Cookware for induction hobs - where to buy and what to buy?

In my new kitchen I have induction hobs. Some of my old pot and pans work, some not.

As far as I know it's easy to check if they will work. If they are magnetic, then they will work. If not, then not.

Now I want to buy some new pots and pans. It should be quality, but I don't need anything designer or fancy to show off. They should just work.

Can anybody recommend what to buy and where? I.e. Central Department store or something like that?

In this case I want to buy them in a real shop and not online so that I can look at them in real.

I look for a shop somewhere in central Bangkok.

Thanks

Just now, OneMoreFarang said:

Ok

Any specific brand? How do you like them? Would you buy them again?

Sorry.  It was too long ago and I gave them away when my job ended and I left Thailand.  Admittedly, the selection was hit and miss.  Sometimes they had a good selection, sometimes slim pickin's.  I just chose the ones with the thickest stainless bottoms and they held up fine for 4 or 5 years of use.

1 hour ago, zhounan said:

I bought a few FIKA brand pots. If I am not wrong are made in Korea. For what I cook, basically Mediterranean diet, I am very satisfied.

But, I must admit that initially I bought them because "fica" in Italian means pussy.

They look nice.

Did you buy them in a shop in Thailand? Where?

I see them online, but I would prefer to see them in real before I buy them.

Buy Quality Ceramic Non Stick Kitchen Cookware | FIKA by Neflam – Cook with FIKA

Central has a large selection. Both cheap and pricey options. I use induction and love it. However, I noticed my frying pans don't last long before they start to warp. I read online that this happens to pans that are larger than the induction area. They don't get an even heat distribution. Regular pots are fine. I am thinking to invest in a ceramic coated cast iron pan. They are pricey but solves the problem.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, scoutman360 said:

I noticed my frying pans don't last long before they start to warp

Yesterday I cooked potatoes and I started with the maximum power. It was an amazing sight how fast the water was boiling and the movement in the lower pot (I guess from all that energy inducted into it).

I guess the old but working pot which I used yesterday was never designed to absorb so much energy so quickly. 

When you go looking, take a magnet..... a strong fridge magnetic sticker will do. Look at the base of the pan. If it is a magnetic inlay, be very wary, some do not work very well. Also be wary of cheap laminated bases, the layers can separate under the thermal stress.

The cheapest Chinese flat bottomed woks and pans work well. Zebra and Meyer are reputable, but again, test with a magnet. Ikea do some very good cookware.IMG_20240305_100154_144.thumb.jpg.3d3170ddb131449ba14e87c7166a847b.jpg

I made my own griddle out of ¼" mild steel plate, seasoned with oil and salt, it has lasted 10years of use with no rusting, and cost buttons!IMG_20240305_100129_714.thumb.jpg.ad1392bfb1496a8c5c9f4d76d8750d41.jpg

11 minutes ago, Grusa said:

When you go looking, take a magnet..... a strong fridge magnetic sticker will do. Look at the base of the pan. If it is a magnetic inlay, be very wary, some do not work very well. Also be wary of cheap laminated bases, the layers can separate under the thermal stress.

The cheapest Chinese flat bottomed woks and pans work well. Zebra and Meyer are reputable, but again, test with a magnet. Ikea do some very good cookware.IMG_20240305_100154_144.thumb.jpg.3d3170ddb131449ba14e87c7166a847b.jpg

I made my own griddle out of ¼" mild steel plate, seasoned with oil and salt, it has lasted 10years of use with no rusting, and cost buttons!IMG_20240305_100129_714.thumb.jpg.ad1392bfb1496a8c5c9f4d76d8750d41.jpg

I was given a tip for testing the quality of stainless steel. Any magnetism was a contraindicator as to quality. I had a lot of ss work done at my house 15 years ago. I tested the steel while it was still being shipped. No magnetism. 15 years later, no rust. But induction requires magnetism, so I guess the opposite is true. 🤔

Edited by bradiston

Central may still stock Meyer brand of pots and pans. 

Meyer have a 10 piece set of the Bella Classico model which I used for several years when living in Chiang Mai. 

You can also find them on Lazada for around 4000baht.

Good pots with a heavy base. 

15 hours ago, scoutman360 said:

Central has a large selection. Both cheap and pricey options. I use induction and love it. However, I noticed my frying pans don't last long before they start to warp. I read online that this happens to pans that are larger than the induction area. They don't get an even heat distribution. Regular pots are fine. I am thinking to invest in a ceramic coated cast iron pan. They are pricey but solves the problem.

My non stick frying pan cooks much faster in the middle on an induction hob. Eg scrambled egg.

2 hours ago, bradiston said:

I was given a tip for testing the quality of stainless steel. Any magnetism was a contraindicator as to quality.

Most stainless steel is not magnetic. Some is. If you need to know the details, google it. 

2 hours ago, Irons said:

Thinking about induction myself can I ask how much it cost please 

Single portable are available for cheap.

Big powerful units, which need big breakers, are more expensive.

As far as I know even the cheap once do the job and are a good introduction to get a feeling about induction.

My own summary, which is also similar to what others say on YouTube:

It heats extremely fast, a lot faster than anything else.

You can adjust the energy input precisely, and the change happens instantly.

10 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Most stainless steel is not magnetic. Some is. If you need to know the details, google it. 

I was under the impression non magnetic metals won't work on an induction hob.

There is some cookware that have sandwich base.  The outer layer could be aluminum/stainless steel or any other alloy/metal. 

It's what's sandwiched inside that makes a lot of this cookware work on induction cookers.  And yes induction works by using the magnetic fields or magnetism of the cookware. 

Rapidly changing magnetic fields produce heat. 

That's about as much as I know on the subject.  No doubt there are more knowledgeable folk on AN. 

44 minutes ago, bradiston said:

I was under the impression non magnetic metals won't work on an induction hob.

I bought an Electrolux portable, single hob unit. Sits on top of the worktop or old hob. Have used it continually for maybe 2 years. Got it in Homepro. Ideal for studio flat.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, bradiston said:

I was given a tip for testing the quality of stainless steel. Any magnetism was a contraindicator as to quality. I had a lot of ss work done at my house 15 years ago. I tested the steel while it was still being shipped. No magnetism. 15 years later, no rust. But induction requires magnetism, so I guess the opposite is true. 🤔

It's not a matter of quality as such, it's a matter of suitability for purpose. SS is an alloy, the properties of the alloy depend on the other metals present and their proportions, and on the crystalline structure of the alloy. I am no expert, metallurgy is a profession in its own right!

I am confused. 

I have a big stainless-steel pot from Seagull which I bought some time ago in Foodland.

It is not magnetic. I tested it with a strong magnet. No reaction at all.

So, I thought, just for the fun of it, let's try to warm some water in that pot on my induction hob. And, surprise, the water cooks.

Maybe a little slower than with another pot, but still fast enough.

So, what is this all about that non-magnetic pots don't work?

I also tried what I think is an aluminium pan, and that one doesn't heat at all. 

25 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I am confused. 

I have a big stainless-steel pot from Seagull which I bought some time ago in Foodland.

So, I thought, just for the fun of it, let's try to warm some water in that pot on my induction hob. And, surprise, the water cooks.

I also tried what I think is an aluminium pan, and that one doesn't heat at all. 

i just tried my pots, all magnetic and work. I've heard before that non induction pots might work but not efficiently so why would anyone use them? 

35 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I am confused. 

Google is not my friend anymore.😕

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

non induction pots might work but not efficiently so why would anyone use them?

Maybe because we have such pots already.

I will do some research, but I am pretty sure no energy will be lost every with less efficient pots. Because where should that energy go?

The induction field itself does not get hot. Only the pot or pan or whatever on top of that field gets hot.

I guess in the next days my gf can use that big pot to cook something, and then she can tell me if it works like on the old electric oven or better or worse. And then we can still decide what we should buy new.

7 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Maybe because we have such pots already.

I will do some research, but I am pretty sure no energy will be lost every with less efficient pots. Because where should that energy go?

The induction field itself does not get hot. Only the pot or pan or whatever on top of that field gets hot.

I guess in the next days my gf can use that big pot to cook something, and then she can tell me if it works like on the old electric oven or better or worse. And then we can still decide what we should buy new.

New pots don't cost much, might as well buy them otherwise what's the point getting induction 

4 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

New pots don't cost much, might as well buy them otherwise what's the point getting induction 

Let's say it like that. If something works fine, then I normally don't replace it.

I will make another test, putting maybe 1 liter water in a smaller magnetic pot and look how long it takes before it cooks, and then the same procedure with the big not magnetic pot. Let's see.

I don't mind spending a couple of thousand THBs on new pots. But only if the old pots don't work as expected.

I.e. I definitely need one or two new small pans because the existing pans (I think it's aluminium) don't work at all on the new hobs.