Man Killed in Fiery Car Crash in Pattaya on Motorway

webfact

1 hour ago, Georgealbert said:

No problem, gave me a little laugh.

But I think the new change is still wrong.

“The UK has 10x the number of road deaths that Thailand has”

I'm not having a good day, am I!:ermm:

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Woof999 said:

Thailand has an appalling road safety record compared to most countries. The training required to obtain a license is lacking, the enforcement of laws is almost non-existent, the upkeep of a significant percentage of vehicles is way below par and the road design is old fashioned (u-turns on many major roads forcing you to go from outside land to outside lane).

Nothing racist about those observations. Calling it out as being so is yet another hurdle in the way of actually doing anything about it.

like most foreigners you compleltely misread the signs of road safety.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, jacko45k said:

With the police seemingly having given up policing roads, pulling over speeders and other dangerous moves it surely will get worse. 

they didn't give up because they never even tried.

3 hours ago, transam said:

Could you expand on that, me being a farangy........?  :cowboy:

No because I already know from your response history that you don't understand the first thing about road safety.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

they didn't give up because they never even tried.

No, I would not say that. There used to be regular road blocks on The Railway Line Rd (under Hwy 7), 3rd Rd near Soi Xcite, and speed checks on Hwy 36. A pre-Covid distant memory now......

10 hours ago, kwilco said:

No because I already know from your response history that you don't understand the first thing about road safety.

That is a very, very lame excuse for you can't expand on your post...........:coffee1:............

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, transam said:

That is a very, very lame excuse for you can't expand on your post...........:coffee1:............

QED - I never said I couldn't I just said I wouldn't for you....for the reasons you've just confirmed 

Just now, kwilco said:

QED - I never said I couldn't I just said I wouldn't for you....for the reasons you've just confirmed 

Do you actually think you are only talking to me..............😂

Back up your claim.......😉

On 3/16/2024 at 9:32 AM, mikebell said:

Another triumph for Pattaya police's invisibility cloak.

You need to get some mental help. Every news story you make a comment about Pattaya police, you're clearly unhinged even if you don't realise it. In the UK and any other country it's impossible to cover every kilometre of the motorway and road system, why on earth you think it should be any different in Thailand points to some underlying mental problem you have. Get some help.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

22 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

I also know that such accidents happen everywhere. Here is an example from the UK, last month.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/woman-dead-car-crash-enfield-lea-valley-road-b1056024.html

A lot more accidents happen in Thailand, and a lot more people are killed or injured in them.

I see accidents daily on my commutes to work and through to Bangkok, something I rarely saw while living in the UK. 

We drive a lot around Thailand and it is without a doubt more dangerous here than back home in Aust. However, back home in Aust you are executed for failing to use a blinker (joke) - it has gone way too far in Aust and I am sure when they enforce a 10km speed limit they will say they have saved lives. The reality is that driving a vehicle at 80+ kph is inherently dangerous - giving people $500 fines for going 10kms over that arbitrary speed limit on a 4 lane divided highway is effin total BS.

IMO Thailand needs to do a few things - buit never do what it is like back in the west where there are speed cameras in every parked vehicle and driving a car is a nightmare of worry and constant watching of the speedo.  Thailand should implement Red light cameras, Random booze buses, and 'active' speeding patrols with vehicles out on the roads looking for those going 20-30+ over the speed limit (not those doing 5-10kms over). 

My last fine in Aust was on a road on the way back from the golf course in Qld. I was going 8kms over the limit - which was 80 kms on very safe and straight divided highway with no other cars around.  Those buggers were on that road for a week  - after that we saw them each time we went to/from golf that week. The very next week a stolen car speeding lost control and killed 3 people in another car on that exact same road.  Speeding cameras are revenue raisers - I know far more then most aboput that fact because I was involved in them starting way back. What was initiaily all about running red lights and speeding through intersections, quickly became an integral part of revenue raising and putting them out on the roads makes SFA difference but mnakes a lot of money. 

Edited by TroubleandGrumpy
  • Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, kinyara said:

You need to get some mental help. Every news story you make a comment about Pattaya police, you're clearly unhinged even if you don't realise it. In the UK and any other country it's impossible to cover every kilometre of the motorway and road system, why on earth you think it should be any different in Thailand points to some underlying mental problem you have. Get some help.

Looks like attack the messenger, not address the comment. 

21 hours ago, kinyara said:

I totally agree.  A Thai cop adjudged I was at fault whilst waiting to turn right when two tearaways ploughed into me at 90kph.  This cost me just short of 90K.  My then wife was extorted to the tune of 15K lest my visa became 'difficult'.  My S-i-L had her car stolen; family members made a citizens' arrest & I helped drive the miscreant + cop + accusers to Jomtien where a fat cop refused to do anything without a 10K sweetener ((I was in the room at the time.)  S-i-L continued to pay off her car loan for 4 more years despite having no car & the thief was never charged.  During the intervening years when Pattaya cops were to be seen milking the public on Sukhumvit, I was regularly stopped (on 60% of my journeys) for the offence of driving whilst in possession of a white face.  My favourite bar pays hush money for a 'music licence' despite having no sound system; I was present when the envelope (white not brown as is often reported;) was handed over. 

This has somewhat tarnished my view of the local Plod.

'The Only Thing Necessary for the Triumph of Evil is that Good Men Do Nothing'. Or say nothing.

• Confused 2

21 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

A lot more accidents happen in Thailand, and a lot more people are killed or injured in them.

I see accidents daily on my commutes to work and through to Bangkok, something I rarely saw while living in the UK. 

Sorry, why cherry pick my reply and not the full message, it makes my reply look out of context.

I have posted links to the accidents statistics in the UK and Thailand, already in this thread, and at no time have denied Thailand’s poor road safety record.

Are you saying that accidents don’t happen if you don’t see them. I have no idea about your daily commute or what type of accidents you witness, and to be truthful it means nothing, I like full facts and not just a limited perception.

About 80 % of accidents and casualties in Thailand involve motorbikes. You do realise that Thailand has over 22 million registered motorbikes, when the UK has about 1.34 million. Maybe that would be a good starting point when considering accident statistics.

• Like 1

On 3/18/2024 at 9:43 AM, Georgealbert said:

About 80 % of accidents and casualties in Thailand involve motorbikes. You do realise that Thailand has over 22 million registered motorbikes, when the UK has about 1.34 million. Maybe that would be a good starting point when considering accident statistics.

Statistics in the UK are properly collected and measured, this is not the case in Thailand where deaths in hospital, after an accident are not included. 

32 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Statistics in the UK are properly collected and measured, this is not the case in Thailand where deaths in hospital, after an accident are not included. 

So cherry picking only parts of my post again. The part you picked,

“About 80 % of accidents and casualties in Thailand involve motorbikes. You do realise that Thailand has over 22 million registered motorbikes, when the UK has about 1.34 million. Maybe that would be a good starting point when considering accident statistics.”

Please explain how the way Thailand records road deaths would in any way affect the fact that about 80% of accidents in Thailand involve motorbikes and the facts about how many registered motorbikes are in each country? On your daily commute you most see more motorbikes in Thailand than you did in the UK..

The link I posted before to the ThaiRSC , and repost below, uses data complied from the following sources, “Accident Notification Center, Car Accident Victims Protection Company Limited, and Notification Network”

https://www.thairsc.com

Edited by Georgealbert

2 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Link please.

Seen this claim so many times on AN but nobody has EVER provided a link to show this is the case, so until that happens it remains an AN bar stool myth.

Thought it might be fun to ask ChatGPT for what it's worth: How are Thai official road death statistics collected?

Thai road death statistics are collected through various means, primarily by government agencies such as the Royal Thai Police and the Department of Land Transport. Here's an overview of the process:

1. Police Reports: When accidents occur on Thai roads, the Royal Thai Police are typically the first responders. They file accident reports detailing the circumstances of the accident, including the number of fatalities, injuries, vehicles involved, and other relevant information. These reports form the basis of official statistics.

2. Hospital Records: Hospitals and medical facilities also play a role in collecting data on road deaths. They maintain records of individuals admitted due to road accidents, including those who succumb to their injuries. This data is often shared with government agencies for statistical purposes.

3. Death Certificates: When someone dies as a result of a road accident, a death certificate is issued. These certificates provide essential information about the cause of death, which contributes to the overall road death statistics.

4. Surveys and Studies: In addition to official records, various surveys and studies may be conducted to gather more detailed information about road accidents and fatalities. These studies may involve interviewing witnesses, analyzing crash scenes, and collecting other relevant data.

5. Government Databases: The collected data from police reports, hospital records, and death certificates are compiled into comprehensive databases maintained by government agencies such as the Department of Land Transport. These databases are regularly updated and analyzed to generate reports and statistics on road deaths.

6. Public Reporting Systems: In recent years, there has been an increased emphasis on public reporting systems where citizens can report accidents and road hazards directly to authorities or through mobile applications. These reports contribute to real-time monitoring of road safety and may influence policy decisions.

Overall, the collection of Thai road death statistics involves a combination of official reporting systems, medical records, and data analysis to provide a comprehensive understanding of road safety issues in the country.

I then asked it to clarify that this is in Thailand:

Yes, in Thailand, people who die in hospitals as a result of injuries sustained in road accidents are typically included in official road death figures. The process involves hospitals reporting fatalities resulting from road accidents to government agencies or relevant authorities, who then record these deaths and add them to the overall statistics on road fatalities.

Thailand, like many other countries, follows a comprehensive approach to collecting road death statistics to accurately reflect the impact of road accidents on public health and safety. This approach helps in identifying trends, implementing interventions, and formulating policies aimed at reducing road fatalities. Therefore, both fatalities that occur at the scene of the accident and those that happen later in hospitals are usually included in official road death figures in Thailand.

• Agree 1