Your personal opinion guns

2 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

I mentioned it sickens me when this happens. I talk to God all the time, asking for all madness to stop, especially against children, the poor and elderly.

And what about transexual people?

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Ah!

We had a house in Cape May Point, sort of a summer house, with a bit of land attached.

That was before that area was destroyed by overdevelopment.

Back in the day, I could fire off my muzzleloader on our property at Cape May Point, and nobody would raise an eyebrow.

I just thought that you might be from The Pine Barrens, is all....just ....judging...

By your posts.

Sorry....

If you would understand what I write, it isn't some "hick" style but replies from research, many years of daily reading, and coming from a father with a genius level IQ. The real kind, not the one you talk about promoting yourself. In any event, people from he Pine barrens aren't dopes anyway. Most of them are landowners, people who have built homes there to escape the city, cranberry growers and those that grew up there having family from the Revolutionary times. It's never wise to assume to whom you're replying , as this isn't a testing ground for Mensa.

Edited by fredwiggy

22 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

IIRC there was a technical flaw in the finale of "The Last of the Mohicans" when the hero reloaded his rifle, with nary a ramrod to be seen.

Yes.

We ALL know the technical flaws in the stories written by James Fenimore Cooper, Sir.

No need to beat this dead horse, all over again!

22 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Noted you declined to respond to my question.

What is especially sickening is the politicians who take NRA donations to support their campaigns, then offer their "thoughts and prayers" to the bereaved. <deleted> hypocrites.

Not a gun problem.  People problem.

13 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

If you would understand what I write, it isn't some "hick" style but replies from research, many years of daily reading, and coming from a father with a genius level IQ.

If I were you, I would not put too much stock in heritability of IQ, even if your father was a true genius.

Because....

If you own a gun, then we can say that your IQ is ....at best.....

QUESTIONABLE.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, GammaGlobulin said:

If I were you, I would not put too much stock in heritability of IQ, even if your father was a true genius.

Because....

If you own a gun, then we can say that your IQ is ....at best.....

QUESTIONABLE.

I'm sorry you don't realize owning a gun has nothing to do with intelligence but a desire. And you do remember a couple of posts back you stating you were a gun owner so.....

• Like 1

Screenshot_20240303_140726.thumb.jpg.6b3cfc3e0e8ebe889c708ca201e6cdfc.jpg

On 3/2/2024 at 11:15 AM, charleskerins said:

Their main concern is the government -what a joke sad indeed .  They just repeat nonsense.

Owning a gun to stop an oppressive government?

Just how long do they think a band of " militia" equipped from the Walmart catalogue, will stop an infantry company group and supporting arms?

10 minutes, 15 tops!

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Agree 1

42 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

I'm sorry you don't realize owning a gun has nothing to do with intelligence but a desire. And you do remember a couple of posts back you stating you were a gun owner so.....

I have owned several guns.

.44 magnum revolver

.460 Weatherby

30-06 Browning semi-automatic rifle

.22 target rifles

.308 Winchester

and several others.

I was a fool, as I say, at the time.

At that time, I lacked wisdom, though not intelligence.

I admit it.

And now....

Who is the fool?

Edited by GammaGlobulin

58 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

IIRC there was a technical flaw in the finale of "The Last of the Mohicans" when the hero reloaded his rifle, with nary a ramrod to be seen.

A ramrod isn't needed if you don't patch the ball. That was the usual loading style of the British Army in mêlée in the 1800's.  Dump in the powder, spit the ball down the barrel, and tamp the shoulder stock on the ground to seat it, prime the pan, and fire.  Much faster reload, although not as accurate as a patched ball.

I used to do this often during my Black Powder days in the '70's.

8 minutes ago, FolkGuitar said:

A ramrod isn't needed if you don't patch the ball. That was the usual loading style of the British Army in mêlée in the 1800's.  Dump in the powder, spit the ball down the barrel, and tamp the shoulder stock on the ground to seat it, prime the pan, and fire.  Much faster reload, although not as accurate as a patched ball.

I used to do this often during my Black Powder days in the '70's.

I always used a ramrod.

I always used a patch.

I always used black powder.

And, I always cleaned the barrel of the gun with water.

1 hour ago, fredwiggy said:

I mentioned it sickens me when this happens. I talk to God all the time, asking for all madness to stop, especially against children, the poor and elderly.

Perhaps Americans need a God who will tell them to repeal the Second Amendment.

Given 50% of Americans still believe in angels, it's an even chance.

3 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Angels or aliens......haven't something like 2% (7 millionish) of Americans been abducted by aliens and (sadly) returned?

Edited by Will B Good

43 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Our God isn't involved in such matters. Freedom of choice gives us the ability to do whatever we think is right. Many abuse that right. Ownership of guns is not the problem. Guns are necessary for so many things. Hunting, target shooting, self defense. I'm sure you're not against the military and police having guns. Most people that own guns never commit crimes. it's the ones who steal and take guns from legitimate owners. The disturbed ones who plan cruel acts because they don't fit into a normal society. Americans will never lose their guns. Americans will see to that, and many lives will be saved because of gun owners. As far as the ones who use them in crimes, that's something we all can agree on needs to be stopped. Hunting is a sport that's gone back hundreds of years and will never be stopped. Regulated yes, but not stopped. Take away things people like, and they rebel. This is why so much rebellion is going on here. Wrong people in charge, looking out for only themselves and their rich cronies. That also has to be stopped.

15 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Our God isn't involved in such matters. Freedom of choice gives us the ability to do whatever we think is right. Many abuse that right. Ownership of guns is not the problem. Guns are necessary for so many things. Hunting, target shooting, self defense. I'm sure you're not against the military and police having guns. Most people that own guns never commit crimes. it's the ones who steal and take guns from legitimate owners. The disturbed ones who plan cruel acts because they don't fit into a normal society. Americans will never lose their guns. Americans will see to that, and many lives will be saved because of gun owners. As far as the ones who use them in crimes, that's something we all can agree on needs to be stopped. Hunting is a sport that's gone back hundreds of years and will never be stopped. Regulated yes, but not stopped. Take away things people like, and they rebel. This is why so much rebellion is going on here. Wrong people in charge, looking out for only themselves and their rich cronies. That also has to be stopped.

Please explain the difference to me between liking guns, and liking drugs. They are both addictions.

Using your logic, everybody should have a right to drugs as well. What kills more in America, guns or drugs?

The self defense argument is BS. I have never needed a gun for defense in Australia, and it's far more likely you will be killed in your home if you are toting a gun, than if you don't have one.

Edited by Lacessit
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Please explain the difference to me between liking guns, and liking drugs. They are both addictions.

Using your logic, everybody should have a right to drugs as well. What kills more in America, guns or drugs?

The self defense argument is BS. I have never needed a gun for defense in Australia, and it's far more likely you will be killed in your home if you are toting a gun, than if you don't have one.

Owning guns isn't an addiction. Buying more guns than you need and putting yourself in a financial hole isn't good. That goes for anything you can buy. Guns are just things, like cd's, movies, fishing rods and reels, magic tricks, books, houses, cars etc. I have over 40,000 cd's. Am I addicted? It's just a love for music. Just as hunters love hunting, being in the outdoors, having a chance at a trophy and meat. Fisherman traveling to many places in quest for a trophy fish or seafood, or both. Prescription drugs, from doctors, kill more people than most other things, including illegal drugs. People love to get high, buzzed, drunk, whatever, because it's an escape for a time from the BS of life. Same reason people hunt,shoot targets, go to concerts, dance, and fish. Everyone has a right to do whatever they want, as long as it doesn't affect others in a bad way. It's what makes America free. Marijuana will eventually be legal everywhere because it's not the demon weed people without knowledge make it to be. Booze kills more than weed will ever do, and it's legal because people make money on it, just as marijuana will eventually be. Guns in the wrong hands kill and maim people. Guns in the right hands bring meat to the table, and lives are saved because private owners have intervened many times. Most people will never need a gun for self defense, but if there comes a time when it's you or a person out to hurt you and or your family, having a gun could make you go home with that family, and the perp getting justice. People need to be responsible carrying and owning a thing that can kill. The same goes for knives, hammers, chain saws and cars. When I move back home, I will again have my guns, and they will be in a place where I can reach them, away from everyone else besides those in my house who know how to handle them, and if someone breaks into my house intending harm, he isn't walking away. Australia might have limited it's guns, but crime continues with them daily, and it's not legitimate gun owners doing it, just as it's not in America.

16 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Owning guns isn't an addiction. Buying more guns than you need and putting yourself in a financial hole isn't good. That goes for anything you can buy. Guns are just things, like cd's, movies, fishing rods and reels, magic tricks, books, houses, cars etc. I have over 40,000 cd's. Am I addicted? It's just a love for music. Just as hunters love hunting, being in the outdoors, having a chance at a trophy and meat. Fisherman traveling to many places in quest for a trophy fish or seafood, or both. Prescription drugs, from doctors, kill more people than most other things, including illegal drugs. People love to get high, buzzed, drunk, whatever, because it's an escape for a time from the BS of life. Same reason people hunt,shoot targets, go to concerts, dance, and fish. Everyone has a right to do whatever they want, as long as it doesn't affect others in a bad way. It's what makes America free. Marijuana will eventually be legal everywhere because it's not the demon weed people without knowledge make it to be. Booze kills more than weed will ever do, and it's legal because people make money on it, just as marijuana will eventually be. Guns in the wrong hands kill and maim people. Guns in the right hands bring meat to the table, and lives are saved because private owners have intervened many times. Most people will never need a gun for self defense, but if there comes a time when it's you or a person out to hurt you and or your family, having a gun could make you go home with that family, and the perp getting justice. People need to be responsible carrying and owning a thing that can kill. The same goes for knives, hammers, chain saws and cars. When I move back home, I will again have my guns, and they will be in a place where I can reach them, away from everyone else besides those in my house who know how to handle them, and if someone breaks into my house intending harm, he isn't walking away. Australia might have limited it's guns, but crime continues with them daily, and it's not legitimate gun owners doing it, just as it's not in America.

Gun deaths in Australia are about 0.9 per 100,000 population. In the US, it is 4.5. Five times as high. The US Virgin Islands tops the table at 32. Singapore is a distant last with 0.003.

You can rationalise all you want. The fact is you live in a violent society, and Australia and other countries demonstrate it is self-inflicted.

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Gun deaths in Australia are about 0.9 per 100,000 population. In the US, it is 4.5. Five times as high. The US Virgin Islands tops the table at 32. Singapore is a distant last with 0.003.

You can rationalise all you want. The fact is you live in a violent society, and Australia and other countries demonstrate it is self-inflicted.

What some don't realize is that yes, the gun deaths in America are a lot higher, but the population is 13 times more, which means more people, more crimes. I'm not trying to rationalize what's already there. There IS a problem that needs to be addressed, but it's not the guns themselves but, more people, more mental illness, more problems. The US doesn't have the highest gun deaths worldwide. There are countries that have a higher death rate, but again, I'm not trying to downgrade the problem. Thailand has almost the same rate as the US in gun crime, even though it's not known as much as the US is. Mass shootings, suicides and gang related crime is what takes up most of the stats. The most are from suicides and again, more people, more deaths. I lived there for 62 years and was outside daily in many states ,cities and the country parts, and never saw any violent crime. I sold guns and knew many policemen and sheriffs, who told their stories. It is mostly suicides and gangs.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

to answer your questions

This is more for our American members but did you believe in carrying a gun and did you ?

yes I do .. and yes I did      plus a nice collection of rifles and shot guns

as Americans it is our 2nd Amendment right 

The Second Amendment granted citizens that right — giving them the ability to defend themselves and their property. Though times have changed .... the need for defenses afforded by the Second Amendment has remained much the same. “…the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.”

Oh ...  it's sooooooooooooooo amazing that the snowflake brigade still has Trump constantly on their mind !

• Agree 2

11 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

What some don't realize is that yes, the gun deaths in America are a lot higher, but the population is 13 times more, which means more people, more crimes. I'm not trying to rationalize what's already there. There IS a problem that needs to be addressed, but it's not the guns themselves but, more people, more mental illness, more problems. The US doesn't have the highest gun deaths worldwide. There are countries that have a higher death rate, but again, I'm not trying to downgrade the problem. Thailand has almost the same rate as the US in gun crime, even though it's not known as much as the US is. Mass shootings, suicides and gang related crime is what takes up most of the stats. The most are from suicides and again, more people, more deaths. I lived there for 62 years and was outside daily in many states ,cities and the country parts, and never saw any violent crime. I sold guns and knew many policemen and sheriffs, who told their stories. It is mostly suicides and gangs.

You were a gun dealer? Might I suggest there is some bias in your postings?

If you were selling semi-automatics ( I know, if you didn't someone else would ) did it occur to you that you were facilitating mass shootings?

Do you understand basic ratio math? More people, more deaths, yes. It's the number of them per 100,000 population which is significant.

Whitewashing the problem with vague assertions and look over there deflection does not rebut facts, data and statistics.

I've posted the data which proves you are a violent society. What's your proof it is not.? Your experience is a single data point.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Luuk Chaai said:

to answer your questions

This is more for our American members but did you believe in carrying a gun and did you ?

yes I do .. and yes I did      plus a nice collection of rifles and shot guns

as Americans it is our 2nd Amendment right 

The Second Amendment granted citizens that right — giving them the ability to defend themselves and their property. Though times have changed .... the need for defenses afforded by the Second Amendment has remained much the same. “…the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.”

Oh ...  it's sooooooooooooooo amazing that the snowflake brigade still has Trump constantly on their mind !

trump70.png

• Sad 2

14 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

You were a gun dealer? Might I suggest there is some bias in your postings?

If you were selling semi-automatics ( I know, if you didn't someone else would ) did it occur to you that you were facilitating mass shootings?

Do you understand basic ratio math? More people, more deaths, yes. It's the number of them per 100,000 population which is significant.

Whitewashing the problem with vague assertions and look over there deflection does not rebut facts, data and statistics.

I've posted the data which proves you are a violent society. What's your proof it is not.? Your experience is a single data point.

I was a gun salesman working for a sporting goods store, with a federal Firearms License. No bias whatsoever because I'm a realist who deals with facts and not opinions.  No one I ever sold a gun to committed a crime that I know of, as the police were in my store daily, always talking about guns and crime, who did what with what gun etc. And yes of course I understand per capita. I again wasn't trying to deflect what's already there, but more people does mean more suicides, gangs and gun deaths., although the US ratio is indeed high.  And again, most of the crimes were those, besides the despicable mass shootings, which are happening worldwide now, and will increase in every nation that has guns. Copycats are just that, and they are around. Thailand is a violent society if you look at crime here also, as well as some South American countries, African countries and the Middle east. People that haven't been to the US or only visited and see the news think it's a violent society, but most of the people living there are not violent, and never will be.

48,830 firearm deaths in the US.
More people in the US die from suicide involving a firearm than homicides or accidents. This is out of almost 340 million people. Pretty small percentage seeing most are suicides and gang related. The society isn't violent, but a tiny percentage of it's people are, just like here and there. When you live in a country for 62 years and never see any violent crime, it means something, along with all of my family and friends who have seen only a few instances. It happens of course. The news says so, but unlike here, where only a tiny percentage of crime gets to the new stations., the US has thousands of news casters, and gun crime is a big deal because of the political impact it has. Here, where gun crime is high, it gets downgraded because they don't want to lose tourists with publicity, even though it does get out eventually.
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

I was a gun salesman working for a sporting goods store, with a federal Firearms License. No bias whatsoever because I'm a realist who deals with facts and not opinions.  No one I ever sold a gun to committed a crime that I know of, as the police were in my store daily, always talking about guns and crime, who did what with what gun etc. And yes of course I understand per capita. I again wasn't trying to deflect what's already there, but more people does mean more suicides, gangs and gun deaths., although the US ratio is indeed high.  And again, most of the crimes were those, besides the despicable mass shootings, which are happening worldwide now, and will increase in every nation that has guns. Copycats are just that, and they are around. Thailand is a violent society if you look at crime here also, as well as some South American countries, African countries and the Middle east. People that haven't been to the US or only visited and see the news think it's a violent society, but most of the people living there are not violent, and never will be.

48,830 firearm deaths in the US.
More people in the US die from suicide involving a firearm than homicides or accidents. This is out of almost 340 million people. Pretty small percentage seeing most are suicides and gang related. The society isn't violent, but a tiny percentage of it's people are, just like here and there. When you live in a country for 62 years and never see any violent crime, it means something, along with all of my family and friends who have seen only a few instances. It happens of course. The news says so, but unlike here, where only a tiny percentage of crime gets to the new stations., the US has thousands of news casters, and gun crime is a big deal because of the political impact it has. Here, where gun crime is high, it gets downgraded because they don't want to lose tourists with publicity, even though it does get out eventually.

"And will increase in every nation that has guns" My point exactly.

Has anyone ever called you No-Toes?

9 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

"And will increase in every nation that has guns" My point exactly.

Has anyone ever called you No-Toes?

Crime will always increase with the population because mental illness increases also. If there were no guns, they will use whatever is hard. No one has ever called me No Toes. What does that mean? I have all 10.

Edited by fredwiggy

1 minute ago, fredwiggy said:

Crime will always increase with the population because mental illness increases also. If there were no guns, they will use whatever is hard. No one has ever called me No Toes. What does that mean? I have all 10.

It means you shoot your toes off trying to do a fast draw on debate/discussion. A manager I remember quite fondly.

There was also a guy we used to call Wet Cement, because he could talk through it. Your posts remind me of him.

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

It means you shoot your toes off trying to do a fast draw on debate/discussion. A manager I remember quite fondly.

There was also a guy we used to call Wet Cement, because he could talk through it. Your posts remind me of him.

I'm answering fast because I'm sitting at my desk at my computer while watching Arthur. I go by facts, because opinions mean nothing. Stats are valid, but don't give you the complete picture, and can't always be trusted.  I'm a realist, seeing things as they are, and get daily news worldwide here so I'm up to date on things I'm interested in. I've been a gun owner and hunter for over 50 years, and been in the industry quite awhile, with contacts in many places, so I know what goes on and don't go by lies, bias,political crapola or ignorance. facts are facts. Guns don't kill people, crazy people kill people.(meaning innocents and not in self defense or war situations) . No laws are going to stop people from using guns and many lives have been saved by citizens armed. Lives that are still around because of a gun owner. If you take away all guns worldwide, that will stop shootings but not crime. You can put people in jail if you aren't armed, but some will resist and hurt you, as there are many people that are stronger than police men. If they pull a knife on you, and you haven't got a gun, you're in trouble. Some don't want witnesses even if you give them what they ask for. This is a sick world, evil is everywhere and won't go away until God comes and ends this. A lot of people value life and will carry a gun to keep theirs going. yes, sometimes it backfires and they use your gun against you, but that's where practice comes into play. How much do you value your and your family's lives? Apart from hunting, which is a necessity as far as the deer species is concerned, and target shooting, self defense is what we're talking about here, and I'm all for it. If it's going to be you or them, better it's you.

1 minute ago, fredwiggy said:

This is something many do not know, as a lot of news is about the US and the mass shootings.

It's why many countries have travel advisories.