Imagine this ! I would buy one

2 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

I heard Trump is a big supporter of EVs

Trump is another dinosaur, and out of touch with some realities, as are many ignorant people.

Paraphrased from link, Trump's misconceptions:

"Electric vehicles

"Nobody wants to buy" electric vehicles. False. 

"They (Electric vehicles) don't go far" before needing to be charged. Half true. Most EVs on the road today travel 200 to 300 miles, with some going well over 300, before needing a charge. Many EVs now can go nearly as far as ICE (internal combustion engine) vehicles before needing to refuel.

"They (Electric vehicles) are very expensive." Mostly false, depending on the vehicle. 

"They require far fewer jobs to make. Michigan you're going to get so screwed." Mostly true. The claim of fewer jobs to build electric vehicles is believed to be true, but has not been proven yet.

"They ordered a hit job on Michigan manufacturing with this insane electric vehicle mandate." Mostly false. In fact, the global auto market is moving to electric vehicles and will be a majority of vehicles sold in the next 20 years or so.

The Detroit Three could be out of business. In addition, automakers have invested billions in Michigan and other parts of the U.S. to lay the groundwork for local electric vehicle production.

"If we build all the charging booths that are necessary, the country would go bankrupt. It costs, like, $3 trillion." False."

Edited by KhunLA
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Trump is another dinosaur, and out of touch with some realities, as are many ignorant people.

Paraphrased from link, Trump's misconceptions:

"Electric vehicles

"Nobody wants to buy" electric vehicles. False. 

"They (Electric vehicles) don't go far" before needing to be charged. Half true. Most EVs on the road today travel 200 to 300 miles, with some going well over 300, before needing a charge. Many EVs now can go nearly as far as ICE (internal combustion engine) vehicles before needing to refuel.

"They (Electric vehicles) are very expensive." Mostly false, depending on the vehicle. 

"They require far fewer jobs to make. Michigan you're going to get so screwed." Mostly true. The claim of fewer jobs to build electric vehicles is believed to be true, but has not been proven yet.

"They ordered a hit job on Michigan manufacturing with this insane electric vehicle mandate." Mostly false. In fact, the global auto market is moving to electric vehicles and will be a majority of vehicles sold in the next 20 years or so.

The Detroit Three could be out of business. In addition, automakers have invested billions in Michigan and other parts of the U.S. to lay the groundwork for local electric vehicle production.

"If we build all the charging booths that are necessary, the country would go bankrupt. It costs, like, $3 trillion." False."

You missed: "Electric vehicles need to be charged every 15 minutes".

The giant pumpkin-headed buffoon.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Explain please.

Pull in carport, turn off car, exit car, now the charging process:

... open charging port door - plug in ... all of 10 seconds

... unlock car, stop charging - unplug ... maybe 30-45 seconds,

as need to wait for app to load, to stop charging.

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

Pull in carport, turn off car, exit car, now the charging process:

... open charging port door - plug in ... all of 10 seconds

... unlock car, stop charging - unplug ... maybe 30-45 seconds,

as need to wait for app to load, to stop charging.

And after that ONE MINUTE charge, what's the range of your car?

Or is it 'all of 10 seconds'. Go have dinner, go to kip for 6 - 8 hours, then in the morning,  'unlock car..............' Ah, you never locked it in the first sentence. 

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

The car is charging in between 'plug in' & 'unplugg'.  For most, they are in for the night and sleeping.

You have to 'unlock' the car, to unplug, or you can't unplug.  If topped up (MG ZS), then unlock, and unplug.  10 seconds, if that.  If not topped up / 100%, then app has to cycle, and press 'finish charging'.  Hence the 30-45 seconds.

Only time you are actually physically waiting for it to charge, is when O&A, on the road.  After 3+ hours, it's  welcome break, and takes about 30 ish minutes to get back up to 90+ %.   Which allows time to stretch the legs, take dog for a walk, hit the toilet ourselves, browse the PTT Park shops, vendors, food court, KFC, Amazon Coffee (no thanks), 7-11 for snack, brekkie, or stock up before getting to hotel.

Me, I'll check local hotels on internet, and make a final decision.   Many, most times, the car is done charging before we're done, especially if I haven't picked a hotel before charging, as that can be time consuming.  Very rare, we're waiting for the car to add another 5-10% more charge, to be in the 90-95% range.   Last 5% loads slow, so not waiting to get to 100%, unless preoccupied, and it tops up.

That last 5ish % can take 20 minutes, so I need to quite busy if we get to 100% before leaving the CS.

Or if another EV shows up, and no slot open, then we won't bother to top up further than 90% and simply unplug, so they can get started.  We're in no hurry to go anywhere, or need to be anywhere.

If having an ICEV, the stops wouldn't be much different.

Yes, we all know how much you love having a leisurely lunch at a pump while on a road trip...

• Love It 2

7 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

We're in no hurry to go anywhere, or need to be anywhere.

But what if you were in a hurry say to get to the airport, hate looking round Park shops, don't have a dog on board, hate 7-11 snacks, but like Amazon coffee. 

Yeh, each to their own needs. I'll stick with my Toyota lump.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Yes, we all know how much you love having a leisurely lunch at a pump while on a road trip...

Most have food courts, which is no different than any ma/pa shophouse offerings.  Many have KFC, McDs (no thanks), Burger King, or even Black Canyon.   That's if on the main roads, and not near town, in town, or have vendors & restaurants near the CS station.   

It's a pitstop, and some offer no more, or no less, than we might pop in and eat at, while walking around town, just happen to conveniently have a charging cable at same location.

Our we could be picky, for what ever reason, as some restaurants, coffee shop, most malls, and hotels offer charging.  

I'm sure all you ICEV driver's never let the wife & family out of the car while topping up :coffee1:

30 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

But what if you were in a hurry say to get to the airport, hate looking round Park shops, don't have a dog on board, hate 7-11 snacks, but like Amazon coffee. 

Yeh, each to their own needs. I'll stick with my Toyota lump.

I'm happy for you, enjoy.   Isn't it a beautiful would, we all have options that make us happy :coffee1:

But unlike you ICEV folks, we don't scrutinize your choices.  Let that one sink in, don't hurt yourself.

Or did I miss these anti ICEV threads:

... why buy non Chinese Legacy cars, because they are expensive

... Everything that's wrong with ICEVs ... an endless list

... would you buy an ICEV- fire hazard 

... is there a future for ICEVs

... bye bye ICEVs, hello EVs

... The problem with ICEVs

All anti EV threads, with modified title to ICEV instead of EV.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I'm happy for you, enjoy.   Isn't it a beautiful would, we all have options that make us happy :coffee1:

But unlike you ICEV folks, we don't scrutinize your choices.  Let that one sink in, don't hurt yourself.

Or did I miss these anti ICEV threads:

... why buy non Chinese Legacy cars, because they are expensive

... Everything that's wrong with ICEVs ... an endless list

... would you buy an ICEV- fire hazard 

... is there a future for ICEVs

... bye bye ICEVs, hello EVs

... The problem with ICEVs

All anti EV threads, with modified title to ICEV instead of EV.

OK, have a nice trip.

It WOULD be a beautiful WORLD for many if PTT, 7-11, McD, B King, KFC did not exist.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Agree 1

Never forget as you read these EV threads:

KhunLA claims to refuel his magical EVs with FREE electricity at his house.

AND ...

There's almost no overlap in mentality between the vested Early Adopter and ... anyone else.  

4 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

OK, have a nice trip.

It WOULD be a beautiful WORLD for many if PTT, 7-11, McD, B King, KFC did not exist.

PTTs & 7-11s, way too convenient.  KFC, who doesn't like Wing Zaps, and a food court, usually has one good vendors, along with fruit or treats from walkway vendors.  Other fast food vendors don't interest me.

Since we don't know when, what or where we're going to be, till we're almost there, then finalizing the hotel stay while charging is too convenient.   Snack, coffee, pastry, no matter what we're driving, that just doesn't change.

• Agree 1

33 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Most have food courts, which is no different than any ma/pa shophouse offerings.  Many have KFC, McDs (no thanks), Burger King, or even Black Canyon.   That's if on the main roads, and not near town, in town, or have vendors & restaurants near the CS station.   

It's a pitstop, and some offer no more, or no less, than we might pop in and eat at, while walking around town, just happen to conveniently have a charging cable at same location.

Our we could be picky, for what ever reason, as some restaurants, coffee shop, most malls, and hotels offer charging.  

I'm sure all you ICEV driver's never let the wife & family out of the car while topping up :coffee1:

:coffee1:

6 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Correct ... excess solar doesn't cost me anything extra.

Not an early Adopter, as waited decades after EVs were on the market, hybrids & BEVs.  Been available in TH for about 5 yrs, and only bought in when govt incentive offered, and my preferred EV was upgraded, or I would have simply kept my ICEV that I was very happy with.

When you already have solar, and the govt wants to give you 240k baht to buy a new car, that will cut your operating cost to 90% less than you present car ... well, what can I say, that's a no brainer for me.

Hey LA, you've convinced me, even without solar, an EV would suit me fine.

Out with the 11 year old, no-problem Vigo, in with the MG. Or HAVALs look good, or BYD. They look fabulous. Are the govt still subsidising EVs?

Edited by KannikaP

On 2/28/2024 at 12:13 PM, JBChiangRai said:

They vary between 6 and 30 minutes

I would like some factual information posted on how long it takes to recharge an EV that has done 400 km from a commercial dispenser, at normal temperatures.

I am not sure how this would vary with the battery capacity of the different EV models.

34 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Hey LA, you've convinced me, even without solar, an EV would suit me fine.

Out with the 11 year old, no-problem Vigo, in with the MG. Or HAVALs look good, or BYD. They look fabulous. Are the govt still subsidising EVs?

Yea, I think till 2025, or until the fund runs dry.  MG offers 240k (ZS) & 247k (EP) on 2 models, and I think the rest, MGs and other makes are in the 100k-150k range, though don't quote me.  

Even the Wuling Air (car) & DECO MBs get incentives now.

• Thumbs Up 1

41 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I would like some factual information posted on how long it takes to recharge an EV that has done 400 km from a commercial dispenser, at normal temperatures.

I am not sure how this would vary with the battery capacity of the different EV models.

Like it hasn't been posted enough times already.  And many cars take different times, different ranges, accept faster charging.  Charging cables range from 11-22-50-75-125-175kWh.  Depends on the vendor, and how much your car will accept.  

I can't speak for other makes/models, but MG ZS info has been spot on, if anything, negative numbers and performance is better than advertised.

Most cars will accept 50-75kWh, ours will accept 76kWh.  If researching, go by the WLTP rating, not the NEDC rating for range.  More accurate, and we actually get more than the WLTP  rating, unless on the highway at speed, then a bit less (10%) and only if maintaining 90 kph, which is hard to do in TH.

It's like asking, how far will an ICEV go on a tank of full.  At least 2 variables are not the same with every EV.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Agree 1

And the faster you charge the, the more energy is lost, but that's not really a concern if you get it free. I think the fast-charge is a little harder on the battery as well, yes? 

On 2/28/2024 at 12:10 PM, steve187 said:

my views are that EV's have not evolved enough to 100% replace ice vehicles, that's why some countries are seeing a big turndown in ev orders/sales

That's one opinion, though I disagree with it.  Only can speak for 2 countries, USA & TH, and sales are good.  Don't know or care about the rest of the world, but from my reading, BEV sales worldwide are UP.

32 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Do you have any proof? 

The onus of proof is on the believer.

If I told you my garden had invisible faeries the onus of proof would be on me to prove it did, not on you to prove it did not.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

The onus of proof is on the believer.

If I told you my garden had invisible faeries the onus of proof would be on me to prove it did, not on you to prove it did not.

So that's a no. 

5 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

And the faster you charge the, the more energy is lost, but that's not really a concern if you get it free. I think the fast-charge is a little harder on the battery as well, yes? 

A good way to look at it is like this, if the motor in the EV is rated at 150 kW, that means that it will draw 150 kW approximately from the battery under full power, if you’re charging at about half or two-thirds of that, then you’re fine.