More than 70 per cent of transgender prisoners are in for sex offences or violent crimes

Social Media

image.png

The latest government figures from British jails have revealed a concerning trend regarding transgender prisoners, with more than 70 percent of them serving sentences for sex offenses and violent crimes. This revelation has sparked a debate among women's rights campaigners about the appropriateness of housing male prisoners who identify as women in female prisons, particularly in light of the high prevalence of violent offenses among this demographic.

According to the data, out of the 244 transgender inmates in British jails, over 74 percent are incarcerated for crimes such as rape, sexual assault, forcing minors into sexual activity, grievous bodily harm, and robbery. Of these, 144 transgender women (individuals assigned male at birth but identify as female) are housed in male prisons, while five are currently in female prisons, including high-security facilities.

The significant proportion of violent crimes among transgender prisoners underscores the concerns raised by women's rights advocates about their placement in female prisons. Critics argue that this poses a threat to the safety and well-being of female inmates and staff. They contend that the inherent physical differences between biological males and females can create an environment conducive to intimidation, harassment, and violence.

Former prisoners and prison officials have shared anecdotes highlighting the challenges posed by housing transgender women in female facilities. Instances of bullying, intimidation, and disruptive behavior by transgender inmates have been reported, leading to heightened tensions and safety concerns among other prisoners.

Rhona Hotchkiss, a former prison governor, emphasized the need for a nuanced approach to housing transgender prisoners, suggesting that their placement in male prisons may be more appropriate given the prevalence of violent offenses among this population.

Maya Forstater, executive director of Sex Matters, stressed the importance of prioritizing the safety and well-being of female inmates, arguing that the presence of transgender women in female prisons creates an intimidating environment for women already vulnerable to trauma and abuse.

Professor Kathleen Stock, a gender-critical feminist, highlighted the need for a comprehensive understanding of the risks posed by transgender prisoners, particularly in cases involving violent crimes and sexual offenses. While acknowledging that not all transgender individuals are violent, she underscored the importance of addressing safety concerns and implementing policies to mitigate risks.

In response to these concerns, the Ministry of Justice reiterated its commitment to ensuring the safety and security of all prisoners. It clarified that transgender women convicted of sexual or violent offenses, or those retaining male genitalia, are typically held in male prisons, with exceptions made only in truly exceptional circumstances.

Source

image.png

11 minutes ago, Social Media said:

transgender prisoners, with more than 70 percent of them serving sentences for sex offenses and violent crimes.

They're very confused and lost from the get go.....

3 hours ago, Social Media said:

while five are currently in female prisons, including high-security facilities.

I assumed this would be for white collar crimes such as fraud, tax evasion or for not paying for a TV licence but nope, 4 out of 5 are literally murderers

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/10224269/four-of-five-trans-inmates-womens-prisons-are-murderers/

• Thanks 2

Where are trans criminals in Thailand placed? I have spent about 4 years in the Pattaya area of Thailand. In all my bar hopping and going to malls I never once saw a LB in the men's room. Neither did I ever hear an out cry about them going to the ladies room. This story likely ran in a Tory yellow press rag trying to start a culture war with there party getting obviated in the polls with an election due. Just checked, it ran in The Telegraph so my instinct was correct.

Edited by pegman
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, pegman said:

Where are trans criminals in Thailand placed? I have spent about 4 years in the Pattaya area of Thailand. In all my bar hopping and going to malls I never once saw a LB in the men's room. Neither did I ever hear an out cry about them going to the ladies room. This story likely ran in a Tory yellow press rag trying to start a culture war with there party getting obviated in the polls with an election due. Just checked, it ran in The Telegraph so my instinct was correct.

Thai LBs convicted of a crime will be housed in a male prison.  They are legally men here even if they have the full operation to remove (or do whatever) with their genitals.   In bars I've seen LBs using either and nobody seems to care, but I don't think I've ever seen one using a urinal as they stick to cubicles.   It's a bit different over here as LBs (as far as I know) are not asking for 'special' treatment which comes at the expense of women's safety.

The concern about males in the west gaining access to female spaces is not a right wing issue, it is a feminist issue and their desire to protect their spaces which traditionally would have been a left wing concern.   Somehow this has flipped and anyone who thinks that male rapists should not be accommodated in female prisons or mediocre male athletes should not be competing against women in sport is now "far right".   The left only seem to care about the "T" in LGBT and it has been left to the right to argue the case why it is that lesbian women are not being transphobic if they do not want to date women with penises.   

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

and the pm was going on about the uk having become a warzone in the news a couple days ago.

i am not for the death penalty, but if things are that bad everywhere, maybe its time to reconsider society's options.

5 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

I suspect that construction of prisons for transgenders might be advisable

I think separate cells and segregating them in some activities would do just as well and be much easier to implement.

Edited by heybruce
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Pouatchee said:

and the pm was going on about the uk having become a warzone in the news a couple days ago.

i am not for the death penalty, but if things are that bad everywhere, maybe its time to reconsider society's options.

Things are not that bad.

22 hours ago, pegman said:

Where are trans criminals in Thailand placed?

Mainly Beach Road Pattaya, where there are regular stories about them committing violent crime. 

22 hours ago, pegman said:

I have spent about 4 years in the Pattaya area of Thailand. In all my bar hopping and going to malls I never once saw a LB in the men's room. Neither did I ever hear an out cry about them going to the ladies room. This story likely ran in a Tory yellow press rag trying to start a culture war with there party getting obviated in the polls with an election due. Just checked, it ran in The Telegraph so my instinct was correct.

It's not a right wing issue. It's about protecting women and providing safe spaces for them. Not every woman wishes to spend time in a prison or changing room with a man in a dress.