the link.

It says if your over 60 your not employed 

What about Vietnam?

I just want a part time job so I can retire from Australia

I have my retirement fund already so won't need much 

I can get a TEFL but I have no uni degree 

Maybe Nepal ? Myanmar?

Anyone know where I can go to teach easily ?

Edited by georgegeorgia

5 minutes ago, Korat Kiwi said:

Don't know if I'd want to be doing much in Myanmar.... Its a bit unstable methinks. 

Although others maybe able to confirm what it's like for foreigners. Could be a bit risky. 

I only have another 20 years of life left so I can take risks 

• Haha 2

I've taught in Aus, Indonesia, China and Thailand.

Should have a degree and TEFL (or equivalent).

Some language schools may just require a TEFL certificate.

You mainly should meet the requirements to get a work permit, that's why you need a degree.

Teaching anywhere without a work permit leaves you open to jail or abuse.

Many Asian countries have a retirement age of 60 years old.

I hear what you're saying.  I've done a few places that people may have deemed dodgy,  Iraq, Afghanistan, Bougainville to name a few. 

Actually had a great time in all those places.  I'm now looking at Dump truck driving in WA.  And I'm in my 60s too. 

• Love It 1

1 hour ago, georgegeorgia said:

Well that's not good for me China thanks for the link.

It says if your over 60 your not employed 

What about Vietnam?

I just want a part time job so I can retire from Australia

I have my retirement fund already so won't need much 

I can get a TEFL but I have no uni degree 

Maybe Nepal ? Myanmar?

Anyone know where I can go to teach easily ?

You should choose some other field besides teaching English.

The reason we teach is to benefit students, and not to live an exciting life.

I teach, in my Golden Years, because I have a lot of experience in language acquisition and strategies for success.

I have also helped students from age 10 to Gad School with ESL learning, to the tune of over 10 thousand hours.

Teaching can provide a purpose in life when nothing much else does.

This is good for the teacher, and very good for the student.

To be a teacher, one must enjoy teaching, and to be an ESL teacher, one must enjoy both learning and teaching to those who are interested in language acquisition.

Most teachers do not perform as well as they could UNLESS they, too, have learned a second or third language.

Simply because they have no first-hand experience with learning a second language.  They have no clue.

They are idiots, trying to teach something that they have never experienced.  IDIOTS!, I say!

But, that is just my opinion.

• Haha 2

"to be a teacher China"

When teaching the students in China, or from China, it is always best to have an Ivy degree.

Most Chinese students have plans to go to Harvard.

Therefore, the teacher should have graduated from Harvard, OR, from a school like PENN.

I tell my students that PENN is superior to Harvard.

And, I know I am correct, culturally speaking, and in many other respects, as well.

PENN is just better than Harvard in so many ways, especially for education, although my degree was not in Ed.

I would suggest PENN to any of my Chinese students.

And, obviously, I know how to get in.....!

Note:  Naturally, before even considering entering an IVY school like Harvard or Penn, one should have an IQ of at least 135 to 140, as a starting prerequisite.

Why is this?

Just check out the SAT scores of Harvard and Penn students, or MIT students, for that matter.

If you do not have an IQ of about 140, minimum, then you are going to struggle all the way through.

Therefore, be smart, first, then apply to Harvard or Penn.

This is my best advice to you, and my students.

Chinese students are smart, and hardworking, and they have grit.

So, some of my students, a few, might get in to Penn, in a few years.

Edited by GammaGlobulin

One other justification for teaching the Chinese is this:

a.  Life in China, these days, is crappy, based on many metrics.

b.  Growing up, being a child in China, is tough, and extremely competitive.

c.  Life for all of us, these days, is crappy, just referring to the prospects for the human race in coming decades.

d.  Therefore, anything a good teacher can do to improve the chances for success of just a few students is a blessing.  And, the provision of such blessing provides the teacher with a reason to live, when there are no longer many reasons one can think of.  So, as Randy Newman sings:  You give me reason to live, teaching gives me a reason to live. Teaching, itself, at least for me, is exciting, as well. I find it exciting to create "unique" strategies for ESL learning, such as vocabulary acquisition, reading comprehension, and writing skills.

Please note: I would say that the writing I do on TV is not entirely representative of my academic writing, by the way.  However, YOU be the judge....

• 2 weeks later...

China usually will not accept teachers who are older than 60 (there can be exceptions).

From experience, Myanmar will accept teachers who are not older than 120...

I'm 65 now and have various employment offers to return to teach again in Myanmar, typically paying $2,500 USD tax-free per month.  Although I'm keen to go (the civil war doesn't really disrupt daily life in the larger cities), some underlying small health issues mean that it's probably not wise for me to go there, in case those small health issues flare up and then I'm in the poo-poo with no access to a decent hospital etc. 

On 3/11/2024 at 4:25 PM, simon43 said:

China usually will not accept teachers who are older than 60 (there can be exceptions).

From experience, Myanmar will accept teachers who are not older than 120...

I'm 65 now and have various employment offers to return to teach again in Myanmar, typically paying $2,500 USD tax-free per month.  Although I'm keen to go (the civil war doesn't really disrupt daily life in the larger cities), some underlying small health issues mean that it's probably not wise for me to go there, in case those small health issues flare up and then I'm in the poo-poo with no access to a decent hospital etc. 

What teaching qualification do you have ?

Does Burma require it ?

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/13/2024 at 4:05 AM, georgegeorgia said:

What teaching qualification do you have ?

Does Burma require it ?

When I started teaching in Myanmar I had no teaching qualifications except for an in-class TEFL certificate.  I did have my Bachelor and post-grad degrees in electronics, but I was initially employed to teach English to 5 year olds.... (being paid $2,500 tax-free to sing nursery rhymes was fine by me).

Subsequently, I did study for various CPD certificates in Phonics and speech therapy and child pedagogy (so I could understand how young people learn etc).  I was offered a place on a iPGCE course at Nottingham University, but turned it down because a) I would have to pay about 4,000 quid to study the course and b) the lack of a teaching degree had not held me back from obtaining good teaching jobs in both Myanmar and Laos.

• 1 month later...
On 2/26/2024 at 8:13 AM, Korat Kiwi said:

I hear what you're saying.  I've done a few places that people may have deemed dodgy,  Iraq, Afghanistan, Bougainville to name a few. 

Actually had a great time in all those places.  I'm now looking at Dump truck driving in WA.  And I'm in my 60s too. 

Obviously have your retirement plans laid out well in advance