OPINION: If Mr. Trump takes power will more Americans REALLY leave the US this time?

Jingthing

I make no predictions but this article suggests that yes more really will.

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-reelected-americans-are-planning-to-flee-in-droves-2024-3

"Fleeing Trumpland

As the presidential election looms, millions of Americans are eyeing the exits."

Personally when I left the USA the political situation in the US had nothing to do with it. In fact I was happy with the political situation there at the time. Before Trump of course.

• Haha 2

just like all those who stated last time they would leave when he got elected....and they never did. 

of note from the link.

Granted, my unscientific survey was limited to a self-selected group of people 

of course it was. 

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, stoner said:

just like all those who stated last time they would leave when he got elected....and they never did. 

of note from the link.

Granted, my unscientific survey was limited to a self-selected group of people 

of course it was. 

The article makes a case it will be different this time.

5 minutes ago, Dolf said:

America would be better off without them. Start with The View panel.

That's what Putin says about the millions of Russians who have fled his dictatorship. 

11 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

The article makes a case it will be different this time.

You mean the far left businessinsider article?

image.png.8eae2d6244a27821f150e4070e4c4316.png

Edited by BenStark
Must be drunk lol
  • Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, Prubangboy said:

Coming from the very anus of TrumpTrash-land, I could make the claim, but really, I'm here for the good pad thai (the kind that costs 200 baht, in a restaurant with a full bar and expensive hill tribe handicrafts for sale).

I wouldn't be caught dead paying 200 baht for Pad Thai. To each his own.

• Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, Prubangboy said:

Thanks to the amateur demographer who never sleeps, MikeLister, I know that at most only 50K Americans live here. It's like the Passport Bro's on Reddit. Millions claim to be moving here, but few will ever actually pull the trigger, even at the 2 week millionaire level.

Coming from the very anus of TrumpTrash-land, I could make the claim, but really, I'm here for the good pad thai (the kind that costs 200 baht, in a restaurant with a full bar and expensive hill tribe handicrafts for sale).

Even more than having the money and personal freedom ability, being an expat requires a very unusual mindset.

So no, not much uptick likely and most refuseniks will be drifting -ironically- south of the border.

When I was living in Mex City 2 years ago, all of Mex's were cheerfully chanting:

"Build. The. Wall".

A good pad Thai at the food court in Big C costs 65 baht.

Being an expat requires the ability to adapt to a totally different culture and language.

There are pensioners in Australia who are shelling out more than half their pension in putting a roof over their heads, and buying dog meat for protein. Moving to another country would never occur to them.

20 minutes ago, Prubangboy said:

Thanks to the amateur demographer who never sleeps, MikeLister, I know that at most only 50K Americans live here. It's like the Passport Bro's on Reddit. Millions claim to be moving here, but few will ever actually pull the trigger, even at the 2 week millionaire level.

Even more than having the money and personal freedom ability, being an expat requires a very unusual mindset.

So no, not much uptick likely and most refuseniks will be drifting -ironically- south of the border.

When I was living in Mex City 2 years ago, all of Mex's were cheerfully chanting:

"Build. The. Wall".

Historically most American expats do move to Mexico, but there are many other countries on the radar including Thailand, and qualifying for Mexico is now significantly MORE expensive than Thailand.

You're making a prediction that there won't be an effect. I think it's possible but I do not know. 

1 minute ago, NorthernRyland said:

I wouldn't be caught dead paying 200 baht for Pad Thai. To each his own.

Yeah, I like a guy who went to cooking school and makes the sauce out of crushed shrimp heads and has some aspiration. I am super-supportive of chefs here trying to evolve wonderful Thai food and celebrate it.

Like if I go to Italy? I might pay more for a pizza, since I will be in a place I can eat the absolute best pizza on earth for $3 more.

I'm in Morocco right now, and the best goat cheese does in fact cost 20% more -to eat the finest, and support the people trying to do a little bit better, and enjoying the support of tourists who allow them to do so.

-Rather than gobbling down a gummy, too-sweet mess for 70 measly baht. I am in touch with basic reality that  good food costs money.

I am unsurprised that TrumpTrash eats swill.

It's who they are. In every aspect of their lives.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

A good pad Thai at the food court in Big C costs 65 baht.

Being an expat requires the ability to adapt to a totally different culture and language.

There are pensioners in Australia who are shelling out more than half their pension in putting a roof over their heads, and buying dog meat for protein. Moving to another country would never occur to them.

For people that are motivated to leave by politics, it would occur to them.

I have met many Americans abroad over the years who have been motivated to leave by politics.

But the vast majority have been right wingers.

I

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

But the vast majority have been right wingers.

-Looked at Mazlan, Mex. Heavy ex-military and cop.

Uh, thanks for your service, but I'll be shuffling off to somewhere more enlightened.

• Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, Prubangboy said:

I

-Looked at Mazlan, Mex. Heavy ex-military and cop.

Uh, thanks for your service, but I'll be shuffling off to somewhere more enlightened.

I get what you're saying but it's more affordable than Puerto Vallarta.

39 minutes ago, G_Money said:

Those celebrities were all talk, no action.  Following their liberal core values.

Yeah they were.

The article is not so much about celebrities as masses of more typical people.

54 minutes ago, Prubangboy said:

"Build. The. Wall".

50,000 isn't chopped liver.

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

Yeah they were.

The article is not so much about celebrities as masses of more typical people.

Thanks,  I’ll sleep better now knowing that.

1 hour ago, bob smith said:

never thought I would say this, but with the state of the world now the world needs trump! 

stick it to em, donald! 

Thsts like saying someone with viral pneumonia needs to be shot.

Jingting is one of half a dozen posters here who inspired me to post here after a decade of lurking. So I don't want to derail his thread into  just laughing at Trump people here.

-PLUS, so much of their ardor feels weirdly performative. They hold armloads of fairly liberal positions on everything from healthcare to gun control. And then travel, which real republicans never do. Finally, they are very suspiciously Jesus-lite.

I've asked about this dozens of times, and they always turn into Marcel Marceau when pressed. I suspect that they are just lazy faux-contrarians.

Back on topic, ONLY liberals care about Thai culture or cultural anything. Conservatives are truly just here for the cheap noodles and willing women. As I tour Morocco, I am extremely unlikely to encounter a republican.

Liberals in general are more likely to be expats for that reason. Then pretend-conservatives like we find here, and then finally, ex-military who are likely to have some former connection to a place they expat to.