Navy Suspected Of Attempting To Keep Sunken Corvette A Mystery

webfact

image.jpeg

THE NAVY HAS BEEN SUSPECTED of attempting to keep the sunken corvette HTMS Sukhothai (FSG-442) literally buried undersea to make the actual cause of 2022’s incident an unsolved mystery.

In today’s (Feb 26) press conference, Move Forward MP Chayapon Satondee said members of the public could probably suspect that the navy may have attempted to hide the actual cause of HTMS Sukhothai’s sinking from being ever known to the public after it has been otherwise retrieved from the 50-metre-deep bottom of the sea off Prachuap Khiri Khan.

The tragic mishap of the US-built corvette which capsized and sank in a stormy seas on Dec. 18, 2022 reportedly killed 24 sailors and rendered five others missing.

“Given a sustained delay in the planned retrieval of the corvette from undersea, one cannot help suspecting that the navy may have ultimately intended to keep the ship literally buried undersea for fear that pieces of evidence otherwise retrieved to the surface could probably unveil the actual cause of the incident,” Chayapon said.

By Thai Newsroom Reporters

TOP: A composite photo showing HTMS Sukhothai sailing then sinking. Photos: Tha RAth

Full story: THAI NEWSROOM 2024-02-27

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

A composite photo showing HTMS Sukhothai sailing then sinking. Photos: Thai Rath

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, webfact said:

“Given a sustained delay in the planned retrieval of the corvette from undersea, one cannot help suspecting that the navy may have ultimately intended to keep the ship literally buried undersea for fear that pieces of evidence otherwise retrieved to the surface could probably unveil the actual cause of the incident,”

I can understand that, was it damaged before sinking or just bad seaman ship?

• Like 1

From what I have read regarding the circumstanses of the sinking the most probable cause would be the rough sea hatches were not secured, possibly due to ventilation issues or lack of maintenance 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

53 minutes ago, Geoffggi said:

From what I have read regarding the circumstanses of the sinking the most probable cause would be the rough sea hatches were not secured, possibly due to ventilation issues or lack of maintenance 

i read too, an inference there was a group of non-Naval personnel being entertained onboard and the Captain was pushing the Corvette too hard into a banked turn in the storm and was swamped, foundered, then sank. Sorry i have no link or other info. to offer, just this hearsay rumour, for what its worth. I'm sure others heard same.

RIP to those who perished.

3 minutes ago, tandor said:

i read too, an inference there was a group of non-Naval personnel being entertained onboard and the Captain was pushing the Corvette too hard into a banked turn in the storm and was swamped, foundered, then sank. Sorry i have no link or other info. to offer, just this hearsay rumour, for what its worth. I'm sure others heard same.

RIP to those who perished.

I hear what you say but have not read this story, even so these vessels are designed to be swamped with water without it having any detrimental effect, but if the rough sea hatches or doors are open ..............

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

reportedly killed 24 sailors

Let's not forget the deaths that in part may have been caused by the lack of life vests for all personnel.

A captain of such a shortage might be charged with negligent homicide that would not bode well for the reputation of the military in general.

• Thumbs Up 1

I can understand why they would want to keep this a secret, it was likely negligence on the part of a crewman, or faulty maintenance. The captain of the ship should have not only been fired but he should have lost his position entirely from the Navy. They have a lot to cover up, the armed forces in Thailand are not exactly what we would refer to as transparent, nor are they accountable, and they certainly would like to keep it that way. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1