Thailand’s tourism ministry plans workshop to become global hub by 2030

webfact

The penny hasn’t dropped yet. Tourists are avoiding Thailand in favour of other Asian countries. Thailand has too many laws (that keep changing), too many attacks on foreigners, too much discrimination against foreigners and too much exploitation of foreigners🤨

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, A.N. Other said:

The penny hasn’t dropped yet. Tourists are avoiding Thailand in favour of other Asian countries. Thailand has too many laws (that keep changing), too many attacks on foreigners, too much discrimination against foreigners and too much exploitation of foreigners🤨

Nonsense. 28 million tourists last year. On course to hit 40-50 million this year, if you look at how busy January and February were. 

Of course cheap over tourism creates problems. 

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, A.N. Other said:

The facts speak differently.

https://thediplomat.com/2023/03/southeast-asias-post-pandemic-tourism-revival/

18 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Such vision. Let's get at least 150 million tourists. Never mind airport capacity, inconvenience, immigration woes, and the declining quality of the tourists and the environment. Just get them. 

We have a fire in our bellies that is about the ignite. We can smell the money. 

could you imagine a 500 percent increase of visitors to phuket. hahaha

laughable.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, stoner said:

could you imagine a 500 percent increase of visitors to phuket. hahaha

laughable.

It's become one reason we are planning to leave Phuket. There isn't the infrastructure to support this sharp uplift in short term, or long term visitors. It's a pure money grab.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Markets/Property/China-and-Russia-buyers-flock-to-luxury-homes-in-Southeast-Asian-resorts

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:

Nonsense. 28 million tourists last year. On course to hit 40-50 million this year, if you look at how busy January and February were. 

Of course cheap over tourism creates problems. 

How many weekenders/day trippers from Malaysia?

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Karma80 said:

It's become one reason we are planning to leave Phuket. There isn't the infrastructure to support this sharp uplift in short term, or long term visitors. It's a pure money grab.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Markets/Property/China-and-Russia-buyers-flock-to-luxury-homes-in-Southeast-Asian-resorts

I'm the sad emoji to your post. It's sad that you are planning to do this but understandable. Go up the coast a bit out of Phuket to get away from (not so) little Russia. Personally I think Phuket is a bit of a sht hole now, at least the tourist areas.

HUB of Russians.

Edited by dinsdale
  • Like 2

i have lived in phuket for just over a month or so now and i can already see where it is going. 

in 10 years this place will be a total disaster. as you say the infrastructure is lacking in so many ways. i love the round about up here near robinson. or the part going to patong from phuket town where it turns into an alleyway basically. where the shops are literally a few feet from the road. i plan only living here a year or so to get set up then move to maybe trang or florida :)

• Like 1

It is very common here to do this kind of wished for anticipation of future results, without engaging in anything in the way of planning, traffic mitigation or visionary policy.

That is pretty much par for the course when you have an absolute bottom of the barrel administration, completely devoid of talent, appointments based on merit and experience, and a completely lost PM, who is in totally over his head. 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

It is very common here to do this kind of wished for anticipation of future results, without engaging in anything in the way of planning, traffic mitigation or visionary policy.

That is pretty much par for the course when you have an absolute bottom of the barrel administration, completely devoid of talent, appointments based on merit and experience, and a completely lost PM, who is in totally over his head. 

Yep. Empty headed, priviledged, thought bubble morons. Fools run this country, retract, corrupt fools run this country. Anyone want to challenge me on this and say that this isn't the case? Only when this changes can Thailand move forward.

22 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Yep. Empty headed, priviledged, thought bubble morons. Fools run this country, retract, corrupt fools run this country. Anyone want to challenge me on this and say that this isn't the case? Only when this changes can Thailand move forward.

I guarantee you you will get no detractors wit your comments on this, or the last administration. They are probably comparable to a lot of other governments, except they raise the bar when it comes to foolishness and idiocy and they take it a step further by making these ridiculous declarations of how about this we are the hub of this, and the center of that. 150 million tourists within the next 5 years, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.

An awful lot of spouting of stupidity on a daily basis. 

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, dinsdale said:

I'm the sad emoji to your post. It's sad that you are planning to do this but understandable. Go up the coast a bit out of Phuket to get away from (not so) little Russia. Personally I think Phuket is a bit of a sht hole now, at least the tourist areas.

HUB of Russians.

Unfortunately, my work requires access to some semblance of an international airport for frequent travel, which means either Phuket or Bangkok. Having lived in Bangkok, I could not go back to the daily pollution and traffic, which gets more crippling each year.

Phuket has found itself in a strange situation where Russians have bought up much of the higher-end property stock on the island, and at the other end of the spectrum, you can stay here for little money on dodgy ED visas long term, and short-term low-end visitor calibre charge continues as Thailands perception of a hub of sex and now open drug sales continues. It's relative of course, and for some it's no doubt a paradise by comparison to the other options they have. I can't imagine why anyone would actually bring a family on holiday here if you had a choice.

Nevertheless, Phuket has taken a different path back out of the pandemic, and not for the better. It's was already driven by stupidity, local corruption, money and lack of medium-term planning, never mind long-term. Now there are more people than ever coming to abuse that situation. There's no coming back from that over the next ten years.