Golden getaway: Thai woman swipes Chinese man’s credit cards in Pattaya

webfact

image.jpeg

A Thai woman is on the run after stealing credit cards from a Chinese man to buy two gold necklaces valued at about 33,000 baht from a gold shop in Pattaya.

Bang Lamung Police Station told Channel 8 that the 33 year old Chinese man, Dihui Wu Dihui, reported the theft of his credit cards to the police via a phone call on the afternoon of March 13. He explained that a Thai woman, whose identity he did not know, stole his credit cards while he was sleeping.

The Chinese man disclosed that he had met the woman on a dating application while he was in Bangkok. A week before the incident, they were travelling together in Pattaya and stayed at a hotel in Soi Khao Talo.

According to the Chinese man, he woke up on March 13 to see that the woman disappeared from his hotel room. Then, he received two messages from his banks on his mobile phone informing him that his credit cards had been used to buy gold necklaces worth 32,815 baht.

Thai police officer Sornsuphan Audthonsri-anan reported that he did not understand Dihui’s complaint due to the language barrier. So, they requested Dihui to meet them at the police station later, providing a Chinese interpreter. However, Dihui did not appear at the scheduled time.

According to the Facebook page, Esor New, the Thai thief remains at large, evading capture. The page alleges that Dihui wasn’t the initial target of this woman. She has been running a romance scam through a dating application for a while now, frequently altering her name and profile on the app to ensnare fresh victims.

Thai netizens questioned why the gold shop approved the sales despite the differences in the woman’s signatures and names on the cards.

Channel 8 reported that the owner of the gold shop refused to give an interview with the media. However, in a brief conversation, it was revealed that the woman used two credit cards to buy two gold necklaces until the credit limit was reached.

The owner added that she allowed the woman to buy the products because there were no names or signatures of the cardholders on the back of the cards.

Bang Lamung Police Station officers did not disclose the next steps of the investigation to the public.

by Petch Petpailin

Photo via Facebook/ อีซ้อขยี้ข่าว

Source: The Thaiger 2024-03-18

- Discover how Cigna Insurance can protect you with a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment. For more information on expat health insurance click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

1000x500-3.png

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Korat Kiwi said:

No names on the back of the cards?  What were they erased by someone? 

Any excuse to get a sale huh? 

Cards are always risky,if not locked in a safe.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Cards are always risky,if not locked in a safe.

Agreed,  doubly so if he was 'entertaining'  this slapper for the night. 

Years ago when I was single and visited this country,  the first thing on arrival back to the room was to secure passport, cash and credit/debit card into the safe. 

Always best safe than sorry 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Channel 8 reported that the owner of the gold shop refused to give an interview with the media. However, in a brief conversation, it was revealed that the woman used two credit cards to buy two gold necklaces until the credit limit was reached.

The owner added that she allowed the woman to buy the products because there were no names or signatures of the cardholders on the back of the cards.

Well the owner will soon discover the concept of chargebacks and she'll be two gold necklaces poorer. She failed to do the necessary security checks and will pay for it.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, eisfeld said:

Well the owner will soon discover the concept of chargebacks and she'll be two gold necklaces poorer. She failed to do the necessary security checks and will pay for it.

Not sure that works so well in Thailand, or whether Chinese cards support it. I have noticed on the slip one signs after using it 'No Refunds' is frequently written. 

19 hours ago, webfact said:

Thai netizens questioned why the gold shop approved the sales despite the differences in the woman’s signatures and names on the cards.

A sale is a sale... Thais don't ask questions.

• Agree 1

Credit cards should require a pin entry at purchase for security.  If the seller doesn't ask for a pin, then they should be out on the fraudulent purchase.

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Not sure that works so well in Thailand, or whether Chinese cards support it. I have noticed on the slip one signs after using it 'No Refunds' is frequently written. 

When I came to Thailand, more than 2 decades ago, I went to The Mall to buy some mfurniture and home utensils.
Paid my bill with my Visa card on a "swiping" device and all was settled.
Until I received my monthly statement of VISA and several amounts were listed to be baught in Russia and other contries I never visited.
Wrote a complaint to VISA and the OmbudsMan and had the odd payments fully returned without discussion.

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

A chargeback is different from a refund. A refund is a voluntary action by the merchant. A chargeback is a forced action by the network and issuer. All debit or credit cards support it because fraud does happen and they need a way to combat it. Also the guy didn't sign anything.

19 hours ago, Confuscious said:

When I came to Thailand, more than 2 decades ago, I went to The Mall to buy some mfurniture and home utensils.
Paid my bill with my Visa card on a "swiping" device and all was settled.
Until I received my monthly statement of VISA and several amounts were listed to be baught in Russia and other contries I never visited.
Wrote a complaint to VISA and the OmbudsMan and had the odd payments fully returned without discussion.

I think that happening is worry enough. I did pay a bill on my Thai CC at a local car dealers for a service and repair, and they insisted on a 5% surcharge for using a CC. I complained to the bank, who issued me the card and it went nowhere.