Toaster Recommendation?

ricklev

I've probably had 5 cheap toasters over the years  in Thailand and all were mediocre.  Any suggestions for a truly good toaster in 1000-1500 baht range?  All the recommended ones on consumer reports etc. are not available here.  I like to toast an occasional bagel and whole wheat bread.  Thanks!

Happy with this TEFAL Express, and about the ฿1000+/-.  Accepts Makro burger rolls, so normal size bagel should fit.   Might have bought from HomePro, as photo is from their listing.  Or Makro, and see it on LAZ also.

Best I've owned so far.  Tefal Express name at different locations on different models, this matches ours:

image.png.fd9ef280dc4bf22c6f84d555fb12887a.png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Buy on Lazada - plenty of good brands - have brands/models sold overseas (all made in China anyway).

Always good to have hands on some products.  Make sure the toaster will center whatever you place in it for even toasting.  Look at heating coils, make sure more than just a few, and evenly spaced on both sides.

Optional selection buttons for 'timed' (30 seconds) for warming up, or 'frozen' items.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Always good to have hands on some products.  Make sure the toaster will center whatever you place in it for even toasting.  Look at heating coils, make sure more than just a few, and evenly spaced on both sides.

Optional selection buttons for 'timed' (30 seconds) for warming up, or 'frozen' items.

Cannot argue with that - and yes I would only buy a toaster on Lazada that I have used before in Aust. 

11 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Always Electrolux. Spend the extra money. Well worth it. 

I bought an electrolux iron many years ago.

It stopped working after a few months, I took it to electrolux agent Naklua, they couldn't fix it, asked for my receipt, after showing them they gave me a new iron. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

I bought an electrolux iron many years ago.

It stopped working after a few months, I took it to electrolux agent Naklua, they couldn't fix it, asked for my receipt, after showing them they gave me a new iron. 

And I'll bet you are still using that iron. They make great products. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Yes, I have 2 Electrolux that came in a set with a kettle (1 set white and the other Stainless Steel) and after 7 or so years still working perfectly. I use them every day.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

And I'll bet you are still using that iron. They make great products. 

Yep, still got, going strong. 

In my family I have 3 females, it gets a good workout. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

23 hours ago, ricklev said:

I've probably had 5 cheap toasters over the years  in Thailand and all were mediocre.  Any suggestions for a truly good toaster in 1000-1500 baht range?  All the recommended ones on consumer reports etc. are not available here.  I like to toast an occasional bagel and whole wheat bread.  Thanks!

I think all these Chinese products have a kill switch they use after 2 or 3 years. My story is 5 kettles 13 years, all prices, different warranties, everything but the switch could be covered. 

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Not if the microwave is anything to judge by. 2 years on and the insides are rusting badly,and the turntable is very jerky 

11 minutes ago, Chongalulu said:

Not if the microwave is anything to judge by. 2 years on and the insides are rusting badly,and the turntable is very jerky 

You sure it wasn't a knock off.   I'm a big Electrolux fan, and they are far superior to other brands.  Usually worth the extra.   But do buy from the manufacturer or an authorized reseller, linked from the manufacturers website.

Electrolux Microwaves carry a 2 yr warranty ... did you contact them before the 2yr expiration ?

I've never needed, but I hear/read they do honor their warranties, as noted above.

I'd probably replace present one with an Electrolux ... If my toaster (Tefal) should die, doubtful, as yet to have one die, as all that were replaced were simply upgrades.  Old ones passed on to someone in need of one.

Edited by KhunLA

There are some great second hand shops that specialize in Japanese house hold goods.

If you go to Phra Khanong (BTS) there are several good second hand shops that have high quality Japanese electronics and house hold goods. I've always had good luck finding really good products there....

I have an Electrolux toaster oven.  The on/off knob is a twist timer to the right that is completely smooth.  Impossible to turn with the slightest moisture on my hand and if you turn it off and go slightly too far to the left it is designed to stay on.  I have done that accidentally a few times and only noticed the toaster oven blazing away a half hour later.

There is no possible way Electrolux does not know about this design flaw.  I'm guessing it has caused more than one kitchen fire.  There are discussions of it online.  

So, it seems to me that something ain't like it used to be at Electrolux.  

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Actually Electrolux is a brand name - not a maker anymore AFAIK.  The Otto TT-131A at under 300 baht appears to be exactly the same as the Electrolux Model 131A at over 500.  So if you need a warranty on a 300 baht item maybe a good choice - but at that price travel/replacement would likely cost more than a new Otto in my mind.

Don't be so lazy, just butter both sides of your homemade whole wheat bread, and toast up both sides, in your cast iron skillet.   Think 'Texas Toast' ... ENJOY every buttery toasted bite :coffee1:

2 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

I don't get this thread - all toasters last for years, they are incredibly simple devices. 

Agree and seem all the same inside, with small variations on how the magnet works.

6 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Agree and seem all the same inside, with small variations on how the magnet works.

Actually, the point of my starting this thread was to find a toaster that toasts well, not one that lasts a long time. By toast well I mean fully browned evenly on both sides.  I was unclear about that.

However, it is also true that all my toasters have eventually malfunctioned, usually because one bank of the heating elements stops working.  All of them have been Thai or Chinese brands costing around 300 baht.  

Just now, ricklev said:

Actually, the point of my starting this thread was to find a toaster that toasts well, not one that lasts a long time. By toast well I mean fully browned evenly on both sides.  I was unclear about that.

However, it is also true that all my toasters have eventually malfunctioned, usually because one bank of the heating elements stops working.  All of them have been Thai or Chinese brands costing around 300 baht.  

I've had cheap ones, and now have a Phillips that a friend left me, but always seem to have to turn the toast even with both elements working to get an even toast.