Warning Issued to Protect Sea Fans in Trang

53690228fcf7fc0ce3b88b09ed185e6e.jpg

BANGKOK (NNT) - The Department of Marine and Coastal Resources has issued a cautionary advisory to tourists visiting Koh Sukorn in the Trang province, urging them to avoid disturbing the large red "sea fan" corals that have become exposed due to unusually low sea levels. These sea fans, known for their intricate beauty and ecological importance, play a crucial role in the marine ecosystem by providing shelter for smaller aquatic creatures and aiding in the filtration of plankton.

The department, through a statement on social media, elaborated on the delicate nature of these corals, explaining that sea fans are living organisms that can take over a century to fully grow. Given their slow growth rate and the critical habitat they provide, any form of disruption, whether through touching, trampling, or the dispersal of sediment, can have detrimental effects on their well-being and, consequently, on the broader marine environment.

The vulnerability of sea fans has been exacerbated by their popularity for use in decorations, accessories, and even in traditional Chinese medicine, leading to increased risks of damage and exploitation. 

To combat this, Thailand has included sea fans in its Wildlife Conservation and Protection Act, categorically banning the possession, trade, or smuggling of these corals. The legislation stipulates severe penalties for those found in violation, including prison sentences of up to ten years and fines of up to 1 million baht for smuggling or trading activities. Those caught in possession of sea fans without appropriate authorization face up to four years in prison and fines of 500,000 baht.

By Krajangwit Johjit

Source: NNT 2024-03-18

- Discover how Cigna Insurance can protect you with a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment. For more information on expat health insurance click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

1000x500-3.png

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Those caught in possession of sea fans without appropriate authorization face up to four years in prison and fines of 500,000 baht.

I have found and collected quite a few that I found dead on the beach . ( The local fishermen throw their nets sometimes much too close to the corals . )

I guess I have to throw it all now ...?

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The Department of Marine and Coastal Resources has issued a cautionary advisory to tourists visiting Koh Sukorn in the Trang province, urging them to avoid disturbing the large red "sea fan" corals that have become exposed due to unusually low sea levels

Now out of the water I wonder if they'll filter PM2.5