Who will miss the manual car when it’s gone? Only the very smuggest drivers

Social Media

On 3/5/2024 at 8:27 AM, Chomper Higgot said:

The thousands of truckers who will be put out of work by auto drive vehicles will definitely miss manual driven vehicles.

A disproportionate number of these people are Veterans, good, well paying jobs about to be stripped out.

Profit up, wealth distribution down.

What on earth are you talking about.....................😂

• Haha 1

On 3/5/2024 at 9:12 AM, KhunBENQ said:

But even I am not too happy about the CVT automatics that seem to be standard now in new small cars in Thailand.

Do they live long?

Why, our CVT will be 10 years old this year............😉

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 3/5/2024 at 11:27 AM, Chomper Higgot said:

The thousands of truckers who will be put out of work by auto drive vehicles will definitely miss manual driven vehicles.

A disproportionate number of these people are Veterans, good, well paying jobs about to be stripped out.

Most trucks are auto

12 minutes ago, Negita43 said:

Those were the days!!

I passed my test in a ford consul - 3 gear column change and in order to pass you had to go round sharp corners in 1st which had no synchromesh (double declutch) - those were the days THEN now give me an auto anyday - but it is true years ago you were taught roadcraft - not how to pass a theory test.

I wonder if people these days know what a double declutch action means?  I learnt to drive on a horrible, huge Ford Transit van with a clapped out diesel engine belching clouds of fumes and non-functioning gearbox. I actually managed to change gear without declutching at all, when my dad wasn't around. We had a different approach towards cars in those days... we looked after and controlled the car, seems to me that it's the car that controls the driver nowadays.. big car, must drive fast, MUST overtke, etc....

• Thumbs Up 1

1960's Mini Cooper S, MGB, stuff like that were good fun for the era, even my 1976 6.8 V8 was manual when I bought it, but things have moved on, my V8 became quicker when I changed to a performance auto, and was more reliable.

Nearly all 4 wheel motorsport is a form of auto now. The autos in street cars are way different to those of yesteryear.

CVT, the latest Auto kid on the block to rid folk of that clutch pedal, which brings fuel consumption to around that of a manual, using your engine's torque for the best possible performance and fuel economy....😉

The key for no problems with CVT is the oil/fluid change, change early is better, way more important than a regular auto............🤗

missus wanted a mazda 3... I hate auto's... but bought it.

2 years in she not like anymore and wanted a camry.

with a surplus Maz 3 on hand I started looking around what to do with it.

It is now manual awd and is a blast to drive.

• Thumbs Up 1

51 minutes ago, billd766 said:

A long time ago I relearned how to drive a manual when the company gave me a very old Leyland (I think) truck to work with. It had a 5 speed manual gearbox (on the floor), a 2 speed rear axle, and NO synchromesh in the gearbox (called a crash gearbox back then).

I was given an hours tuition and was taught how to double declutch (I still do most of the time in my 2001 Ford Ranger).

It was called a crash gearbox because if you got the engine revs wrong you could still get it into gear, but you would go partly deaf as you shoved it into a gear.

I also used to drive an Austin/Morris J2 van which had a 4 speed column gearbox change and if the gear lever worked you were in a gear, though not necessarily the one you actually wanted.

Quite often yo would change up or down and get reverse instead.

Nasty evil machine that was.

I have also driven an old Armstrong Siddeley that had a pre selector gearbox. You could select any gear you wanted while driving and nothing happened until you used the clutch and it would then change to whatever gear was selected.

My first wife in the UK had a couple of DAF 44s or 55s and she loved them.

That brings back memories!my first vehicle was a 1941 dodge power wagon weapons carrier convertible compleat with bullet holes lol used to take it up in the mountains and push rocks down the mountain and nock trees over with it!got caught on the public road once that cop put the fear of god in me lol you had to double clutch it it was a horrible piece of sh!t lol 😂 I loved it! I was 14 1/2 years old ahhh good times!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

The source of this is one of those feminists who write for The Guardian.

Now what should we expect from such a person?

Why don't we all use what we like? Maybe a Porsche with manual gearbox for fun and an automatic car or EV in the city? We don't have to all go in the same direction.

Let's remember the good old times.

CLARKSONS-LAST-LAP-OF-DUNSFOLD.png

I bet ICE Man Clarkson doesn't read The Aunigrad, either. Smoke in the air!

Edited by nauseus
  • Confused 1

40 minutes ago, Tug said:

That brings back memories!my first vehicle was a 1941 dodge power wagon weapons carrier convertible compleat with bullet holes lol used to take it up in the mountains and push rocks down the mountain and nock trees over with it!got caught on the public road once that cop put the fear of god in me lol you had to double clutch it it was a horrible piece of sh!t lol 😂 I loved it! I was 14 1/2 years old ahhh good times!

Checking on the ole moonshine again?

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, nauseus said:

Checking on the ole moonshine again?

More like the crop back in those days 😂 but no just being a dumb kid having a blast!

3 hours ago, 248900_1469958220 said:

Men that never learnt to drive manual transmission are now on their 6 th booster....

I think that will go right over their heads.

BTW I drove manual almost all by driving life and I get the 6 th booster quip. I never had a booster myself.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, cooked said:

I wonder if people these days know what a double declutch action means?  I learnt to drive on a horrible, huge Ford Transit van with a clapped out diesel engine belching clouds of fumes and non-functioning gearbox. I actually managed to change gear without declutching at all, when my dad wasn't around. We had a different approach towards cars in those days... we looked after and controlled the car, seems to me that it's the car that controls the driver nowadays.. big car, must drive fast, MUST overtke, etc....

LOL. your Transit van ain't anywhere near as "huge" as a Scammel truck. Nobody messes with one of those. Double declutch, but would go just about anywhere.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

IMO less to go wrong on an auto box, if one looks at how they work. Of course, an idiot could probably break one anyway.

Autos  more to fix, manuals  last longer and more reliable.................so i read, look it  up

Edited by Rampant Rabbit

1 minute ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

Autos  more to fix, manuals  last longer and more reliable.................so i read, look it  up

Yes, more to fix if they go wrong, but not having idiots changing the gears less likely to fail ( as long as the oil doesn't leak out ), IMO.

1 minute ago, JackGats said:

I'm not sorry to see stick gears on the way out. That way car rentals in Europe won't have any excuses left to charge more for automatic.

Theyll just go with the higher price forever, thats why.  Always  looking to screw you more seems  to be the want of  many comapnie s now

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Yes, more to fix if they go wrong, but not having idiots changing the gears less likely to fail ( as long as the oil doesn't leak out ), IMO.

You wreck the driving instructor car gears in the uk before buying your own😆 I never  had a problem with car gears, bike  gears they should make all drivers start on a  bike to understand road conditions more.

Edited by Rampant Rabbit

On 3/5/2024 at 8:27 AM, Chomper Higgot said:

Strange comments.

"A disproportionate number of these people are Veterans, good, well paying jobs about to be stripped out."

- Veterans - how is that relevant to the comment and what proof of this point is there?

I suggest many veterans would praise auto transmissions, easy and not complex to use. Changing from manual transmission to auto transmission is not difficult in any way.

- How is driving a manual transmission vehicle a 'well paying job"? 

- Reducing manual transmission vehicles "well paying jobs about to be stripped out." How's that? 

All of the above is just improvements in technology, got to be expected.