Paint for plastic doors?

proton

Got these horrible plastic doors in the kitchen, I would prefer to replace but her in bed says just paint them. Any recommendations for primer and top coat or is there an all in one product?

2 minutes ago, proton said:

Got these horrible plastic doors in the kitchen, I would prefer to replace but her in bed says just paint them. Any recommendations for primer and top coat or is there an all in one product?

We bought some paint that the salesman recommended from a builders merchant to paint the wifes daughters bathroom door, and it was painstaking to paint, the paint ran better than Sebastian Coe, It did look better but not great. I would go with your idea and buy a new door, not expensive to buy if my memory serves me well.

• Agree 1

Just now, Wobblybob said:

We bought some paint that the salesman recommended from a builders merchant to paint the wifes daughters bathroom door, and it was painstaking to paint, the paint ran better than Sebastian Coe, It did look better but not great. I would go with your idea and buy a new door, not expensive to buy if my memory serves me well.

Hard to get them out and in though, looks like you would have to re tile as well. I could mess them up with the paint then she would agree to new ones😃

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Wobblybob said:

Yes and no.  Most plastic doors also have plastic frames. Its a bigger job if you also need to replace the frame (casing).  Still, I'd take them out.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Wobblybob said:

I would recommend the same. I was at Do home (khon Kaen) this morning and the had a door sale display outside with some very good prices,. I think the paint might cost as much as buying a door, but I understand if you don't feel confident , don't feel like  changing a whole door, hinges and lock.  

Having said that, I installed some plastic doors, well a kind of composite on my bathrooms because of the moisture problem.  There are plastic doors and there are plastic doors. The ones I bought were pretty decent but I wouldn't want them on a kitchen.

9 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I would recommend the same. I was at Do home (khon Kaen) this morning and the had a door sale display outside with some very good prices,. I think the paint might cost as much as buying a door, but I understand if you don't feel confident , don't feel like  changing a whole door, hinges and lock.  

Yes I suppose it is up to the ability of the person doing the work. I think the doors I saw in the Mega store were around the 1000 baht price.

Edited by Wobblybob
Grammar.
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Muhendis said:

So give her the brush and let her get on with it

She only gets up to eat and chuck the washing in the machine🙂

• Haha 2

You could try rattle (spray) cans. 

Leyland make some great paints/colours. 

Their R2000 is a base prep especially for plastics.  I use Leyland religiously when painting motorbike plastics. 

Lazada is your friend.  Cheap as chips. 

• Like 2

Yep they are fairly ugly doors! 

Leyland are about 50 baht a can plus postage, but cheaper on postage if you buy more. 

Economy of effort and all that stuff.  It's an acrylic lacquer and dries super fast. 

They may have enamel as well but I've not used that. 

On 3/7/2024 at 2:33 PM, proton said:

forgot to post this

IMG_20240305_183505.jpg

I think prior to your photo majority thought you were talking entrance doors.

These are cabinets the size shown is pretty standard the doors come with the framing. What you have runs around Two thousand baht today stores like Homepro, Mega, Thaiwasadu. Carries them you can check their showrooms and upgrade from these plain ugly not much more worth it. Lots of nice selections these days 

I wouldn't paint if not done right will peel and chip. 

Measure the doors and framing if you are lucky they are standard. I believe the framing is held to cement with a few screws if not caulking.

Good luck