Your personal opinion guns

17 minutes ago, riclag said:

I use to own rifles for sport when I lived in Massachusetts before retiring here! 
I miss them ! I would own one here for protection if I could legally!

A old 2017 article 

has , “Among gun owners who do not belong to the NRA, by contrast, 58% are Republicans and 39% are Democrats”.

https://www.pewresearch.org/short-reads/2017/07/05/among-gun-owners-nra-members-have-a-unique-set-of-views-and-experiences/

Many gun purchases now are for protection against the criminal element that dont care to follow laws & rules .

2023: For Most U.S. Gun Owners, Protection Is the Main Reason They Own a Gun.

https://www.pewresearch.org/politics/2023/08/16/for-most-u-s-gun-owners-protection-is-the-main-reason-they-own-a-gun/

Every time there is a mass shooting, particularly at a school, gun sales skyrocket. What has that done to solve the problem of mass shootings?

Why are semi-automatic weapons still available in America, when their only purpose is to kill multiple people as quickly and efficiently as possible? Would a serious hunter use one for game?

Why is a weapon bought for protection far more likely to inadvertently kill children playing with unsecured weapons, or be the instrument of choice in a suicide?

If a weapon is securely stored, what use is it for protection? Do you think home invaders will politely wait while you retrieve it?

I'm just wondering when the Second Amendment will stop killing American children.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Never owned one, never needed one, never wanted one. The gun crazies in the US are just that, crazy. Cross the Venn diagram with delusional MAGA morons and you have a deadly mix.

6 hours ago, Patong2 said:

Envy you your planned trip.

Used to do a yearly USA trip Montana down to Texas and wherever. Not being a US citizen I was ineligible to buy a gun and you are right some of those roads are real lonely and you would be a bit vulnerable if stranded. Highway 50 in Nevada we thoroughly enjoyed but we never saw another vehicle. Would have been more comfortable with my CZ 9mm than the can of Bear Spray we had.

Ahh - fond memories of hwy 50, "the loneliest highway in the world"......We took it - starting from Reno, heading to St. George, Utah..... Mile after mile of desolation.....Brown land untouched by water, no lakes or streams, nothing green....No cattle, no birds on fences or in flight, no animals, jack rabbits - nothing - no traffic, and no signs of life.....We stopped to make lunch in a parking lot of a broken down motel = no cars parked, but people watching through the windows; you could see & feel it - dueling banjos creepy in the middle of nowhere.....

Hundreds of miles between rudimentary service stops & no cell service.....Driving along I thought I saw a sign for the St. George turn off at a slight fork in the road....I asked my wife and she said no.....

We wound up traveling 220 miles further to the north ending up closer to Salt Lake City than St. George.....

So, we saw about 220 more miles worth of Hwy 50 than we wanted....

It still comes up in conversation when we are near desolate sites.....

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

21 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Every time there is a mass shooting, particularly at a school, gun sales skyrocket. What has that done to solve the problem of mass shootings?

Why are semi-automatic weapons still available in America, when their only purpose is to kill multiple people as quickly and efficiently as possible? Would a serious hunter use one for game?

Why is a weapon bought for protection far more likely to inadvertently kill children playing with unsecured weapons, or be the instrument of choice in a suicide?

If a weapon is securely stored, what use is it for protection? Do you think home invaders will politely wait while you retrieve it?

I'm just wondering when the Second Amendment will stop killing American children.

Although there is truth in what you say, mass shootings are the result of mental illness, and it doesn't take a semi auto to kill many people. Someone with two handguns and multiple magazines can shoot many until he's stopped. Semi autos are used for hunting, although aren't really necessary. Some just like the semi auto. Target shooters like them for fun. If you need a quick follow up shot after hitting an animal, a semi can shoot faster than all others besides full autos, which are for the most part illegal to own. It is sad that some children are killed with handguns kept in a home. That's the responsibility of the gun owners, keeping them out of reach ,sight or possession of children. As far as suicide, owning a gun only makes it easier for the time being. People who are going to commit suicide will do it in many ways, including my best friend who used carbon monoxide. It might give them more time to think if they aren't in possession of a gun, but if they've made their minds up.......... A gun stored in a home, with children living there, can be reached if it is put in a place where only the owner, or mate, knows where it is. I as a gun owner wish there were safer ways, but if there are guns, there will always be irresponsible people who have some of them.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

yeah and ?

Far more gun crime on US news than Thai.

I do not recall the last time Thai news reported an 11yr girl shot dead whilst sleeping.

https://www.cbsnews.com/detroit/news/11-year-old-girl-shot-in-head-in-drive-by-shooting-on-detroits-east-side-pennsylvania-street/

But I do recall 24 children, and 12 adults being killed by an ex cop two years ago. Thai news doesn't cover every shooting that happens. American news, meaning local for every state, covers much more because there are multiple networks in each state There are shootings here every day. News here, like I mentioned, covers far less than America's news does. I lived in the US for 62 years, and know full well what goes on there to this day. More people, more crime. https://eastasiaforum.org/2023/12/13/thailands-growing-gun-problem/

26 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

“I'm just wondering when the Second Amendment will stop killing American children.

More nonsense from the progressives.

Sick People kill children,not guns! There are millions and millions of gun owners who own guns responsibly.

Over the years I ‘ve seen your opinions!

Me thinks Ive seen enough, congratulations you just became a new participant to my ignore list.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 2

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I don't think in some States in America they have to secure it at home , I think they can wear it on their hip even in the home 

So I have seen YouTube videos of people knocking on doors in the middle of the night and the home owner has a gun in his hip 

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, riclag said:

“I'm just wondering when the Second Amendment will stop killing American children.

Sick People kill children,not guns! There are millions and millions of gun owners who own guns responsibly.

Me thinks Ive seen enough, congratulations you just became a new participant to my ignore list.

Absolutely

I mean it's the same with dogs ,there is I'm sure more dogs attacking people than gun owners 

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, bunnydrops said:

This is what happens when everyone thinks everyone is packing

That could happen in Australia too though couldn't it 

Obviously can't happen in the UK the cops have no guns! Ridiculous 

I actually sent an email to the UK police union telling them to get with the times and campaign for their police members to carry guns !!!!

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Out of touch I see. Imagine a world where only criminals had weapons, including terrorists. Can't keep weapons away because they will always exist. Weapons in the right hands are why we , meaning most of us, are living in a free world.

and who got the "right hands"? Arabs, Israelis, Chinese, Russians, or any colonialists or imperialists or fascists? Tell me.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Patong2 said:

I've shot competitively for over 60 years and plan to continue for a few more yet.

Pistols, rifles and shotguns.

Over that time I have met thousands of shooters and hunters.

I cannot recall any of them ever being charged with a firearms offence.

Criminals will always get guns no matter what the law.

In the 1980's the toughest gun laws in the western world, that we could find, were in Northern Ireland and look how useless the law was.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:1980s_murders_in_Northern_Ireland

when there is an active terrorist insurrection funded by donors from the the USA, it is challenging to prevent violence.  Were shooting incidents more common in Northern Ireland at that time (per capita) where there was an ongoing terrorist situation, or in the USA?

Posted (edited)

Sadly young criminals / children particularly in Australia are increasing their use of knife crime with a elderly woman stabbed to death by youths last week in Brisbane with carjacking 

So I'm glad they found it difficult to get guns 

I mean the racists saying send them back to Africa/Sudan  because they stabbed the lady in a car park shopping centre is not the answer,these children need to be guided in life particularly if they are from war torn countries such as Sudan ,and shown empathy and compassion 

Edited by georgegeorgia

9 minutes ago, riclag said:

Sick people will kill far less children if they do not have semi-automatic weapons available.

There are plenty of people who drive sensibly. Speed limits are there for the ones who can't.

I understand there has only been one school shooting in Australia ( actually a university ) which resulted in 3 deaths. One, since Federation. 340 in the US in 2023.

Spitting the dummy and putting me on your ignore list simply demonstrates how pathetic your defense of the indefensible is.

2 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Sadly young criminals / children particularly in Australia are increasing their use of knife crime with a elderly woman stabbed to death by youths last week in Brisbane

I mean the racists saying send them back to Africa/Sudan  because they stabbed the lady in a car park shopping centre is not the answer,these children need to be guided in life particularly if they are from war torn countries such as Sudan ,and shown empathy 

They need to be birched........:ermm:

3 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Sadly young criminals / children particularly in Australia are increasing their use of knife crime with a elderly woman stabbed to death by youths last week in Brisbane

I mean the racists saying send them back to Africa/Sudan  because they stabbed the lady in a car park shopping centre is not the answer,these children need to be guided in life particularly if they are from war torn countries such as Sudan ,and shown empathy 

If people from other countries come here, they should expect to obey the laws of Australia. If they can't, they are not useful members of a multicultural society.

Racism is the dog whistle used to enjoin against sending them back to wherever they come from.

I am in Thailand. I fully expect to be deported if I was to break the law here.

Explain to me why it should be any different in Australia.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, georgegeorgia said:

Obviously you have no empathy for these poor misguided children ☹️

None, farangland kids lives revolve around smartphones and TV, playing video games killing as many as they can, to the point of obsession..

Schools can no longer teach or control a__hole kids to point them in the right direction.

Imported kids, sh_t maybe what they are used to, so they 'may' bring it with them.

The softly, softly approach has failed, now paying for it.........🤔 

24 minutes ago, newbee2022 said:

and who got the "right hands"? Arabs, Israelis, Chinese, Russians, or any colonialists or imperialists or fascists? Tell me.

The right hands are law abiding, mentally sound individuals. Doesn't matter where they live.

• Like 1

Personal opinion on guns in the private sector.

Nothing wrong with owning a Legal gun to protect oneself and ones family and for hunting if there's a place to hunt.

But being the stupid Governments laws that's not possible in every country ,that's one reason that there are so many Illegal guns in the community Not just the Crims 

I one can't protect his home and Family there's a need for a Better Government and changing the law.

There always be some people that Misuse a gun and other weapons for the wrong reason  .

One can use an axe to open up a intruder from A hole to Breakfast but a gun would be more safe to use (not for the intruder).

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, digger70 said:

Personal opinion on guns in the private sector.

Nothing wrong with owning a Legal gun to protect oneself and ones family and for hunting if there's a place to hunt.

But being the stupid Governments laws that's not possible in every country ,that's one reason that there are so many Illegal guns in the community Not just the Crims 

I one can't protect his home and Family there's a need for a Better Government and changing the law.

There always be some people that Misuse a gun and other weapons for the wrong reason  .

One can use an axe to open up a intruder from A hole to Breakfast but a gun would be more safe to use (not for the intruder).

Digger you need to change it back to normal size text mate before your post is deleted 👍👍

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Digger you need to change it back to normal size text mate before your post is deleted 👍👍

I thought it was, thanks.

44 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Sadly young criminals / children particularly in Australia are increasing their use of knife crime with a elderly woman stabbed to death by youths last week in Brisbane with carjacking 

I mean the racists saying send them back to Africa/Sudan  because they stabbed the lady in a car park shopping centre is not the answer,these children need to be guided in life particularly if they are from war torn countries such as Sudan ,and shown empathy and compassion 

Send them back to their country of origin isn’t racist ! Calling out their skin color is  .Some people dont

want this ignorant criminal behavior  appeased.

Carjacking & stabbing someone to death, is a heinous crime ! It should be 

dealt with a strong punishment !

imop

Edited by riclag
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

The right hands are law abiding, mentally sound individuals. Doesn't matter where they live.

Sorry to say, but I was laughing when reading your "reply". Every country got different laws. So you would find in different countries law abiding, mentally sound individuals. The standards/laws are different. Standards we are used to accept, but not accept by other countries or religions. Then, who sets these standards and who will decide if you are mentally sound? 

Think again and you will see that you're in a dead end street.

(Just a reminder: remember what happens with weapons in US High Schools or Universities...without those things many young innocent young people would not have murdered)🙏

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, newbee2022 said:

Sorry to say, but I was laughing when reading your "reply". Every country got different laws. So you would find in different countries law abiding, mentally sound individuals. The standards/laws are different. Standards we are used to accept, but not accept by other countries or religions. Then, who sets these standards and who will decide if you are mentally sound? 

Think again and you will see that you're in a dead end street.

(Just a reminder: remember what happens with weapons in US High Schools or Universities...without those things many young innocent young people would not have murdered)🙏

I'm sorry you don't understand, but many don't so don't feel bad. I said, guns in the right hands are safe. This means that a mentally stable, law abiding person isn't the ones a person should be worried about, but the mentally ill that get their hands on guns. Normal people don't shoot innocent people. They don't go into schools or businesses and randomly shoot anyone. This is what you said and I replied to........"Do you really think weapons make the world safer. Look around". People who have weapons have saved countless lives in many wars and situations. What will make the world safer is stricter punishment for the mentally ill that are killing and hurting innocent people. Judges that can't be paid off and police that are corrupt removed from duty. Laws that are enforced. Besides a background check a psychological before buying a weapon. People who lock up their weapons so others can't take or steal them so easily. All schools with monitors at doors, guarded by off duty police (who would be glad to have the extra work). All countries have mentally stable, law abiding citizens, and all countries have mentally ill, narcissistic law breakers that are raised or sometimes born that way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fredwiggy said:

Although there is truth in what you say, mass shootings are the result of mental illness, and it doesn't take a semi auto to kill many people. Someone with two handguns and multiple magazines can shoot many until he's stopped. Semi autos are used for hunting, although aren't really necessary. Some just like the semi auto. Target shooters like them for fun. If you need a quick follow up shot after hitting an animal, a semi can shoot faster than all others besides full autos, which are for the most part illegal to own. It is sad that some children are killed with handguns kept in a home. That's the responsibility of the gun owners, keeping them out of reach ,sight or possession of children. As far as suicide, owning a gun only makes it easier for the time being. People who are going to commit suicide will do it in many ways, including my best friend who used carbon monoxide. It might give them more time to think if they aren't in possession of a gun, but if they've made their minds up.......... A gun stored in a home, with children living there, can be reached if it is put in a place where only the owner, or mate, knows where it is. I as a gun owner wish there were safer ways, but if there are guns, there will always be irresponsible people who have some of them.

I have stated my position on the gun culture in America, don't need to restate it. An average of one mass shooting event per year in Australia, against dozens in America every year, is enough fact-based evidence for sensible people.

There is one point in your post which amuses me. Using semi-automatic weapons for hunting.

I have been out at night with professional shooters. They are after rabbits, pigs, and kangaroos commercially. It's their living.

They are very cost-conscious when it comes to ammunition, frequently using only a 0.22 or 0.22 magnum. Everything is head shot, anything else spoils the meat and may cause it to be rejected.

They would regard anyone needing a semi-automatic for hunting as an incompetent butcher.

2 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

I'm sorry you don't understand, but many don't so don't feel bad. I said, guns in the right hands are safe. This means that a mentally stable, law abiding person isn't the ones a person should be worried about, but the mentally ill that get their hands on guns. Normal people don't shoot innocent people. They don't go into schools or businesses and randomly shoot anyone. This is what you said and I replied to........"Do you really think weapons make the world safer. Look around". People who have weapons have saved countless lives in many wars and situations. What will make the world safer is stricter punishment for the mentally ill that are killing and hurting innocent people. Judges that can't be paid off and police that are corrupt removed from duty. Laws that are enforced. Besides a background check a psychological before buying a weapon. People who lock up their weapons so others can't take or steal them so easily. All schools with monitors at doors, guarded by off duty police (who would be glad to have the extra work). All countries have mentally stable, law abiding citizens, and all countries have mentally ill, narcissistic law breakers that are raised or sometimes born that way.

I'm relieved to hear this, there is no chance of an insurrection on January 6, 2025.

2 hours ago, cjinchiangrai said:

Never owned one, never needed one, never wanted one. The gun crazies in the US are just that, crazy. Cross the Venn diagram with delusional MAGA morons and you have a deadly mix.

No, it is the USA gun laws, which now to me are way out of date considering how life has changed.

Guns are easily bought, and easily stolen, the USA is awash with them.

I had licenced sidearms and ammo reloading stuff in the UK, then after a few nasty instances the Gov withdrew licences and banned guns, so that was that. No more hobby....🥴