Chinese tourist killed by a pickup truck on his first day in Thailand

webfact

On 3/3/2024 at 9:54 AM, Nick Carter icp said:

As some roads are one way roads, its always better to look both ways before crossing , whatever Country you re in 

And on Thailand's roads, especially in bulit up areas, out of the back of your head as well!

3 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Because, as has previously been reported, patrolling Tourist Police saw the pickup pissing off and chased it.

I must have missed that. So then what happened please?

• Confused 1

On 3/3/2024 at 12:52 PM, KannikaP said:

How did they know if the truck had pi55ed off?

My guess would be once they seen the video from the CCTV, they ran the plate and it came back not belonging to the type of vehicle it was on.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/3/2024 at 9:43 AM, dingdongrb said:

Zebra crossings mean absolutely nothing in Thailand. That's a fact based on my personal experience.

They might as well put up a sign saying: COMMIT SUICIDE HERE

• Haha 1

On 3/3/2024 at 12:59 PM, impulse said:

Zebra crossings in much of the world just convey permission to cross with no fear of a jaywalking violation.  They don't convey right of way.  The traffic signals do that.  Or they don't, if there's no signal there.  There's quite a few zebras in Bangkok that have signals.

I would think that in most of the world they do convey the right of the way. Even in Thailand the regulations state that the drivers must stop when anyone crossing on zebra and the fine is 4,000 Baht for not stopping. Unfortunately, in Thailand it is largely ignored by most drivers and almost never enforced. Some drivers with whom I have spoken here do not even know that this is indeed the regulation. I know in many countries in Europe you will be heavily fined even if you do not stop when a pedestrian is standing on a kerb next to zebra with an intent to cross. In which countries do not they give the right of way?

• Like 1

On 3/3/2024 at 12:08 PM, transam said:

No, when folk road tax their ride, they should be given a flyer on the penalty for not stopping at a crossing, and the person behind the desk should say, "Be warned"..........😉

The fine for hitting a pedestrian in a zebra crossing is up to 4,000 baht, there is no minimum fine. Someone can get away with hitting for 200 baht. Raise the fine to 20,000 baht minimum and 100,000 baht plus  up to 1 year in jail and drivers might start to avoid pedestrians in crosswalks.

12 hours ago, Robbkk said:

Zebra crossings with no stop lights are death traps and should be removed.

Drivers can't see them, but pedestrians think it's safe to cross without looking both ways like they should have been taught when they were 5.

More lights.....  LOL  

Many don't abide by the regular traffic lights so adding more lights won't solve anything.

Don't get me started on the lack of disrespect towards emergency vehicles such ambulances when they are using flashing lights as well as sirens.

3 hours ago, KannikaP said:
7 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Because, as has previously been reported, patrolling Tourist Police saw the pickup pissing off and chased it.

I must have missed that. So then what happened please?

The pickup was located at a construction company.

• Confused 1

On 3/3/2024 at 9:43 AM, dingdongrb said:

Zebra crossings mean absolutely nothing in Thailand. That's a fact based on my personal experience.

Zebra crossing fools people and let them to trust without being careful while crossing. 
In fact zebra crossing is killer rather than a saver here. 
I do not trust zebras even with red light 🚦just because some motorcycles don't care and go thru. 

I'm beginning to think it's not about driver ignorance or lack of law enforcement or poor driving, although those all contribute; but after reading all the headlines recently the fundamental issue in Thailand seems to be a lack of respect for life outside one's self

• Like 1

On 3/3/2024 at 9:04 AM, webfact said:

a pickup truck, travelling at high speed and with its siren blaring, failed to stop, struck the victim on the crossing and drove off

This should not be difficult to find. How many pick-up trucks could there be with sirens blaring? Oh wait.. That would be every police car. Hmm... Perhaps they should begin the search within their own department. 

On 3/3/2024 at 9:04 AM, webfact said:

Tourist police said that the pickup truck used a fake license plate.

so the driver must be police or family from them.  fake plates,, first time i hear this hahahaha

• Like 1

On 3/4/2024 at 10:20 PM, cncltd1973 said:

I'm beginning to think it's not about driver ignorance or lack of law enforcement or poor driving, although those all contribute; but after reading all the headlines recently the fundamental issue in Thailand seems to be a lack of respect for life outside one's self

Agreed...    this is often called the 3 Circles that Thai's have...

1) Themselves and immediate loved ones

2) Friends and Work colleagues

3) Everyone else.

It is in the 3rd category, everyone else, that it has been argued that Thai's are completely indifferent to and have no regard for. 

I'm inclined to agree that it appears that Thai's have very little regard for the value of life of 'everyone else'... 

• Thumbs Up 1