Indonesian Tourists Injured, Two Killed in Minivan Collision Near Pattaya

webfact

image.jpeg

Pattaya — A tragic accident occurred yesterday afternoon on Highway 7, leading towards Pattaya, resulting in the deaths of two people and multiple injuries to Indonesian tourists.

The accident occurred at 3 PM on March 4th, involving a six-wheeled truck and a minivan. Highway Police received a report and dispatched rescue personnel to the scene.

There, authorities encountered a long traffic jam stretching over 5 kilometers. The wreckage of the six-wheeled truck, belonging to Bangsaen Technical College, was located near the roadside. Its driver, Mr. Somsuan Wongnangrong, 56, was identified and reported that the truck had overturned after being hit from behind by a minivan while carrying tent frames and five college employees.

The truck had flipped onto its side, crushing the bodies of two employees, Mr. Somchai Ong-Art and Mr. Supachai Ong-Art, both 52 years old. The victims were brothers, and they suffered grievous injuries and died at the scene.

By Aim Tanakorn

Full story: THE PATTAYA NEWS 2024-03-06

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Mr. Somchai Ong-Art and Mr. Supachai Ong-Art, both 52 years old. The victims were brothers, and they suffered grievous injuries and died at the scene.

If they were twins, they came into the world together and went out together, RIP. 

• Like 1

Had to double-check the article as I initially thought they accidentally repeated the names. RIP to the two brothers. 

Time to limit the top speed of minivans to 90kph and stop people riding in the back of pick-ups and trucks.

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, RandiRona said:

Please drive safe and be always aware of your surroundings on Thai roads.

Unfortunately that isn't enough. You can be wiped out in an instant by anyone who doesn't do as you ask. Such as the victims in this case. How do you stop someone slamming into you from behind? Too many Thais are not wired in the right way to be in command of a motor vehicle.

And before anyone calls me out for Thai-bashing, the official death rate is 10x that of my native UK, with the same population numbers. And the worst driving I've seen is in Azerbaijan.

4 hours ago, mikebell said:

Guess how many cops I saw in four hours of driving? 

Tip; it was less than 1.

Good here innit 🤔

But how often did the police observe you or could should they wish to.🧐

Edited by VocalNeal

9 hours ago, webfact said:

A tragic accident occurred yesterday afternoon on Highway 7, leading towards Pattaya, resulting in the deaths of two people and multiple injuries to Indonesian tourists.

I makes you wonder sometimes why people keep coming to Thailand... death on roads or at sea has a high probability.

7 hours ago, RandiRona said:

Please drive safe and be always aware of your surroundings on Thai roads.

That's good advice! Keep your head on a swivel over here! Things coming at you from all directions and all different speeds!

• Love It 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, mikebell said:

Had the Highway Police been on the Highway this might not have happened.  Just back from a 350 kms round trip to Bangkok.  As always maniacs at over 150 kph abound weaving in and out of lanes.  Guess how many cops I saw in four hours of driving? 

Tip; it was less than 1.

Police presence in some countries helps. I kind of like driving in Thailand, no police so no fines.

In Australia if you don't stick close to speed limit it is only a matter of time for a big fine,

Police presence helps Australia has approximately4.3 deaths per 100,000, while this almost double the Uk still better than 32 per 100000 in Thailand.

Guess the brakes work better also. 😃

13 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Unfortunately that isn't enough. You can be wiped out in an instant by anyone who doesn't do as you ask. Such as the victims in this case. How do you stop someone slamming into you from behind? Too many Thais are not wired in the right way to be in command of a motor vehicle.

And before anyone calls me out for Thai-bashing, the official death rate is 10x that of my native UK, with the same population numbers. And the worst driving I've seen is in Azerbaijan.

Agree, that's why I talked about situational awareness, avoid motorbikes, drive in the middle lane so that you have a chance to change lanes if you have to take any evasive action. Thai roads are gamble and every time you drive back home safely is a good luck.