Dealing with Dental Anxiety, non sedation Denistry?

Rhys

Greetings, especially Sheryl,

I seem to have had an acute panic attack when going for a crown on the front incisor.   I've checked the www and the BKK Dental hospitals (Very Expensive). What seems to be the best approach to reduce dental anxiety?  It has been suggested to see the MD (Psyc) for an Rx of Anxiety medication (Valium) and take this before the procedure.  Of course, have someone drive you to the office and back.  It has also been suggested for the distraction technique, listening to music or an audiobook.  I don't think the imagery and CBT is going to work for me.  Are there any options?

I know time to buck up... Any suggestions? 

1 hour ago, Rhys said:

I seem to have had an acute panic attack when going for a crown on the front incisor.   I've checked the www and the BKK Dental hospitals (Very Expensive). What seems to be the best approach to reduce dental anxiety?  It has been suggested to see the MD (Psyc) for an Rx of Anxiety medication (Valium) and take this before the procedure.  Of course, have someone drive you to the office and back.  It has also been suggested for the distraction technique, listening to music or an audiobook.  I don't think the imagery and CBT is going to work for me.  Are there any options?

2mg clonazepam 

It may help to go when your tired , 

I have the same thing anxiety at the dentist

I once worked a night shift then went to the dentist at 9am 

I was so tired I didn't feel any pain

Sleeping tablet maybe before you go and it valium 

• Confused 1

You've got White Coat syndrome.

I'm the same with having my blood pressure checked at hospitals and clinics.

Lots of people suffer from this and the only thing that works for me is valium.

Good luck.

I can give you my experience that I am sorry to say won't be much help but may be of some use to somebody. I am now 79.

I was never brought up to take care of my teeth so never visited dentists or even cleaned my teeth as a child. My first encounter was at aged 20 when I had serious toothache, about five years later, same again and had a tooth extracted with local anaesthetic. My last visit in 1976 for yet another bout of bad toothache; a similar situation - straight extraction.

I didn't visit another dentist for any reason until 2007 in Chiang Mai. By then, my remaining teeth were needing some real attention. At the clinic I was fully assessed, including Xrays and a subsequent appointment was made for the following month. Out of interest, my lack of concern for my teeth was never because of being scared of dentists or anaesthetic.

At last, I was doing something positive for my teeth and I was feeling proud of myself for being so "brave".

I sat in the chair and even at that point I was feeling absolutely fine. The local anaestheic was applied and a few seconds later I had difficulty breathing. The situation was difficult for the team there and they took me straight to hospital where I underwent oxygen relief. I went home shortly afterwards. So not what I would think of as White Coat syndrome or anxiety but something was going on - in my subconscious?

A day later, I was asked to get an allergy test for the anaesthetic with no negative outcome. The Clinic subsequently refused any future treatment for me and no fees from them of any kind!

As I write I still haven't managed to sort out my teeth. I haven't had toothache for many years. They don't help for facial appearance but I eat normally and to be fair, I have cleaned them two or three times a day for the last 15 years.

Yes, I know, there are justified criticisms of my lack of care in most of my lifetime, but you know, I am otherwise in perfect health.

I must have a tooth pulled and I have been putting it off for a considerable length of time .

After telling me it wasn’t gonna be painful to extract,The dentist said come back when it gets to the point where you must.

I usually get fillings , root canal’s and crowns!

I had this one dentist (maremoot) here ,in 2017 make me squirm with pain , while performing  a root canal , I don’t think she numbed it enough.

CBT would work (if you worked at it) but would take a lot of time. It is meant more for anxiety disorders in general not to get someone through a specific one-time procedure.

For that, the recommendation to see psych and get a cript for a tranquilizer seems reasonable and certainly less expensive (and safer) than trying to get this done under IV sedation.

• Like 1

My last visit was under a general.....given the choice I'd have a general just for the teeth cleaning.....but that last visit was for a double osteotomy.....that hurt.

20 hours ago, PeterA said:

I also hate going to the dentist.

About 7 years ago in the US I had a few fillings done.

I mentioned my disdain for novicaine injections. Once I had a tooth filled with no pain meds or injections. (Never again).

So this time, the doctor pinched my cheek  where the injection was going to happen, and shook my cheek vigorously for a minute, then did the injection. I swear, I felt noting at all.

Not even a pinch. I was amazed to say the least.

Mention this to the dentist who will do your work.

If they are unaware of it,  find a newly educated dentist.

My niece is a pediatric orthodontist, and she said she uses the procedure all the time.

Thank Peter A.. that is a new one for me. I will ask the DDS about this when I am ready for the procedures.  Saw a new DDS and I explained my situation... He seemed to understand. He spoke English ok and was a bit more friendly and showed me the issues on my incisors. I felt a little better about this... I have one more day to decide, however, I am inclined to go with see the Psyc MD for an Rx of anti-anxiety meds (2-3 tabs).  Thanks for the suggestions and insights...

squirrel-8592682.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
On 3/1/2024 at 8:07 PM, Sheryl said:

CBT would work (if you worked at it) but would take a lot of time. It is meant more for anxiety disorders in general not to get someone through a specific one-time procedure.

For that, the recommendation to see psych and get a cript for a tranquilizer seems reasonable and certainly less expensive (and safer) than trying to get this done under IV sedation.

UPDATE and a little confused:   Saw the Psych MD... and his recommendation was not what I expected... He proposed a 3-week course of therapy for the  panic attack episode.... not the syndrome... He prescribed (Trade names) Prozac, Klonopin, and Xanax... all three highly addictive. His rationale was he was not sure how I would react to a medication the day of the procedure.....well ok... However, in my layman's opinion, I felt all three treated panic attack, and I felt it was an overkill. I was not thrilled about taking those Psych Medications for that long and with those tapering protocols.  I just wanted something to calm me the day of the procedure... That is what I thought was acceptable, however, that was not the case in the Psych MDs treatment plan.   As a result, I will suck it up at my next DDS appointment for the crown procedure... I am not going to take those meds...

Edited by Rhys

4 hours ago, Rhys said:

UPDATE and a little confused:   Saw the Psych MD... and his recommendation was not what I expected... He proposed a 3-week course of therapy for the  panic attack episode.... not the syndrome... He prescribed (Trade names) Prozac, Klonopin, and Xanax... all three highly addictive. His rationale was he was not sure how I would react to a medication the day of the procedure.....well ok... However, in my layman's opinion, I felt all three treated panic attack, and I felt it was an overkill. I was not thrilled about taking those Psych Medications for that long and with those tapering protocols.  I just wanted something to calm me the day of the procedure... That is what I thought was acceptable, however, that was not the case in the Psych MDs treatment plan.   As a result, I will suck it up at my next DDS appointment for the crown procedure... I am not going to take those meds...

I would not take all that, either.

You could have just refused the Priozac and Klonopin at the pharmacy counter, saying you already had it, and received only the Xanax.

Crown procedure really is not at all bad and Thai dentists are usually pretty gentle. Where are you having it done?

On 3/2/2024 at 2:06 AM, riclag said:

I must have a tooth pulled and I have been putting it off for a considerable length of time .

After telling me it wasn’t gonna be painful to extract,The dentist said come back when it gets to the point where you must.

I usually get fillings , root canal’s and crowns!

I had this one dentist (maremoot) here ,in 2017 make me squirm with pain , while performing  a root canal , I don’t think she numbed it enough.

Sometimes the normal injection sites don't work properly. I had to have an injection directly into the tooth nerve and that was extremely painful, but had to be done. Soon as it worked there was no pain, of course.

• Thanks 1

On 3/3/2024 at 2:18 AM, PeterA said:

I also hate going to the dentist.

About 7 years ago in the US I had a few fillings done.

I mentioned my disdain for novicaine injections. Once I had a tooth filled with no pain meds or injections. (Never again).

So this time, the doctor pinched my cheek  where the injection was going to happen, and shook my cheek vigorously for a minute, then did the injection. I swear, I felt noting at all.

Not even a pinch. I was amazed to say the least.

Mention this to the dentist who will do your work.

If they are unaware of it,  find a newly educated dentist.

My niece is a pediatric orthodontist, and she said she uses the procedure all the time.

I never had injections for simple fillings, except for front teeth. Of course I had them for root canals.

I just hated injections more than the fillings, and they never hurt very much.

Can have topical anesthetic before the injections. Works well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I never had injections for simple fillings, except for front teeth. Of course I had them for root canals.

I just hated injections more than the fillings, and they never hurt very much.

Can have topical anesthetic before the injections. Works well.

Tried looking that up  topical anesthetic on my Thai-English dictionary!

mai me

On 3/1/2024 at 12:16 AM, Rhys said:

Read a post on Thai Visa today RE ;Valium,.. A  Foreigner  sitting in the back seat of a Phuket Taxi,    looking suspicious the Police said, was searched, a  Valium pill was found  in his pocket, so he was arrested

On 3/1/2024 at 12:16 AM, Rhys said:

There is  One and only one dentist I use in BKK  and thats  because I can get IV sedation, Ive had this  for over 30  years in the UK and here.  I  have found no other place that does it . Some people  write  bad things about this  practice, and they certainly arent  cheap but I dont  care as long as I get IV sedation . It costs  about 5000 baht  the person who does it teaches   it at a dental school, she speaks english is I guess  around 45-50 yrs  old. After youve  had IV sedation  you  will never  use anything else. Asavanant is the name , look it  up. Youy  will have to have a  blood  test at the hospital and general check up before you do it and they also check a  few  other  things, none of  which I had to do in the UK which I find  funny as everytime i  have it they request this. I do realise you say non sdedation butn ive never  found anything that helps

http://www.asavanant.com/index1.php

Edited by Rampant Rabbit
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

There is  One and only one dentist I use in BKK  and thats  because I can get IV sedation, Ive had this  for over 30  years in the UK and here.  I  have found no other place that does it . Some people  write  bad things about this  practice, and they certainly arent  cheap but I dont  care as long as I get IV sedation . It costs  about 5000 baht  the person who does it teaches   it at a dental school, she speaks english is I guess  around 45-50 yrs  old. After youve  had IV sedation  you  will never  use anything else. Asavanant is the name , look it  up. Youy  will have to have a  blood  test at the hospital and general check up before you do it and they also check a  few  other  things, none of  which I had to do in the UK which I find  funny as everytime i  have it they request this. I do realise you say non sdedation butn ive never  found anything that helps

http://www.asavanant.com/index1.php

Thanks for the referral.

On 3/1/2024 at 1:01 PM, ChrisKC said:

I can give you my experience that I am sorry to say won't be much help but may be of some use to somebody. I am now 79.

I was never brought up to take care of my teeth so never visited dentists or even cleaned my teeth as a child. My first encounter was at aged 20 when I had serious toothache, about five years later, same again and had a tooth extracted with local anaesthetic. My last visit in 1976 for yet another bout of bad toothache; a similar situation - straight extraction.

I didn't visit another dentist for any reason until 2007 in Chiang Mai. By then, my remaining teeth were needing some real attention. At the clinic I was fully assessed, including Xrays and a subsequent appointment was made for the following month. Out of interest, my lack of concern for my teeth was never because of being scared of dentists or anaesthetic.

At last, I was doing something positive for my teeth and I was feeling proud of myself for being so "brave".

I sat in the chair and even at that point I was feeling absolutely fine. The local anaestheic was applied and a few seconds later I had difficulty breathing. The situation was difficult for the team there and they took me straight to hospital where I underwent oxygen relief. I went home shortly afterwards. So not what I would think of as White Coat syndrome or anxiety but something was going on - in my subconscious?

A day later, I was asked to get an allergy test for the anaesthetic with no negative outcome. The Clinic subsequently refused any future treatment for me and no fees from them of any kind!

As I write I still haven't managed to sort out my teeth. I haven't had toothache for many years. They don't help for facial appearance but I eat normally and to be fair, I have cleaned them two or three times a day for the last 15 years.

Yes, I know, there are justified criticisms of my lack of care in most of my lifetime, but you know, I am otherwise in perfect health.

Are u British 😂

12 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

Are u British 😂

Yes, from my generation, quite common for little awareness of dental care. I readily accept lack of responsibility since adulthood. 

2 hours ago, ChrisKC said:

Yes, from my generation, quite common for little awareness of dental care. I readily accept lack of responsibility since adulthood. 

Funny. Around the world British people are portrayed as having the worst teeth and dental hygiene. Often in cartoons for example British characters or shown with crooked teeth or buck teeth. 

The dentistry in the UK is actually very bad. One third of people there have no access at all to dentists. People are resorting to pulling their own rotten teeth out at home.. 

It do not think you should be proud of the state of British people's dental care. Lol

23 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

Funny. Around the world British people are portrayed as having the worst teeth and dental hygiene. Often in cartoons for example British characters or shown with crooked teeth or buck teeth. 

The dentistry in the UK is actually very bad. One third of people there have no access at all to dentists. People are resorting to pulling their own rotten teeth out at home.. 

It do not think you should be proud of the state of British people's dental care. Lol

Where have I said or inferred or implied I am proud of such a situation?

UPDATE:  I had the procedure, Crowns for the two front Incisor.  Thursday 14 March... No meds, just tried to accept the discomfort and deal with it the best I could.   I Took Tylenol 500mg tab X 1 for a headache... Then listened to music as the DDS and Staff worked on my teeth.. they were caring and explained well.  They provided the TLC required and I was relaxed.  I tried to read up on all the self-help strategies for Dental Anxiety and that seemed to help.   I think the office environment, staffing and the general feeling of the office helped. The office was spacious, with cool color schemes; the procedure room size was big, and overlooked a visually comforting garden with pleasing flowers.. It seemed the staff made the office and procedure as easy as possible.   Phew... Cheers mates. 

• Thumbs Up 1