Fake cop shirks 1,500 baht bill from Michelin-starred Jay Fai

webfact

image.jpeg

Bangkok’s culinary Michelin-starred hotspot, Jay Fai, fell victim to a brazen food theft, leaving locals and tourists stunned as a fake cop vanished after downing a delectable 1,500-baht feast.

The Samranrat Police Station is hot on the trail of the impostor but with no affiliation to their force.

Colonel Tossapon Ampaipipatkul, the superintendent leading the investigation, reassured that the police would nab the culprit without fail. However, the audacious thief managed to pull off a daring heist right under the noses of the renowned street-food chef, Jay Fai, and her team.

The escapade unfolded when a customer, masquerading as a police inspector on urgent duty, bypassed the queue and ordered a sumptuous takeaway without parting with a single baht. Jay Fai’s daughter, who bravely confronted the con artist, described him as a middle-aged man of modest stature, cunningly exploiting his disguise to whisk away the prized crab meat omelette and Pad Kaprao.

Lamenting the absence of security cameras, Jay Fai’s daughter disclosed the rarity of such incidents, though some patrons have also attempted to escape paying their dues. With over three decades of culinary excellence, Jay Fai’s streetside eatery has become a fixture in Bangkok’s Phra Nakhon district, attracting a flurry of patrons, including Michelin Guide aficionados, reported The Nation.

Despite the setback, Jay Fai’s gastronomic prowess continues to draw crowds, with queues stretching beyond 200 during peak hours.

In related news, a restaurant owner in Chon Buri province is seeking justice after 20 customers refused to pay a 15,000 baht bill for food and drink. The customers claimed the cuisine was poor despite enjoying the abode’s ambience for over four hours.

In other news, a violent storm recently wreaked havoc in the province of Loei, with fierce winds throwing a person more than 3 metres away from a seafood restaurant. The intense weather event occurred on Tuesday, February 27, causing extensive damage to multiple areas in the Phu Ruea district. Security camera footage captured the moment the restaurant’s steel doors buckled under the wind’s force, slamming into an individual.

by Puntid Tantivangphaisa

Photo courtesy of The Nation

Source: The Thaiger 2024-03-02

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Despite the setback, Jay Fai’s gastronomic prowess continues to draw crowds, with queues stretching beyond 200 during peak hours.

At 1,500 baht or more a pop you'd think they could afford CCTV

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

It's hilarious that so many Thais flock to this place.....it's just another Thai restaurant in China Town.

That someone gave them a Michelin Star is testament to the con of these awards.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

She won't be going skint anytime soon on the back of this.

The hyperbole alone on her Michelin one-star for a street food place assures that.

Anybody who thinks that Pad Kapao and a crab omelette deserve 1500 baht wants their head testing,

Similarly, I need mine testing for buying her noodles the other day in Lotus.

Yep, she's now flogging dried noodles nationwide at about 50 baht a pop. I think normal Tom Yam noodles are around 7 or 8 baht a bag, aren't they?

They weren't worth the price difference, with or without a Michelin star.

• Thumbs Up 1

The first and last time I went there I got the feeling it was her daughters running the show exploiting their mother 'sister mole' for all she's got.  

Not sure what they will do when she dies. 

2 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

It's hilarious that so many Thais flock to this place.....it's just another Thai restaurant in China Town.

That someone gave them a Michelin Star is testament to the con of these awards.

Agreed. I would never wait so long, nor pay so much. Everyone I have talked to who have gone there tell me it is absolutely nothing special.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Fake cop shirks 1,500 baht bill from Michelin-starred Jay Fai

God luck to get away with that. 

Sounds like Karma .

People get Famous , get a Star .now they think they can charge what they want for something that  isn't anything special for an exuberant price.