Man Killed in Fiery Car Crash in Pattaya on Motorway

webfact

image.jpeg

Pattaya —A car crashed into a street barrier on the Bangkok-Map Ta Phut Motorway near Pattaya before bursting into flames. The driver was tragically burned to death, said law enforcement.

The incident occurred at around 5:40 AM on Friday, March 15th, 2024, near kilometer marker 120+700 in the Nongprue sub-district, Banglamung district, Chonburi province. The Sawang Boriboon Thammasathan Pattaya Rescue Unit and the Highway Rescue Unit responded to the accident upon receiving the report.

Upon arrival, authorities found a Honda HRV sedan engulfed in flames. Firefighters extinguished the blaze after nearly 20 minutes, but the vehicle was extensively damaged. A badly burned, unidentified male body was found deceased inside the car.

By Aim Tanakorn

Full story: THE PATTAYA NEWS 2024-03-16

- Discover how Cigna Insurance can protect you with a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment. For more information on expat health insurance click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

1000x500-3.png

• Sad 3

RIP, the driver, not a nice way to go.

Popcorn time, as this seems to be an hybrid, petrol engine and electric motors.

This will get the tin foil hatters, out with their EVs conspiracies, but will ignore the fact that the car crashed at speed into a concrete barrier.

IMG_2277.jpeg

• Confused 2

42 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

With the police seemingly having given up policing roads, pulling over speeders and other dangerous moves it surely will get worse. 

Ahhh, in order to give up, one must have started in the first place!

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, 2baht said:

Ahhh, in order to give up, one must have started in the first place!

They used to some years ago....road checks, speed traps etc, 

• Haha 1

Driver was reported to be alive and trapped when the fire started, not pleasant.

In the past driver died from these sorts of impacts.

Modern cars have a lot better survivability rate, due to kinetic impact/ crush zones. These zones protect the driver but often require rescue services intervention to release the trapped driver.

Most manufacturers produce guidance for rescue services. Attached is the guidance for similar car Honda CR-V

https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/web/AER14177.pdf

1 hour ago, mikebell said:

Another triumph for Pattaya police's invisibility cloak.

Sorry but don’t believe this was in the Pattaya Police area, probably under Nong Prue Police.

But don’t let facts get in the way of your daily Thai bashing.

Edited by Georgealbert
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

RIP, the driver, not a nice way to go.

Popcorn time, as this seems to be an hybrid, petrol engine and electric motors.

This will get the tin foil hatters, out with their EVs conspiracies, but will ignore the fact that the car crashed at speed into a concrete barrier.

IMG_2277.jpeg

Thailand needs self driving cars.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, flyingtlger said:

I read that approximately 40 deaths per day in Thailand.

Unfortunately these accidents have become regular everyday news now....

Yes idiots killing themselves or others.

4 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

Don’t blame the car, just another piece of poor driving

You bash another for Thai bashing but you seem to have no difficulty assigning blame without a single shred of evidence about what actually happened.

15 minutes ago, dddave said:

You bash another for Thai bashing but you seem to have no difficulty assigning blame without a single shred of evidence about what actually happened.

How do you know what evidence I have of this incident? There are far better sources available than AN, Thai news sites have a lot better information and witness reports.

I am critical of the driver, involved in a single vehicle accident, or do you think the concrete barrier ran out in front of him? 

I was not Thai bashing, which seems to be the favourite pastime, of the poster I replied to. In fact the report only states “A badly burned, unidentified male body was found deceased inside the car” no nationality given.

I also know that such accidents happen everywhere. Here is an example from the UK, last month.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/woman-dead-car-crash-enfield-lea-valley-road-b1056024.html

7 hours ago, jacko45k said:

With the police seemingly having given up policing roads, pulling over speeders and other dangerous moves it surely will get worse. 

Police just mop-up the accident scene... there seems to be very little in the way of preventative measures.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Thailand has 10x the number of road deaths that Thailand has, with the same population numbers. So the comparison isn't valid.

I have a long straight road outside my house, and in the 10 years I've been there I've lost count of the number of accidents. It's 20+, involving death, amputations, a car actually flying through the top of a tree, involving cars, pickups, motorcycles, vans, 10-wheelers, 18-wheelers. Many Thais do not have the skill or mental ability or attention span to drive safely.

Think you are comparing Thailand with UK, and just a typing error.

Not commenting on your own experience, but the main difference between UK and Thailand is the amount of accidents/deaths and injuries involving motorbikes in Thailand and the UK has more involving pushbikes. 

I have experience of bad driving in the UK, Thailand, Middle East, Laos and Indonesia, and have found that the end result is always the same. Poor driving, lacking attention, drink/drug driving, speeding, poor road design and not driving to the conditions, leads to death and injuries.

Here are links to 2023 UK road accident statistics and current Thai daily data.

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/reported-road-casualties-in-great-britain-provisional-estimates-year-ending-june-2023/reported-road-casualties-in-great-britain-provisional-estimates-year-ending-june-2023#:~:text=Headline figures,-Chart 1 shows&text=In reported road collisions in,the year ending June 2022

https://www.thairsc.com/

Edited by Georgealbert

13 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Thanks. Corrected.

No problem, gave me a little laugh.

But I think the new change is still wrong.

“The UK has 10x the number of road deaths that Thailand has”

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

Sorry but don’t believe this was in the Pattaya Police area, probably under Nong Prue Police.

But don’t let facts get in the way of your daily Thai bashing.

Neither its the responsibility of the Highway police.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

The UK has 10x the number of road deaths that Thailand has, with the same population numbers. So the comparison isn't valid.

THis is an incorrect statement - road safety, like gravity is a world constant how countries deal with it is very much worth comparing.

Saying it is "just Thai drivers" - is an incorrect racist point of view.

16 minutes ago, kwilco said:

THis is an incorrect statement - road safety, like gravity is a world constant how countries deal with it is very much worth comparing.

Saying it is "just Thai drivers" - is an incorrect racist point of view.

Thailand has an appalling road safety record compared to most countries. The training required to obtain a license is lacking, the enforcement of laws is almost non-existent, the upkeep of a significant percentage of vehicles is way below par and the road design is old fashioned (u-turns on many major roads forcing you to go from outside land to outside lane).

Nothing racist about those observations. Calling it out as being so is yet another hurdle in the way of actually doing anything about it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1