Chinese tourist killed by a pickup truck on his first day in Thailand

webfact

12 minutes ago, FarangFB said:

Some people might think you're joking but it does actually make sense. There are not only drivers that don't stop but no matter how many zebra crossings you got (Pattaya beach road for example) there are still tons of pedestrians that will cross anywhere they please, even there are zebra crossings less than 40m away.

Think you have got it right . In Thailand the zebra crossings are supposed to be where pedestrians cross the road . Not sure about the rest of the world but in the UK the traffic will stop for people on the zebra crossing but not in Thailand . Maybe cameras could help ? Where I live there are cameras that take your picture when passing through a red light . A letter arrives with the picture and a fine . When taken to the local police they say no problem and not pay . Also I often see cars and trucks double parked on zebra crossings . Ten years old children riding motor bikes .  Thailand is almost a lawless country   

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

23 hours ago, BangkokHank said:

They should actually eliminate all zebra crossings in Thailand. All they do is give pedestrians, especially foreign ones, a false sense of security. 

Tha same with traffic lights as many Thais especially on motor bikes ignore them 

I don't think Thais especially on motorbikes ignore them, they just don't always comply. So as we all know this then act accordingly instead of complaining. 

• Confused 2

On 3/3/2024 at 9:43 AM, dingdongrb said:

Zebra crossings mean absolutely nothing in Thailand. That's a fact based on my personal experience.

They are worse than nothing. People think that drivers will stop but of course the white/black lines mean accelerate. Better to avoid them if you want to live.

• Agree 2

On 3/3/2024 at 9:04 AM, webfact said:

As he was returning to his hotel, a pickup truck, travelling at high speed and with its siren blaring,

RIP Tourist.  Speed Siren??? Didn't Stop. RecIpy for Jail .Havd a nice Stay in there, should be good for 15 Yrs.

22 hours ago, xylophone said:

I have to agree with you on this BangkokHank, as I have seen so many "nearly accidents" due to both pedestrian and driver ignorance as to how these things work.

Indeed I was paying a visit to a hospital in Bangkok and a friend of mine warned me about the traffic on one of the main roads and suggested I use the pedestrian crossing which was controlled by traffic lights; so I did, and whilst all of the traffic chose to stop, one idiot in a truck came barrelling down the road and missed me by a whisker, and then only because I had seen him out of the corner of my eye past the other stationary traffic.

Unfortunately Thai folk do not know how to use roundabouts, pedestrian crossings, or have any "road sense" whatsoever and I don't think that will ever change given the current status/nature of the training given to 1st time drivers – – i.e. just about zilch.

"Your friend" should have warned you about the possibility of that happening. I think he owes you a steak dinner somewhere fancy next time you're in Bangkok.

20 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

"Your friend" should have warned you about the possibility of that happening. I think he owes you a steak dinner somewhere fancy next time you're in Bangkok.

He's a long-time good friend here, and he did say that I should be careful of the traffic, but I didn't think that a traffic light controlled pedestrian crossing would present a problem!

On 3/3/2024 at 12:04 PM, BangkokHank said:

They should actually eliminate all zebra crossings in Thailand. All they do is give pedestrians, especially foreign ones, a false sense of security. 

following your logic, do away with speed limits and passing only on the right b/c Thais don't road regulations anyway?

On the other hand, how about doing road enforcement by traffic police... 

23 hours ago, transam said:

After a doctor was killed on a crossing, the BiB/Gov got their act together

As per the Saftey Push honouring the road death of the Thai Doctor on a crossing in a BP article.

But they are the Thai government most beloved money makers … errr … tourists, will we see a bigger safety push to honour 2 Chinese Tourists?  … also the push didn’t last long as most of the crossings in CM are now the same colour as the road (or smog).

On 3/3/2024 at 12:52 PM, KannikaP said:
On 3/3/2024 at 9:04 AM, webfact said:

Tourist police said that the pickup truck used a fake license plate.

How did they know if the truck had pi55ed off?

Because, as has previously been reported, patrolling Tourist Police saw the pickup pissing off and chased it.

On 3/3/2024 at 12:59 PM, impulse said:

Zebra crossings in much of the world just convey permission to cross with no fear of a jaywalking violation.  They don't convey right of way.  The traffic signals do that.  Or they don't, if there's no signal there.  There's quite a few zebras in Bangkok that have signals.

zebra-crossings-2-600x363.jpg.06125954c3e54e42b2d339b615dce918.jpg

Do you figure traffic would ever move if there were no signals to regulate pedestrians at intersections like this?

Edit:  Reminds me of some protests in So California where I lived in the '90s (where zebra crossings do convey right of way).  Protestors completely gridlocked traffic by simply walking back and forth across the zebras.

Wasn't there one in, Phuket I think, where they had signal lights and there was a video of vehicles ignoring them. Including a police pick up.

Very sad.

Maybe if Chinese authorities warn there citizens of these dangers, alongside the others we've seen recently, then hopefully the Chinese will stop coming and tourism will suffer and then it will effect something important enough to get the Thai government to actually take some responsibility.

Money.

20 hours ago, Wiggy said:
23 hours ago, NoDisplayName said:

Siren?

Might have been one of the bodysnatcher vehicles. They often drive like complete lunatics. 

It was a construction worker who illegally had lights and sirens on his vehicle but removed them after dumping the pickup.

20 hours ago, still kicking said:

Good song 

Great song remix and wonderfully sexy dancers from Korea. I love this group and have many of their dance videos.

1 hour ago, xylophone said:

He's a long-time good friend here, and he did say that I should be careful of the traffic, but I didn't think that a traffic light controlled pedestrian crossing would present a problem!

Did you not read about the lady doctor that was killed whilst crossing the road in Bangkok whilst using a zebra crossing? 

It happened in early January 2022 and was widely publicised. I arrived in Bangkok around that time after a long absence and it's the first thing I think about now before I take my life in my hands and cross the road here.

I'm surprised your friend didn't mention this to you, I guess he doesn't read the news.

5 hours ago, Robbkk said:

Zebra crossings with no stop lights are death traps and should be removed.

I am not sure stop lights would make much of a difference. Perhaps in addition to lights having a physical barrier or tire spikes pop up from the road might stop the crazy Thai drivers.

And no thai take to the street like they did in Phuket against the Swiss man. Another proof of thai racism. Deport unpleasant foreigner, but do nothing to stop thai from killing thais and foreigners in traffic.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

On 3/3/2024 at 9:43 AM, dingdongrb said:

Zebra crossings mean absolutely nothing in Thailand. That's a fact based on my personal experience.

Ask a few Thai folks about this, many will say 'you can't ask drivers to stop at such crossings because it would interfere with the traffic flow'.

• Sad 1

Just now, JimTripper said:

Maybe it meant a horn blaring to warn him to get out of the way, not a siren.

Don't know bout today but 20 years ago many business / private citizens had such sirens with flashing light installed on the roofs of their pick up trucks / cars / luxury cars. 

Then an accident and it became a complex argument which revealed that there were no laws on this subject. In other words no laws to stop anybody from installing such sirens /lights. 

Then laws were passed indicating that only police cars / fire engines / ambulances etc., were allowed to have these items and with a license. 

On 3/3/2024 at 2:32 AM, steven100 said:

oh dear  '    only lasted 1 day .....  very sad indeed ....   the tour guide didn't mention zebra crossing's in the Bangkok sight-seeing safety speech.

I think he was the tour guide (according to the report)

.......and he led the group on a sight-seeing tour of Bangkok.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Geir Rasch said:

And no thai take to the street like they did in Phuket against the Swiss man. Another proof of thai racism. Deport unpleasant foreigner, but do nothing to stop thai from killing thais and foreigners in traffic.

Such garbage.  The driver was Cambodian, not Thai.  

12 minutes ago, JimTripper said:
47 minutes ago, IamNoone88 said:

Pickup truck with a siren blaring? 

as in a police siren?

Maybe it meant a horn blaring to warn him to get out of the way, not a siren.

Previous reports were that the illegal emergency lights were removed when the pickup was abandoned so it is very likely the the "siren" was, in fact, a siren.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

I think he was the tour guide (according to the report)

.......and he led the group on a sight-seeing tour of Bangkok.

oh dear '   that's even worse ...   who's going to take the group around tomorrow. 

• Confused 1