Your personal opinion guns

5 hours ago, sirineou said:

That is exactly why I came to Thailand.

Imagine my disappointment. I guess I should had researched the issue before I came here.:sad:

Now I am looking at explosives or PNDs (Personal Nuclear Devices) 

Nuclear is tough, MOAB's are easier.

Just now, Lacessit said:

I have stated my position on the gun culture in America, don't need to restate it. An average of one mass shooting event per year in Australia, against dozens in America every year, is enough fact-based evidence for sensible people.

There is one point in your post which amuses me. Using semi-automatic weapons for hunting.

I have been out at night with professional shooters. They are after rabbits, pigs, and kangaroos commercially. It's their living.

They are very cost-conscious when it comes to ammunition, frequently using only a 0.22 or 0.22 magnum. Everything is head shot, anything else spoils the meat and may cause it to be rejected.

They would regard anyone needing a semi-automatic for hunting as an incompetent butcher.

Many semi autos are .223 caliber. Many use them after pigs in Texas, at night, which is legal because pigs are considered pests that ruin habitats. You can shoot a few before they run away with a semi. Many semi owners are target shooters and they like rapid fire. Having a semi doesn't mean you shoot haphazardly. It means a quick follow up shot, or more. I can shoot a bolt action pretty fast, but not as fast as a semi, and I would use one for the type of hunting I stated. I don't use one, but know many who do, and that still shoot one shot at a time, and don't spray bullets everywhere. The people I know that use semis aren't incompetent butchers but safety minded, competent shooters. There are many hunters that aren't good shots, that wound animals with bolt and lever action rifles. Some don't bother to practice and that's a mistake. I myself don't own a semi, preferring a bolt and lever action for guns, and bow and crossbow mostly anyway. To each his own. It isn't the semis that are killing the people but a mentally disturbed person with a semi auto. Like I mentioned earlier, a person can use a revolver and shoot six people, reload and six more etc. A semi can shoot faster, but magazines they carry in any weapon is how many are shot. Many don't realize these weapons aren't assault weapons. Assault weapons have the capability to change from semi to full auto. High capacity magazines are not necessary. I'm a hunter and think they should be banned. A lot of people are against the gun culture in America, but it's part of what gives us the freedom we have. There will always be weapons and mentally ill people. What needs to be done is keeping guns away from them any way possible.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

I'm sorry you don't understand, but many don't so don't feel bad. I said, guns in the right hands are safe. This means that a mentally stable, law abiding person isn't the ones a person should be worried about, but the mentally ill that get their hands on guns. Normal people don't shoot innocent people. They don't go into schools or businesses and randomly shoot anyone. This is what you said and I replied to........"Do you really think weapons make the world safer. Look around". People who have weapons have saved countless lives in many wars and situations. What will make the world safer is stricter punishment for the mentally ill that are killing and hurting innocent people. Judges that can't be paid off and police that are corrupt removed from duty. Laws that are enforced. Besides a background check a psychological before buying a weapon. People who lock up their weapons so others can't take or steal them so easily. All schools with monitors at doors, guarded by off duty police (who would be glad to have the extra work). All countries have mentally stable, law abiding citizens, and all countries have mentally ill, narcissistic law breakers that are raised or sometimes born that way.

And here is the mistake: you're talking about self justice. I don't wanted my children to attend school by bodyguards. And I didn't want to have armed guards in and outside schools. And I didn't want to have armed teachers. Everyone of those would be able to go berserk or run amok though judged mentally sound. (Again: who will decide what is sound??) And we are definitely not talking about armed forces and wars. We are talking about peace times. UK police are not armed. In your eyes a mistake? You're opinion as an US citizen? is based on the experience when Amerika was invaded by Europeans murdering almost all Indians. That was the time of "take an eye for an eye". In these days is was high time for religious extremists to migrate to Amerika. And to defend and protect their stolen land they needed the guns. The good thing: we didn't follow those murderous attitudes in Europe. We're close to Songkran. Take your water cannon/pistol for satisfaction.🙏

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Many semi autos are .223 caliber. Many use them after pigs in Texas, at night, which is legal because pigs are considered pests that ruin habitats. You can shoot a few before they run away with a semi. Many semi owners are target shooters and they like rapid fire. Having a semi doesn't mean you shoot haphazardly. It means a quick follow up shot, or more. I can shoot a bolt action pretty fast, but not as fast as a semi, and I would use one for the type of hunting I stated. I don't use one, but know many who do, and that still shoot one shot at a time, and don't spray bullets everywhere. The people I know that use semis aren't incompetent butchers but safety minded, competent shooters. There are many hunters that aren't good shots, that wound animals with bolt and lever action rifles. Some don't bother to practice and that's a mistake. I myself don't own a semi, preferring a bolt and lever action for guns, and bow and crossbow mostly anyway. To each his own. It isn't the semis that are killing the people but a mentally disturbed person with a semi auto. Like I mentioned earlier, a person can use a revolver and shoot six people, reload and six more etc. A semi can shoot faster, but magazines they carry in any weapon is how many are shot. Many don't realize these weapons aren't assault weapons. Assault weapons have the capability to change from semi to full auto. High capacity magazines are not necessary. I'm a hunter and think they should be banned. A lot of people are against the gun culture in America, but it's part of what gives us the freedom we have. There will always be weapons and mentally ill people. What needs to be done is keeping guns away from them any way possible.

Your post has a logical flaw. Sure, keep guns away from mentally disturbed people.

What do you do when someone who owns firearms develops a mental illness? What do you do when a sociopath successfully conceals their condition to obtain a firearm?

IMO victims of a semi-automatic are not going to be grateful it was not a full automatic.

Americans are full of BS excuses for owning guns, most of them absurd when closely examined. Face it, the only valid reason for owning them is because you like them.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

6 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Your post has a logical flaw. Sure, keep guns away from mentally disturbed people.

What do you do when someone who owns firearms develops a mental illness? What do you do when a sociopath successfully conceals their condition to obtain a firearm?

IMO victims of a semi-automatic are not going to be grateful it was not a full automatic.

Americans are full of BS excuses for owning guns, most of them absurd when closely examined. Face it, the only valid reason for owning them is because you like them.

The reason Americans are allowed to own guns is so that they can overthrow the government.

Generally, the courts take a dim view of people that use them for that purpose.

So you need to do more than just shoot the president.

40 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

The reason Americans are allowed to own guns is so that they can overthrow the government.

That was the original purpose, the Founding Fathers envisaged muskets against a tyrannical government. I doubt they could foresee semi-automatics.

It's actually quite futile, considering a government could whistle up Abrams tanks, attack helicopters, and drones to deal with any situation.

It's like Linus with a security blanket, but I don't know if Linus ever grew up.

17 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

It's actually quite futile, considering a government could whistle up Abrams tanks, attack helicopters, and drones to deal with any situation.

Not if the military refuses to co-operate - which is becoming ever more likely throughout the West

58 minutes ago, Lee65 said:

Not if the military refuses to co-operate - which is becoming ever more likely throughout the West

When the military refuses to co-operate with the government, we call that a military coup, and citizens with muskets or tommy-guns would be as well keeping on the sidelines.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

An rednecks wet dream?

33 minutes ago, Hummin said:

A rednecks wet dream?

I think many people dream of shooting the American president, but only in the USA is it a constitutional right, albeit still a criminal act.

14 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Shooting Birds, the good ole days? WTF. Did you even eat the rabbits? Killing wildlife for fun is so sad.

At least Vegans don't need guns then.

In the United States, the right to keep and bear arms is a fundamental right protected by the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution, part of the Bill of Rights, and by the constitutions of most U.S. states. The Second Amendment declares .A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed

Source:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_to_keep_and_bear_arms_in_the_United_States

The mistake was made by father George Bush when he banned the carrying of firearms in public places of assembly, schools - universities and malls.
Criminals and terrorists attack schools-universities and malls because they know that everyone...is unarmed.

Source:

Gun-Free School Zones Act of 1990

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun-Free_School_Zones_Act_of_1990

When officially FBI announce that they will arrive 20 minutes a.f.t.e.r😉 any incidence........

https://www.congress.gov/event/113th-congress/senate-event/LC942/text?s=1&r=237

I can hear the melody but I dont understand the "lyrics" maestro.....!

Yesterday on Friday morning we have in Greece/Athens an attack with knife from Iraq illegal immigrant in prestige commercial center shopping street Ermou at the center of Athens.

The Iraqian illegal immigrant was holding a knife for almost 1 km among civilians and stabbed on her back a young lady . No one do not notify Polish Authorities that he saw a man with knife in his hand and the "incidense" occured......... (the young lady was a student from the University who also works in shops).

Albert Einstein — 'Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.'

Source:

Woman stabbed on Athens’ central Ermou Street

https://www.ekathimerini.com/news/1233022/woman-stabbed-on-athens-central-ermou-street/

Edited by Paris333
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Last time I was in the Philippines last year I went to browse in a gun shop.

Being from Australia only the criminals have guns here including the police criminals.

There is some places in Australia where it is not safe at night but we can't carry weapons 

The gun shop owner in the Philippines advised me I could get a gun licence etc etc after doing his gun training and to cut a very long story so long I could write a book or make a YouTube channel but I was fascinated

I was thinking if I was a American I would carry a gun and move to places that allowed a gun.

This is more for our American members but did you believe in carrying a gun and did you ?

Thailand seems to have strict gun laws for foreigners

Philippines it's possible

Vietnam I think the same 

Cambodia allowed for foreigners 

I will need to retire when I can carry 

Stick to cleaning hospitals, where are the police criminals in Australia? Just because a gay cop killed a former lover and new boyfriend you call the Australian police force criminals? Jeeeeezzzz.

My personal opinion? As a US citizen there are several amendments to the US constitution that need to be abolished or re-considered and substantially changed. Starting with the 1st and the 2nd.

Private citizens could be allowed to have long guns with restrictions and procedures that closely resemble the gun laws of Japan

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2023/05/31/national/crime-legal/gun-control-explainer/#:~:text=Who can own a gun,they have a gun license.

1 hour ago, Paris333 said:

In the United States, the right to keep and bear arms is a fundamental right protected by the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution, part of the Bill of Rights, and by the constitutions of most U.S. states. The Second Amendment declares .A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed

Source:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_to_keep_and_bear_arms_in_the_United_States

The mistake was made by father George Bush when he banned the carrying of firearms in public places of assembly, schools - universities and malls.
Criminals and terrorists attack schools-universities and malls because they know that everyone...is unarmed.

Source:

Gun-Free School Zones Act of 1990

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun-Free_School_Zones_Act_of_1990

When officially FBI announce that they will arrive 20 minutes a.f.t.e.r😉 any incidence........

https://www.congress.gov/event/113th-congress/senate-event/LC942/text?s=1&r=237

I can hear the melody but I dont understand the "lyrics" maestro.....!

Yesterday on Friday morning we have in Greece/Athens an attack with knife from Iraq illegal immigrant in prestige commercial center shopping street Ermou at the center of Athens.

The Iraqian illegal immigrant was holding a knife for almost 1 km among civilians and stabbed on her back a young lady . No one do not notify Polish Authorities that he saw a man with knife in his hand and the "incidense" occured......... (the young lady was a student from the University who also works in shops).

Albert Einstein — 'Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.'

Source:

Woman stabbed on Athens’ central Ermou Street

https://www.ekathimerini.com/news/1233022/woman-stabbed-on-athens-central-ermou-street/

In Australia, what is thought to be the first school shooting in the nation's history occurred recently.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-68432923

In 2023, America had 340 school shooting incidents.

https://www.k12dive.com/news/2023-total-school-mass-shootings/703007/

School shootings in America have nothing to do with criminals and terrorists knowing they are vulnerable, and everything to do with the easy access to firearms. Most commonly, it is disgruntled and mentally disturbed students and ex-students who commit school shootings.

https://shura.shu.ac.uk/12138/3/whitfield - Characteristics of school shooting incidents.pdf

Einstein was quite correct about the infinity of human stupidity. Your post embodies it.

45 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

My personal opinion? As a US citizen there are several amendments to the US constitution that need to be abolished or re-considered and substantially changed. Starting with the 1st and the 2nd.

Private citizens could be allowed to have long guns with restrictions and procedures that closely resemble the gun laws of Japan

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2023/05/31/national/crime-legal/gun-control-explainer/#:~:text=Who can own a gun,they have a gun license.

The Founding Fathers could not foresee muskets would be replaced by semi-automatic weapons.

The Second Amendment is treated as something holy by many Americans. The Eighteenth Amendment

( Prohibition ) was removed by the Twenty-First Amendment. That's what sensible people do with amendments when it is clear they are no longer fit for purpose.

In Australia, a firearm license application is 40 pages long. That tends to filter out the crazies. The penalty for possessing a firearm without a permit is 10 years in jail.

Despite NRA propaganda, it is quite legal to own a long gun in Australia. Semi-automatics have been banned since Port Arthur in 1996. Handgun ownership is severely restricted.

I suppose it is just a coincidence Australia averages one mass shooting per year since 2000, whereas America had 630 in 2023. Almost two a day.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41488081

Edited by Lacessit
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Lacessit said:

While it's true you can develop a mental illness, most start at a young age. Also true is that the 3% of shootings that happen with a semi auto aren't done by hunters but are from guns taken or stolen from legitimate owners, or are bought by people who aren't hunters but disturbed individuals bent on havoc. You take away semi autos and crazies will still use other weapons to kill people. Again, I'm not a semi auto user, but it isn't the weapon but the person using it, and they can use most anything, and have, to kill more than one or two. I'm more for protecting the rights of legitimate gun owners, meaning all guns besides full autos, which have no place in hunting or regular ownership situations. I own guns, and have since I was 17, and would never use any of them against an innocent person. Remember that the ex cop who killed 37 here, including 24 children, used a knife and 9MM. It's keeping all weapons with bullets away from them. How can you do that? Americans will always have their weapons. No one will take them away, so how do you stop mass shootings? And owning weapons for hunting and target shooting are valid reasons, as well as self protection from those that own or get them that are disturbed loose cannons. Hunting isn't just in America also. It's most everywhere. Not here of course because these aren't conservation minded people. And crime with guns isn't just in America, as many nations have it worse. Even here it happens, and has for quite awhile..........https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_massacres_in_Thailand

Edited by fredwiggy
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Despite NRA propaganda, it is quite legal to own a long gun in Australia. Semi-automatics have been banned since Port Arthur in 1996. Handgun ownership is severely restricted.

I suppose it is just a coincidence Australia averages one mass shooting per year since 2000, whereas America had 630 in 2023. Almost two a day.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41488081

If you read the NRA propaganda you will  see the reasons for those numbers are because in Australia you don't have...

• Large numbers of migrants illegal or otherwise
  • People with mental health issues who are not restricted in hospitals
  • Criminals and gangs
  • Violent video games, dubious online content,  and R-rated movies
  • Low church attendance 
  • Single parent homes due high divorce rates 
  • Gun free zones where the so called good guys cannot carry

See how rediculous that sounds? The problem is  their god-damned guns

In fact they gun freaks will tell you the answer to the issue is more guns

• Confused 2

24 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

If you read the NRA propaganda you will  see the reasons for those numbers are because in Australia you don't have...

• Criminals and gangs
  • Low church attendance 

Not sure where you found these stats, or received them from someone who wasn't aware but, mental health issues are as they are most everywhere, with 1 in 5 experiencing them. Single parent households are around 15%. This doesn't mean much because having a single parent household isn't a precursor to children running amok. It's not having a good male role model which leads many boys astray. Among others, there are 38 biker gangs, some involved in the drug trade. Gaming is as high as many other countries. The Dept. of Home Affairs lists about 70,000 illegal immigrants living there. Crime isn't unusually high but exists............https://www.abs.gov.au/statistics/people/crime-and-justice

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

37 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

• Criminals and gangs
  • Low church attendance 

Ehhh, not been lately I guess.! 

26 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Not sure where you found these stats, or received them from someone who wasn't aware but, mental health issues are as they are most everywhere, with 1 in 5 experiencing them. Single parent households are around 15%. This doesn't mean much because having a single parent household isn't a precursor to children running amok. It's not having a good male role model which leads many boys astray. Among others, there are 38 biker gangs, some involved in the drug trade. Gaming is as high as many other countries. The Dept. of Home Affairs lists about 70,000 illegal immigrants living there. Crime isn't unusually high but exists............https://www.abs.gov.au/statistics/people/crime-and-justice

You missed my point. Of course Australia deals with all the same issues the NRA blames while ignoring the real problem. 
The god-damned guns. 

15 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

when there is an active terrorist insurrection funded by donors from the the USA, it is challenging to prevent violence.  Were shooting incidents more common in Northern Ireland at that time (per capita) where there was an ongoing terrorist situation, or in the USA?

Not the issue.

The issue was that despite extremely tight laws and penalties, random vehicle searches etc, gun crime in Northern Ireland was higher than any where we could find reliable figures for.

As a matter of interest NZ changed its gun laws after an Australian terrorist who did not meet criteria for legal ownership tragically killed 51 people in Christchurch.

Since the laws were changed there has been a huge increase in gun crime despite legal owners like myself surrendering, in my case valuable target rifles, as our govt told us it would reduce gun crime.

What a load of rubbish and tragically police and civilians have died and been injured as more and more criminals carry guns in NZ and use them.

Edited by Patong2
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, charleskerins said:

The bull<deleted> never ends       Obama took all the guns remember   or was that Hitler ?

"Obama took all the guns remember"

Actually I don't remember that.

"4 Years After Sandy Hook, Obama Leaves a Legacy of Little Progress on Gun Laws

No federal gun laws have been passed during his two terms, and gun sales are up...

Yet for all the words, Obama has made little federal progress toward what he has repeatedly described as "common-sense gun laws." It is, the outgoing president has acknowledged, one of the biggest regrets of his time in the White House."

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/years-sandy-hook-obama-leaves-legacy-progress-gun/story?id=44163755

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cdemundo said:

No federal gun laws have been passed during his two terms, and gun sales are up...

Yet for all the words, Obama has made little federal progress toward what he has repeatedly described as "common-sense gun laws." It is, the outgoing president has acknowledged, one of the biggest regrets of his time in the White House."

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/years-sandy-hook-obama-leaves-legacy-progress-gun/story?id=44163755

Not an Obama fan, but there is basically nothing he could do, aside from what he only does, is talk a good line.  Gun laws are out of his hands, and in the hands of the voters.

Apparently, they seem to be happy or content with the laws of their state, or I'd think they would press their reps to change them.   That's simply not happening on a state or federal level.

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, cdemundo said:

You try and take Americans guns away you lose votes. Votes are what they're after. More than 40% are gun owners. No matter what, that's a lot of votes.

• Agree 2

23 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Absolutely

But then again they breed like rabbits, I guess too many 

I have no objection to shooting rabbits if you eat them, my mum used to make a delicious rabbit stew. But to kill anything for fun is sad. 

1 hour ago, fredwiggy said:

You try and take Americans guns away you lose votes. Votes are what they're after. More than 40% are gun owners. No matter what, that's a lot of votes.

Agreed Fred.

But I was responding to the post that said:

When he clearly did not.

• Like 1