Headlamp bulb replacement Scoopy i

We've got a Scoopy i which actually belongs to my step daughter, but she lives in Bangkok now. It's rarely used apart from if the wife's sister visits, also from Bangkok. The only other times are to get fuel and just keep it running. We had to take it to get it tested which took only minutes and it passed even though the headlamp bulb was blown. Haven't used it at night so never noticed. I don't understand why it should pass in this condition but, hey, this is Thailand, where driving tests aren't conducted on the road as it would be too dangerous, apparently.

We could just take it to the Honda dealership or probably even the local village repair guy. I wouldn't trust him with anything much after I checked the tyres after he had pumped them up. I can't remember the psi but it was a lot and at the top end of my gauge. I don't think he has one.

As I don't have much of a life I thought I might as well do it. I may well have to go to the dealership to get the actual bulb but at least I'll have that sense of achievement. I know the front panel has to be removed and I've seen descriptions of the screws that need to be taken out but it isn't always clear and all the videos I've seen seem unable to show them, choosing instead to have long shots showing me what a bulb looks like.

I'm not sure of the year of the bike but my stepdaughter is 29 now and she was just finishing school at the time and would have been 17 or 18 according to my wife. I think she was the first person at her school to have a Scoopy i. 

I've removed the 3 screws on each side behind the edge of the fairing and 1 each side at the front, behind the wheel. There are 2 more just below the handle bars which seem to secure the panel above the lamp. I'm not sure if they need to come out or not but it's one less thing to hold it. At the moment the front panel doesn't seem to be loose but I don't know if that's because these things are always difficult to get off or if there are other fixings that need to be removed. There are 2 big screws on the front between the lamp and the mudguard on either side of what I assume is the horn. They look different and much bigger, so I'm thinking they perhaps shouldn't be removed. I've taken some pictures of the bike to identify it and the screws I've removed and the two I haven't. It's years since I've added pictures on here so it might not work.

I'm sure there's lots of people who've done this who can put me straight. Thanks in advance.

Bike.JPG

Screws 1.JPG

Screws 2.JPG

Screws 3.JPG

Screws 4.JPG

54 minutes ago, petermik said:

Youtube

Yes I've seen that one. It's so easy she doesn't actually do it. Hers is a later model as well by the looks of it. It does have the same 2 screws either side of the horn. The only reason I didn't take them out is they seemed a bit too big to just hold the front panel but maybe I'll try loosening them. I'd forgotten that her licence plate was attached there which of course we don't use  here. I've just loosened them but it doesn't seem to make a difference. It might be that it's just tight but I don't want to waste energy trying to move if there are other screws that are still holding it.

53 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Just take it to local motorbike repair guy , he's most likely done 100's

will have it done in minutes ,and will not be more than 100 Baht inc bulb,

regards worgeordie

Yes I could. Quite often I do with jobs here as I don't have the tools I had in the UK and buying them here would cost more than getting someone else to do it. I just thought I could do it myself as I have the time. 

Last weekend I replaced the inlet valve on one of the toilets, because I had the tools to do that.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, kimamey said:

Yes I could. Quite often I do with jobs here as I don't have the tools I had in the UK and buying them here would cost more than getting someone else to do it. I just thought I could do it myself as I have the time. 

Last weekend I replaced the inlet valve on one of the toilets, because I had the tools to do that.

I should clarify. I replaced the inlet valve on the toilet because it was leaking, not just because I had the tools to do it. I'm not that sad quite yet

• Haha 2

I managed to find a Thai manual for our Scoopy which it turns out we bought in March 2011. It's hard work reading it using Google translate on my phone but I eventually found the right page with diagrams. I'm sure there must be English versions as according to Wikipedia it's sold as the Metropolitan in the United States, the Jazz in Canada, the Scoopy in Australia and Asia, and the Crea Scoopy in Japan. The Jazz name in Canada is confusing. The name seems to have been used for bikes, cars and SUVs at various times and places.

Anyway I managed to remove the front panel and the bulb is just a case of taking off the rubber cover, pushing down on the back of the bulb and turning anti/counter clockwise. All I need to do now is get a new bulb and fit the front panel back. That may be a  bit more difficult based on experience.

As well as the screws I showed in the pictures there's a screw on either side which goes through the front of the floor panel. I'll include a picture of that. The 2 large screws either side of the horn, which are shown holding the licence plate in the video posted here have to be removed. I was told years ago that you could get a basket, like that on the Wave, for the Scoopy. I'm guessing that might use those 2 screws.

Screws 5.JPG

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, kimamey said:

Thank you for your valued support. I have now achieved my goal and I'm just wondering why I've not heard from the Thai media asking to interview me.

Maybe I should have punched the guy I bought the bulb from. 😁

Wow what a joyful day! Finally a conclusion to the saga! It's been an intense two weeks. I have to confess I already was thinking maybe he got lost in the maze of screws, nuts and panels as there was no life sign to be found. A snake could have been hiding under the covers. He could have suffered an electric shock. It's a dangerous world out there! But you persevered and made it all the way to the end. Next time we meet the drink's on me!

I don't know if it's too much to ask but.... could you post a picture of final triumphant bulbous machine?

Posted (edited)
On 3/21/2024 at 3:28 PM, eisfeld said:

Wow what a joyful day! Finally a conclusion to the saga! It's been an intense two weeks. I have to confess I already was thinking maybe he got lost in the maze of screws, nuts and panels as there was no life sign to be found. A snake could have been hiding under the covers. He could have suffered an electric shock. It's a dangerous world out there! But you persevered and made it all the way to the end. Next time we meet the drink's on me!

I don't know if it's too much to ask but.... could you post a picture of final triumphant bulbous machine?

Sorry for the delay. I'm sure you've been checking regularly for this post. Unfortunately I've been busy organising flights and accommodation for a trip to the UK, plus burying one of our dogs that died.

I've included one of the old bulb. I took it as it's easier to read the writing but you can see it's blown. The pictures in my original post were taken with my camera but these are from my phone so aren't as good. It's not easy taking pictures of lights that are on.

I'm wondering if a tour around the country showing off my skills is in order. Maybe not. I wouldn't want anyone attempting and failing at this based on my ability to make it look so easy.

20240313_095738.jpg

20240321_175240.jpg

20240321_182234.jpg

20240321_182206.jpg

Edited by kimamey
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/27/2024 at 12:38 PM, eisfeld said:

I had this thread on autorefresh and put it on the TV in the living room. Told everyone in the house if they noticed a change they were to tell me immediately. Not gonna lie it made falling asleep not as easy recently. But my heart was filled with joy today when I saw your latest report from the front.

You are way too modest. These pictures are nothing less than majestic. Jesus Christ himself would have been jealous of a ring of light as majestic as that. The second to last image has something... holy about it. It's as if it shined a light directly onto my soul. I feel truly blessed by having the chance of looking at it. I do worry though that riding your motorized vehicle on public roads might cause others to crash as their attentioned gets involuntarily drawn to your symbol of divinity.

Yes, a very well thought out consideration. You might inspire some kids when they see greatness but you might also gather jealousy when guys realize they'll never be able to rise to such a level of pure competence but have to whitness the panties dropping left and right. Remember: With great power comes great responsibility.

I don't know why, but I get the impression you're not taking this seriously

• Haha 2