Imagine this ! I would buy one

Just now, KhunLA said:

PEA price for electric has been steady, the past 20+ year, ฿3.5 - ฿4.5

Can't say the same about petrol prices.  When we bought the MG ZS ICE, E85 was about 15% less than 91.  Cost per 100 kms was about the same, but a wee bit more peppier with E85, since designed to use.

They sure did close that gap, as not not worth using, and about same price as 91, and 2X what it cost at the end of 2020.

Petrol price fluctuation in just those 3.5 years: 

Untitled.png

So you have conveniently ignored the possibility that electricity used for recharging EV's will be subject to a levy.  If we all stopped buying petrol or diesel how would you expect governments to recoup the lost revenue ?   Or maybe there will be a special tax on coffee and muffins,  maybe even a public toilet tax.  The money will need to come from somewhere. 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

So you have conveniently ignored the possibility that electricity used for recharging EV's will be subject to a levy.  If we all stopped buying petrol or diesel how would you expect governments to recoup the lost revenue ?   Or maybe there will be a special tax on coffee and muffins,  maybe even a public toilet tax.  The money will need to come from somewhere. 

How do you think they could tax electricity for vehicles?

It’s a bit difficult when it comes down the wire to your house.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

How do you think they could tax electricity for vehicles?

It’s a bit difficult when it comes down the wire to your house.

Jesus its not rocket science,   they could  simply supply you with a separate meter, hard wired to your charging device with a tamper proof seal.    The new smart meters being forced on the UK population are probably intended for that very purpose,  or soon will be ,  Its just a fad at the moment , once it becomes mainstream , rest assured they will have their pound of flesh one way or the other.     

4 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

George Michael paid some public toilet tax IIRC

Well he spent so much time in those places he considered it poll tax

1 minute ago, Bday Prang said:

Jesus its not rocket science,   they could  simply supply you with a separate meter, hard wired to your charging device with a tamper proof seal.    The new smart meters being forced on the UK population are probably intended for that very purpose,  or soon will be ,  Its just a fad at the moment , once it becomes mainstream , rest assured they will have their pound of flesh one way or the other.     

that wouldn’t work as you can just plug into an ordinary socket.

it would have to be an annual ownership tax or something like that

11 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

Another 'never going to happen 'what if' scenario.   I doubt if CS will charge more than 2X the home rate, as they aren't charged that now.   Some CS even offer 'off peak' rates.

Unlike the petrol pricing, competition is allowed.  And it only affect people when O&A.  No matter what the charge, it will always be much cheaper than petrol.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

that wouldn’t work as you can just plug into an ordinary socket.

it would have to be an annual ownership tax or something like that

There will be an ownership tax too  but I imagine there will be a mileage based charge as well, we'll just have to wait and see, 

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

There will be an ownership tax too  but I imagine there will be a mileage based charge as well, we'll just have to wait and see, 

The mileage based charge is on the way in Western countries but it will be multi-tier, ICE will be more expensive, EV will be the cheapest, or maybe Hydrogen.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Another 'never going to happen 'what if' scenario.   I doubt if CS will charge more than 2X the home rate, as they aren't charged that now.   Some CS even offer 'off peak' rates.

Unlike the petrol pricing, competition is allowed.  And it only affect people when O&A.  No matter what the charge, it will always be much cheaper than petrol.

Yea yea   thats what they said about diesel prices in the UK when they were recommending we all drove those for environmental reasons,  A few years down the line when many had switched to diesel  it was a completely different story.   Without the benefit of time travel you cannot possibly know that it will always be cheaper than petrol. you cannot know how the authorities will continue to fleece the motorist, 

4 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

The mileage based charge is on the way in Western countries but it will be multi-tier, ICE will be more expensive, EV will be the cheapest, or maybe Hydrogen.

If hydrogen power ever hits the mainstream there is no real reason why it would be any cheaper than petrol , which presumably will have ceased to be available.  I cant see into the future but I strongly believe that once the governments have had their pound of flesh, and the energy companies have got their heads together and devised a way to shaft motorists the cost of driving an EV will be very similar to the cost of driving a mainstream ICE today  probably more allowing for inflation

People are struggling to pay their electric bills as it is.  That is not by accident nor purely as a result of Ukraine or covid 19. They are fleecing us at every opportunity and will of course continue to fleece us as new opportunities arise.    When I was a kid we were told that nuclear power would mean virtually free electric for everybody "in the future".  remember that?  

Enjoy your cheap EV motoring while you can , but rest assured all good things must or rather will come to an end 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/28/2024 at 2:27 PM, KhunLA said:

I would have to spring for the extra 48k and get a NETA V, and kind of like them, although haven't sat in one, but specs & dimension would win me over any entry level ICEV in TH.  Only familiar with Vios (now Varis) or Mazda 2, and wouldn't think of buying one again.

Celerio 

image.png.fa77d5a70e09a8415ecd8dad9544fe92.png

NETA V if still discounted

image.png

That is awful !

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, phetphet said:

I was wondering to myself the other day what the life of the battery packs in EVs is, and cost to replace them. Only because I recently read that insurance costs for these vehicles is soaring in the UK.

The roads here in Samui are often flooded and drivers here tend to just plough through the waters. I would be very nervous doing that with a large battery powerpack under the floor of my car. 

I will stick with my ICE for now.

I will move from Samui if I was staying there.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...