Your personal opinion guns

17 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

This is a sick world, evil is everywhere and won't go away until God comes and ends this.

If only God could put an end to the evil of cancer.

Cancer is an evil disease.

If God will not put an end to the evil disease cancer, then, in your industry, do you have a gun with a silver bullet that can smite the Big C?

3 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

If only God could put an end to the evil of cancer.

Cancer is an evil disease.

If God will not put an end to the evil disease cancer, then, in your industry, do you have a gun with a silver bullet that can smite the Big C?

Dude!!  since god created everything , she created cancer also . 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

For what purpose?

Have any idea?

Surely....It is written!

In the Scriptures.

Looking at the results I am sure she was drinking too much.

Do you know how I know god is a she?

I am an Atheist, and the only time I use the phrase "Oh God" is when a female is involved.

Sadly sex is not always involved. :laugh:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Looking at the results I am sure she was drinking too much.

Do you know how I know god is a she?

I am an Atheist, and the only time I use the phrase "Oh God" is when a female is involved.

Sadly sex is not always involved. :laugh:

There is only ONE Atheist.

I am He.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

There is only ONE Atheist.

I am He.

Then you know what I mean

But not sure about the "One" comment, I think your math might be a little off 

6 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

Screenshot_20240303_140726.thumb.jpg.6b3cfc3e0e8ebe889c708ca201e6cdfc.jpg

Owning a gun to stop an oppressive government?

Just how long do they think a band of " militia" equipped from the Walmart catalogue, will stop an infantry company group and supporting arms?

10 minutes, 15 tops!

maybe 5

11 hours ago, cdemundo said:

"Obama took all the guns remember"

Actually I don't remember that.

"4 Years After Sandy Hook, Obama Leaves a Legacy of Little Progress on Gun Laws

No federal gun laws have been passed during his two terms, and gun sales are up...

Yet for all the words, Obama has made little federal progress toward what he has repeatedly described as "common-sense gun laws." It is, the outgoing president has acknowledged, one of the biggest regrets of his time in the White House."

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/years-sandy-hook-obama-leaves-legacy-progress-gun/story?id=44163755

It's not his legacy it's The Gop/NRA legacy.

11 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Not an Obama fan, but there is basically nothing he could do, aside from what he only does, is talk a good line.  Gun laws are out of his hands, and in the hands of the voters.

Apparently, they seem to be happy or content with the laws of their state, or I'd think they would press their reps to change them.   That's simply not happening on a state or federal level.

That good line got us out of a Republican recession and health care    Hmmmm  

• Confused 2

On 3/2/2024 at 9:33 AM, georgegeorgia said:

Absolutely ain't that the truth .

But ...I guess all.of us can't live in wealthy areas as us Academics

We unfortunately have the peasants and lower class uneducated among us ! 

Isnt that strange, all these uneducated lower class people, have the right to carry gun as much as you do? And the more legal guns, the more illegal stolen guns will become available. Strange how this endless circle of violence is created, isn't?

Edited by Hummin
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Then you know what I mean

But not sure about the "One" comment, I think your math might be a little off 

There is only one true God.

I am the only one true Atheist.

My math is correct.

11 hours ago, brianthainess said:

I have no objection to shooting rabbits if you eat them, my mum used to make a delicious rabbit stew. But to kill anything for fun is sad. 

I used to go pheasant shooting every Sunday with some titled persons.  A nice bunch, but rather expensive (500 quid) for the day's shooting, although that did include lunch.  

But I wasn't interested in killing lots of the birds.  I was happy to kill 2 pheasant and then take them home to eat, (after hanging them for a week in the attic!).  

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm a member of a gun club in Thailand and I use either their guns or those of a Thai friend who has a licence.  I enjoy shooting at the club but that's as far as it goes. I had a shotgun licence in the UK at one time as protection against predators on livestock but later I had no real use for it so didn't renew it.

I really can't see any justification for holding a gun - in any country.  It seems to me that countries where the public are allowed to have a gun, are also those with high amounts of gun crime - the US being a prime example.

Frightenting numbers:

As of 15 February 2024, 4994 people have died through gun violence in the US with 3351 injured - almost 5000 dead in 6 weeks!!!!

During 2023 the total deaths by gun violence in the US was 43,065 with more than 36,000 injured!

https://abcnews.go.com/US/gun-violence-claimed-lives-5000-people-2024/story?id=107262776

I don't think anything further needs to be added to the above numbers, they speak for themselves - gun ownership = gun crime.

I will never understand the crazy relationship between US citizens and their guns when there have been so many Mass Shootings - especially when those shootings take place at schools.

I remember the Friday night brawls that often took place between drunken, testosterone fueled youths in my home town in the UK - I wonder what the outcome of those fights would have been if those youths were carrying guns?  So many stories about shootings in Thailand seem to arise whilst people are out at some function or event.  Its not the way to settle an argument, even if you're drunk but it seems to be happening more and more.

Most criminals that use their guns in public, or those that have a licence for one but use it illegally, seem to end up dead. Where's the protection in dead?

On 3/1/2024 at 11:16 PM, Will B Good said:

Regardless of eating or not eating the meat it is wrong......but your are correct.....I will never understand the mind of a hunter (or a Trump supporter or a Republican for that matter).

What about democrat supporters of meat hunting?   Do you understand the mind of those people?  

19 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

I didn't miss your point. You just listed things that don't exist. Guns are not the problem. Guns by themselves can't hurt anything. People are, and always will be, the problem. Meaning disturbed, narcissistic, mentally ill people who's only agenda is to hurt others because they either weren't raised with the thought that human lives are precious, or in the minority of cases, were born with that predisposition. People will and have killed with anything they can get their hands on. Knives, guns, baseball bats, sticks, hammers, screwdrivers, ice picks, even pens and pencils.                                                                                                                                                                                                                    People all have a dark side. A smart person keeps it under wraps, only letting it out when it's necessary, as in self defense or in defense or family, friends or property. Jealousy has some do things that are irrational, meaning they get cheated on and take revenge, instead of leaving the person who cheated on them, seeing it as their problem and that they weren't worthy if you treated them right.                                                                                                                        Some people have hard depression and take their own lives, thinking there is no other way around their present feelings. Some use guns, all will do anything they can to end the pain. The real problem is not many really care. Courts will punish some and let others go who are worse. Money talks instead of common sense. Thinking ridding the world of guns will make it a safer place aren't seeing the real picture. Evil is among us all day long. We elect narcissistic leaders who's only concern is money and power. Some start out trying to help, but get caught up in the power aspect and think that's all the matters. Seeing that this evil will always be among us because it's part of human nature, what's to be done? Judges and police forces doing the jobs intended instead of letting people go because they can pay their way out. Not having children unless you are both mentally and financially capable of raising them in a loving environment. Girls not having sex with just anyone because he's cute, instead looking at what kind of partner and maybe father ho could be.                                       Curbing the violence is necessary of course, but how to do this is if some people are unstable? The breakdown of the family is the destruction of a civilized world. It all starts at home. Everyone who has gone out into the world and intentionally hurt someone weren't taught that lives matter as a child. Either they saw their parents solving problems with violence or their parents weren't available and they learned by seeing what their peers do, many of which come from unstable homes themselves.                                  Guns are necessary for a few reasons. To curb crime, to hunt, to target shoot for fun, to fight against those unstable people who are out to hurt others. To keep this crazed world safe from people who really don't belong here. Some guns aren't necessary but getting rid of them won't solve the problem.

No brah.

It's the guns.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MangoKorat said:

I'm a member of a gun club in Thailand and I use either their guns or those of a Thai friend who has a licence.  I enjoy shooting at the club but that's as far as it goes. I had a shotgun licence in the UK at one time as protection against predators on livestock but later I had no real use for it so didn't renew it.

I really can't see any justification for holding a gun - in any country.  It seems to me that countries where the public are allowed to have a gun, are also those with high amounts of gun crime - the US being a prime example.

Frightenting numbers:

As of 15 February 2024, 4994 people have died through gun violence in the US with 3351 injured - almost 5000 dead in 6 weeks!!!!

During 2023 the total deaths by gun violence in the US was 43,065 with more than 36,000 injured!

https://abcnews.go.com/US/gun-violence-claimed-lives-5000-people-2024/story?id=107262776

I don't think anything further needs to be added to the above numbers, they speak for themselves - gun ownership = gun crime.

I will never understand the crazy relationship between US citizens and their guns when there have been so many Mass Shootings - especially when those shootings take place at schools.

I remember the Friday night brawls that often took place between drunken, testosterone fueled youths in my home town in the UK - I wonder what the outcome of those fights would have been if those youths were carrying guns?  So many stories about shootings in Thailand seem to arise whilst people are out at some function or event.  Its not the way to settle an argument, even if you're drunk but it seems to be happening more and more.

Most criminals that use their guns in public, or those that have a licence for one but use it illegally, seem to end up dead. Where's the protection in dead?

What you seem to be missing is that's its the illegal guns, gangs and suicides that are the main gun crimes everywhere. Mass shootings aren't being done by people who are hunters, target shooters like yourself and people wanting them for self defense. They are done by people who steal or take guns from someone else, and those who bought them on impulses, thinking they will be able to kill many because they are sick individuals that target innocents.

• Agree 1

56 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

What you seem to be missing is that's its the illegal guns, gangs and suicides that are the main gun crimes everywhere. Mass shootings aren't being done by people who are hunters, target shooters like yourself and people wanting them for self defense. They are done by people who steal or take guns from someone else, and those who bought them on impulses, thinking they will be able to kill many because they are sick individuals that target innocents.

1) The two mass shootings in the UK which led to much stricter gun control, Hungerford (1987) and Dunblane (1996) were both carried out with legal weapons.

2) The UK response was to simply drive to remove guns from society as far as possible. Dunblane led to one of the few examples of overwhelming public pressure leading to rapid government action. Legal restrictions were increased to drastically limit ownership, and guns were confiscated/bought back. It was at times controversial, some people felt their rights to own guns were infringed, but it reduced, dramatically, the weapons in circulation, legal and illegal.

We haven't had a "mass shooting" since. Australia and New Zealand have done very much the same thing.

It can be done. It requires a government which is sensitive to public pressure, and not one in which one of the majority parties is totally beholden to the gun manufacturers lobby.

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

A ramrod isn't needed if you don't patch the ball. That was the usual loading style of the British Army in mêlée in the 1800's.  Dump in the powder, spit the ball down the barrel, and tamp the shoulder stock on the ground to seat it, prime the pan, and fire.  Much faster reload, although not as accurate as a patched ball.

I used to do this often during my Black Powder days in the '70's.

16 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I always used a ramrod.

I always used a patch.

I always used black powder.

And, I always cleaned the barrel of the gun with water.

So many skills were lost once we had finished off the last of the Mohicans!

2 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

What  do I seem to be missing?

How about Ethan Crumbley for starters? Killed 4 students with a gun bought for him by his parents.

Seung-Hui Cho? Killed 32 people, both his guns were bought legally.

Adam Lanza, killed 27 people including his mother with a legally owned gun.

The list goes on.

Contrary to what you state above, 'the vast majority of guns used in 19 recent mass shootings were bought legally and with a federal background check.'

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/10/03/us/how-mass-shooters-got-their-guns.html

Then consider just how many of the illegal guns you mention, that are now in the hands of the gangs and criminals, started out as legal guns? How they found there way into the wrong hands is not as important as the fact that they existed legally in the first place.

You more or less accept that - your post is self contradictory.

In 2023 there were 101 Mass Shootings in the US, a country where guns are legal - even assault rifles! Russia came in second but at 21 shootings, far lower. Gun ownership is generally not allowed in Russia but the country is awash with them as is much of Eastern Europe due to previous wars and I'd guess the comparably high mafia/criminal make-up of Russian society.

My ex Thai wife who now lives in the US carries a gun, when I asked her why, she said 'for protection'. She never felt she needed such protection when she lived in the UK.  In my opinion, people only think they need a gun for protection simply because they are allowed to buy one.

As evidenced by herfiehandbag above, its an attitude problem - in the UK it took just two mass shootings to change public attitudes to gun ownership and for the government to ban the licencing of handguns and bring about much stricter control of rifles and shotguns. in the US the attitude towards gun ownership comes from the country's very constitution! (US Constitution - Second Amendment, 'the right to keep and bear arms')

Sorry but you'll never convince me - US citizens have a love affair with their guns then wonder why there are so many deaths and mass shootings. Liberal gun laws = more shootings.

Edited by MangoKorat

1 minute ago, MangoKorat said:

What  do I seem to be missing?

How about Ethan Crumbley for starters? Killed 4 students with a gun bought for him by his parents.

Seung-Hui Cho? Killed 32 people, both his guns were bought legally.

Adam Lanza, killed 27 people including his mother with a legally owned gun.

The list goes on.

Contrary to what you state above, 'the vast majority of guns used in 19 recent mass shootings were bought legally and with a federal background check.'

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/10/03/us/how-mass-shooters-got-their-guns.html

Then consider just how many of the illegal guns you mention, that are now in the hands of the gangs and criminals, started out as legal guns? How they found there way into the wrong hands is not as important as the fact that they existed legally in the first place.

You more or less accept that - your post is self contradictory.

In 2023 there were 101 Mass Shootings in the US, a country where guns are legal - even assault rifles! Russia came in second but at 21 shootings, far lower. Gun ownership is generally not allowed in Russia but the country is awash with them as is much of Eastern Europe due to previous wars and I'd guess the comparably high mafia/criminal make-up of Russian society.

My ex Thai wife who now lives in the US carries a gun, when I asked her why, she said 'for protection'. She never felt she needed such protection when she lived in the UK.  In my opinion, people people think they need a gun for protection simply because they are allowed to buy one.

As evidenced by herfiehandbag above, its an attitude problem - in the UK it took just two mass shootings to change public attitudes to gun ownership and for the government to ban the licencing of handguns and bring about much stricter control of rifles and shotguns. in the US the attitude towards gun ownership comes from the country's very constitution! (US Constitution - Second Amendment, 'the right to keep and bear arms')

Sorry but you'll never convince me - US citizens have a love affair with their guns then wonder why there are so many deaths and mass shootings. Liberal gun laws = more shootings.

If you read what I wrote, you will see I also said that some are bought by those on impulses, planning revenge against someone or a few in  a school, and also killed others not related to their anger, mostly from being bullied, as much as 87% of cases. They were under aged, which is something I would definitely change immediately, along with a psychological mandatory for gun buyers. Some were bought by parents for their children, obviously not knowing their plans, perhaps out of touch with them? Again, I'm not making excuses for what's been happening. There are ways to curb the violence, but taking certain guns away will not stop shootings. Taking guns away from Americans is not possible because of the hunters, target shooters and other legitimate reasons to own one. If you take all guns away from legitimate owners, you will curb shootings of course, but there will still be guns around in criminals hands, and no defense besides the police, who aren't possible to be everywhere at all times. Stopping people from hunting will let deer for instance over populate, which will bring on disastrous results, seeing there are more deer now in the US than ever before, with nowhere near the room to hold them. I don't contradict myself. I just state things exactly how they are, and some don't have the knowledge to understand why guns are needed, and only look at the instances where people are shot without looking at the real problem that needs to be addressed. Keeping guns out of the hands of the mentally ill, who are the ones doing the killing. If no guns existed worldwide, there would be less shootings, but there will still be crime, including bombings, knifings, and those using anything that can kill. Then the unarmed police will have to take down these people, with many getting hurt or killed in the process. I wouldn't call owning guns a love affair. They are tools, like any other tool, and have uses, most of which are legal. Some people abuse anything they have, guns being no exception.

22 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

in the US the attitude towards gun ownership comes from the country's very constitution! (US Constitution - Second Amendment, 'the right to keep and bear arms')

Ironically that Second Amendment was written to allow for and encourage a "well regulated militia" to defend a largely agricultural society dispersed across the countryside, in a nation with no standing army. Not to encourage fat knackers to strut around (well more often waddle) like bizarre mannequins for the Walmart Gun Counter catalogue; nor to allow the occasion paranoid misfit to emerge from behind a computer with a rifle and boxes of ammunition when his putative prom queen rejects him!

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

Ironically that Second Amendment was written to allow for and encourage a "well regulated militia" to defend a largely agricultural society dispersed across the countryside, in a nation with no standing army. Not to encourage fat knackers to strut around (well more often waddle) like bizarre mannequins for the Walmart Gun Counter catalogue!

Why do you, and many others, feel the need to label people a certain way just because you don't understand why they do things, or are against what they do for personal reasons, or just out of plain ignorance? I know full well that most of the worlds population is overweight or obese, but not all people who own and buy guns are fat knackers who waddle their way to a Walmart counter to buy guns. The second amendment was done for reasons back then which don't correspond with present thinking. This doesn't mean people, should not own guns for legitimate reasons. We have the best military in the world, and don't need a militia to help us against the Brits now of course. We do have hunters and target shooters who aren't the ones killing anyone. We also have people who want to protect themselves or their family because there are criminals who will always have access to guns as long as they exist.

When i enquired  about buying a hand Gun with my Thai brother in  law who happens to be a Captain in the Thai Police farce, he said if you buy a Gun  you  must buy 2, i     if you  kill the other party   make sure  you put the Second gun in his hand before you call the police, It may make your case a bit stronger

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, actonion said:

When i enquired  about buying a hand Gun with my Thai brother in  law who happens to be a Captain in the Thai Police farce, he said if you buy a Gun  you  must buy 2, i     if you  kill the other party   make sure  you put the Second gun in his hand before you call the police, It may make your case a bit stronger

Such is the thinking in a country where corruption is rampant. Does he not know that when you buy a gun, the owners (buyers) name will be on that purchase? Putting that second gun in the person you shoots hand won't fly, unless of course money is exchanged.

7 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Not sure if the anti gun replies are about guns or Americans.  Just another thread to bash Yanks.  Par for the forum.  

People bring so much intellectual debate to the forums when spewing their bigotry:

... anti Thais

... anti Yanks

... anti EV

... anti CH

... anti RU

... anti TH

... anti USA

... anti guns

... anti alphabet folks

Simply projecting such a happy life they have, and the disgust they must encounter when looking in the mirror every morning.   Who and or what can I bash today ? ... IMHO

on topic, as always ... I'm a firearm fan, the more the better in the hands of legal, trained citizens, anywhere and everywhere.

Exactly what I commented on a post before. They see a foreigner arrested for something here and automatically it's a Brit or Russian. They trash Americans, knowing full well (maybe) that there are thousands of Brits living in America, along with all other nationalities. America is a country of all other nationalities. American isn't a nationality but a conglomeration of all. There are reasons why people leave their countries and move to America. There are reasons they don't return to their countries. I don't think people can get past their past hatred of others because their parents didn't have the sense to teach them to get along with everyone because we're all in this together.

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Why do you, and many others, feel the need to label people a certain way just because you don't understand why they do things, or are against what they do for personal reasons, or just out of plain ignorance? I know full well that most of the worlds population is overweight or obese, but not all people who own and buy guns are fat knackers who waddle their way to a Walmart counter to buy guns. The second amendment was done for reasons back then which don't correspond with present thinking. This doesn't mean people, should not own guns for legitimate reasons. We have the best military in the world, and don't need a militia to help us against the Brits now of course. We do have hunters and target shooters who aren't the ones killing anyone. We also have people who want to protect themselves or their family because there are criminals who will always have access to guns as long as they exist.

I sketch those two scenarios because they are frequently demonstrated within the USA gun culture.

Personally I have no beef with hunters or target shooting enthusiasts. They are not the ones doing the mass killings. As for the rest, well the thread title emphasized personal opinion. I have given you mine. Feel free to ignore it.

57 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

ER - no. Most of the world's population is not overweight or obese, your knowledge is faulty. Here's the real picture.

Put simply, Americans are obese because they eat too much. When I first visited America, I was shocked by the size of the portions in restaurants. Insane, just like gun policy - or lack of it.

According to the map, 50% of Americans are obese. Statistically, that means it's the toss of a coin if someone fronting up to a gun counter is a fat waddler.

obesity.png

Edited by Lacessit

4 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

ER - no. Most of the world's population is not overweight or obese, your knowledge is faulty. Here's the real picture.

Put simply, Americans are obese because they eat too much. When I first visited America, I was shocked by the size of the portions in restaurants. Insane, just like gun policy - or lack of it.

According to the map, 50% of Americans are obese. Statistically, that means it's the toss of a coin if someone fronting up to a gun counter is a fat waddler.

obesity.png

I did say overweight also, meaning carrying more body fat than what is considered healthy. I stand corrected saying that this is worldwide, as most Asians aren't overweight, along with Africans. I've been in the gym business for 50 years, including 16 years of personal training, and see more than the average person does as far as people who are carrying too much body fat. It is more than what is listed in any survey, but again, it's not most. I should have kept that, along with my reply about Walmart waddlers, to the US. In the US, it's above 70% total. People hide body fat in clothes and overweight means just that. My knowledge isn't faulty. I just typed with a particular thing in mind.