Integration into Thai Society

Integration into Thai Society  

67 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Questions too generic and leading.

Interesting take

Should we all attempt to live our lives making allowances for the Thai way of life.  YES

Why?

Should we all attempt to become Thai NO

Why not?

Edited by FruitPudding
  • Confused 2

10 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Thanks.

Why Not?

Why?

Well, they were your points, so I can't really answer for you.

But I'll try...

I suppose one should try to make allowances for the Thai way of life, if it's harmless and acceptable to the foreigner, but I wouldn't say we "have to"

Becoming Thai could have some benefits, such as no longer having to worry about visas.

• Confused 2

53 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Ditto - my Wife is Australian Citizen. She easily able to apply, and she was treated so much better and fairer than I am in Thailand.  Sometimes I feel like a criminal out on parole - 90 day reports, annual extensions, reports when travelling, ask permission to leave country and return, no govt services, no free medical, etc etc.  I am treated like a tourist and that is because I am legally only that and will never been any more. Residency or Citizenship is out of my reach - a lawyer said not to waste my time and money

Damn right, and the amount of income tax I paid last year would have 98% of Thailand laughing at me.

8 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

Damn right, and the amount of income tax I paid last year would have 98% of Thailand laughing at me.

My intention is to avoid paying any income taxes at all to Thailand.  I am retired and dont earn money here - my only 'income' is retirement savings (some interest) and the pension.  If they force me to pay income taxes, then we are out of here and we will only return for a visit to the family/friends. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

Integration takes time and circumstances to prove out... how helpful will you be in a family emergency? 

I don't get it. What's family emergency got to do with it?

I think we all Adapt, Accept and Acclimatise to different extents.  

Rather than fully integrate, I believe we take some of the positives of Thai culture (not over thinking, acceptance of fate, sense of fun, outward polite behaviour) and add strengths from our own cultures (logic, commitment, sense of fair play).

I also hope we resist some of the negative traits here (entitlement, unearned respect, spite).

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

Integration takes time and circumstances to prove out... how helpful will you be in a family emergency? 

That's not accurate is it?  We could buy an Almera.

Thailand is for Thai people, and we will always be visitors.  Have you ever arrived at the airport and been greeted by a non-Thai immigration officer?

Compare that to The Islamic Republic of Heathrow.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

No. We will never be able to be a part of society here. We have to accept that. I am fine with that, as I have never felt a need to belong. The Thais will not accept us as one of them. Could be tribalism. Could be insecurity. I don't really care, and for me it is no big deal. Some aspects of life here, like the spectacularly weak practice of face, are something no sane and rational person would want to emulate. Same applies to some aspects of tradition, and very limited convention. 

In many countries, after 5 years or so, you are considered an honorary member of their society. Mexico is a good example. Not here. Not ever. 

Agreed.  Thailand is not as multicultural or as welcoming in the way that places like Singapore are, for example, where I had PR.

• Thumbs Up 1

48 minutes ago, SportRider said:

Agreed.  Thailand is not as multicultural or as welcoming in the way that places like Singapore are, for example, where I had PR.

Singapore today is in every way as multi-cultural as Thailand from a white person's perspective, just with more rules.

As a foreigner, you are categorized in three buckets (citizen, permanent resident and other - the latter can be tourist or tax paying employee with visa) plus your race. The three buckets determine, which price you pay in anything that is public service or health care (3-tierd pricing in SG vs. 2-tierd pricing in Thailand).

To become a permanent resident (or citizen) in Singapore you have to strengthen the ethnic status quo and cohesion of society. On your first visa application you state your race and you're categorized accordingly. Singapore is majority ethnic Han-Chinese, followed by Malay and Indian. Whites are a single digit percentage. Accordingly, if you want to become permanent resident nowadays as an employee on Employment Pass coming from Mainland China working eg. in one of the 'Singaporean', mainland Chinese founded tech companies (or also any other respected company), you'll easily get it after completing your first round of full year taxes about 1.5 years in.

These days, as a white person, you won't get it even after living and working in Singapore for 10 years on an Employment Pass. Forget about ever being able to retire in Singapore, even if you buy property at the inflated 60% stamp duty you have to pay as someone who just works there, but is not considered a permanent resident. After ending your job, you are a tourist and are required to leave.

You will never become a permanent resident or citizen in today's Singapore, unless you're a billionaire trying to evade US taxes. Then they do grant you citizenship, since that is the one and only exception (i.e. bringing lots of money to Singapore, in the 100m USD range and up).

Mind you, things in Singapore have changed massively in this regard since the immigration wave of about 2009. It's one of the most xenophobic countries I've ever been to so far (as a white person, admittedly). It's also a very friendly country, as long as you know your place. You'll just never be part of it. Singapore in this sense is very, very Southeast Asian.

Edited by pentagara
  • Thumbs Up 1