British Man Arrested with Diazepam in Karon

webfact

image.jpeg

Karon – A British man was arrested after he was found illegally in possession of Diazepam in Karon.

The Karon Police told the Phuket Express that earlier this week they set up a routine checkpoint in front of the Nong Harn Lake. They stopped a taxi car, and a foreign man, who was later identified only as Mr. Thomas, 27, a British national who according to police looked suspicious as he waited inside the taxi.

Karon police did not specifically reveal what made Mr. Thomas look suspicious but The Phuket Express notes that random tests for drugs or illegal substances are legal in Thailand.

By Goongnang Suksawat

Full story: THE PHUKET EXPRESS 2024-03-13

- Discover how Cigna Insurance can protect you with a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment. For more information on expat health insurance click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Media Power

• Confused 2
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, ezzra said:

I didn't know that Diazepam is illegal in Thailand, a country where you can buy almost any drug over the counter...

It isn't, but it's only prescribed by hospitals. It's hard to tell if he was carrying a lot of it or he couldn't prove where it came from.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

26 minutes ago, ezzra said:

I didn't know that Diazepam is illegal in Thailand, a country where you can buy almost any drug over the counter...

Bad mistake 

Most of the blue 19mg  Diazapam you get is fake, and you would know if you had real 5mg from hospital. 

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, gargamon said:

From the linked article:

They searched him and found one Diazepam pill on him. 

Looks like it's time to get out of Thailand. This is out of control. 

Maybe over zealous cops, maybe sensationalism in the reporting, unsure. I'm pretty sure if I was going to carry diazepam on me, I'd also carry the hospital paperwork too, hospitals have advised me to do similar with much lesser well known medication, that's why they give it to you. 

• Like 1

As long as you have a prescription from the doctor you are fine. I’d piss purple in the test if I got pulled over. Guess I need to take pictures of my scripts to show them to hopefully ease the hassle by the MIB

1 hour ago, gargamon said:

From the linked article:

They searched him and found one Diazepam pill on him. 

Looks like it's time to get out of Thailand. This is out of control. 

Head East a bit further... 

2 hours ago, ezzra said:

I think them days have gone at least in Phuket we have two good friends and both are pharmacist with there own shops, A while ago I was in central shopping mall, I could not even buy asprin, 

• Haha 1

Random roadside drug test. Yikes. Diszapam isn't a drug you would use to get high or trip out... It simply calms you. But Ganga is fine. TIT 

Simply over the top. Again. 

• Confused 4
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Arrested for one pill for personal use. Such inane stupidity. The RTP will do absolutely anything in their power to avoid fighting crime. And nearly anything to earn cash. 99% likely they asked him for some cash, which he did not have, or he was not astute enough to offer them their "franchises fee". 

The deplorable RTP. Lock them up. 

"99% likely they asked him for some cash, "

Extremely unlikely ATM. They need to show arrests 

This is insane.

I go to my local government hospital about every 6 weeks, see a doctor, ask for 2 strips (20 tablets) of this medication, pay the medical bill, walk to the pharmacy, fill out a form with my address on it, collect medications, leave hospital.  All legal.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

It isn't, but it's only prescribed by hospitals. It's hard to tell if he was carrying a lot of it or he couldn't prove where it came from.

The FULL story says he was carrying one, why is is that hard to tell?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

The FULL story says he was carrying one, why is is that hard to tell?

But he originally had a strip of 10.  (According to the photo in the FULL story.) He had already taken (or sold) the others.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1