Thoughts on car? Chevrolet

20 hours ago, Madgee said:

My neighbour swapped his 2010 Vios with 240k km,  for a 2011 Captiva with 110k km, which has turned out to be a lemon.
Things keep breaking on it, the seat adjuster, tailgate lock mechanism, door mirror adjuster etc. Ordering parts has been a nightmare for him.
10 weeks wait for an oil seal, something to do with a transmission rebuild following an oil leak. (It's still got a slight oil leak!)
Now it's in for starter motor problems after a breakdown, 3 weeks and counting. All the work is being done by an authorised Chevvy garage. I picked him up last time it was towed there and the adjacent field was full of older Chevvies (many Captivas) apparently waiting for parts. 
Just saying .......

To be fair, the parts issues you mention are more likely to be down to the repairer.  As I said in an earlier post, I've been amazed at the stock of Chevrolet parts that GM Autoparts in Bangkok have.  I wouldn't say that engine mountings and a gear lever are commonly ordered parts yet they had them in stock and I collected them the next day.  My Chevrolet is not a Captiva but so far, I've found that Chevrolet's promise to make spares available for at least 10 years after quitting Thailand is factual.

The starter motor in particular is one that is used on several models and probably different brands too. Chevrolet, like all car manufacturers, don't make starter motors, they buy them in.  One for a Captiva is almost certainly also available from an after-market autoparts stockist.

I'm currently in the UK and just did a search on Ebay where plenty of starter motors are available for around 6000 baht.  I don't expect the situation in Thailand to be any different and probably much cheaper.

There is absolutley no reason why your friend's car should be off the road because of a faulty starter.  Tell him to change repairers.

2 hours ago, HauptmannUK said:

1. The link you provide relates to provision of SERVICE parts by ACDelco.  Obtaining service parts will not be a problem. The issue will be obtaining slow-moving non-service parts because there is almost no profit in them so no incentive to hold stock. This can be a challenge for vehicles that have an active dealer network, let alone one without any dealers....

AC Delco are owned by GM - Chevolet is a GM brand.  GP Autoparts sell both AC Delco and specific Chevrolet branded parts.  They are Chevrolet's official parts stockist in Thailand and as I've stated a few times, I've not had a probelm obtaining anything I've ordered from them and the parts I've ordered could hardly be described as 'service parts'.

So far I've ordered:

1 x Gearlever complete (auto)

1 x Upper L/H engine mounting

1 x Upper R/H engine mounting

1 x Lower engine stabiliser

1 x Set, radiator cowlings

All parts were available ex stock immediately.  The engine mountings and a kit to repair the gear lever were also available as after-market parts should I have chosen to go down that route.

Edited by MangoKorat

1 hour ago, MangoKorat said:

To be fair, the parts issues you mention are more likely to be down to the repairer.  As I said in an earlier post, I've been amazed at the stock of Chevrolet parts that GM Autoparts in Bangkok have.  I wouldn't say that engine mountings and a gear lever are commonly ordered parts yet they had them in stock and I collected them the next day.  My Chevrolet is not a Captiva but so far, I've found that Chevrolet's promise to make spares available for at least 10 years after quitting Thailand is factual.

The starter motor in particular is one that is used on several models and probably different brands too. Chevrolet, like all car manufacturers, don't make starter motors, they buy them in.  One for a Captiva is almost certainly also available from an after-market autoparts stockist.

I'm currently in the UK and just did a search on Ebay where plenty of starter motors are available for around 6000 baht.  I don't expect the situation in Thailand to be any different and probably much cheaper.

There is absolutley no reason why your friend's car should be off the road because of a faulty starter.  Tell him to change repairers.

I totally agree with you. Out of curiosity, I also sourced some of the parts he mentioned on Lazada. I've recommended a local repair shop to him but he insists on using a Chevvy approved garage.  

On 3/20/2024 at 2:47 AM, gargamon said:

It's a Chevrolet. One of the worst American manufactures, ahead of Chrysler though. Don't waste your time. Buy a used Toyota instead. 

I think you're refering to US cars in the main.  GM have applied the Chevrolet badge to several brands that they bought. Some brands/models are terrible some are OK.  BMW are regarded by many as a quality brand but you wouldn't accept that if you bought a 2007 to 2012 2.0 diesel  engined BM with the single cam chain engine that disintegrated.  You might also be an unhappy chappy if you'd bought one of their Mini's that have been afflicted with serious engine faults and electric power steering that packed up.

I have a Sonic 1.4 non turbo hatchback and its fine. I've driven Toyota's equivalent, the Yaris and I wasn't impressed especially as they cost at least 50,000 more (secondhand).  GM pulling out of Thailand lead to some scaremongery on parts which has in turn lead to lower values across the range. Some real bargains can be had - depending on the model.

The Captiva has a pretty bad reputation but Colorado's and Trailblazers shared a lot of parts with Isuzus - they're pretty decent and as I say, I'm very happy with my Sonic.

GM may sell under one brand name in some countries but use a different brand name in another.  The cars they make in the US may not be any good (no idea on that) but quite a few of the other brands/models they sell are fine.

I have a Peugeot Van in the UK that is actually made by Fiat and has a Ford engine. My Citroen (UK) is also branded as a Peugeot and a Toyota - its actually made at a Toyota factory in The Czech Republic. Peugeot, Citroen and Vauxhall (GM) share the same floorpan and engine and some other parts in many versions of their 208 model.

Manufacturers are sharing all sorts of parts these days - its not really possible to state one brand is good or bad.

Edited by MangoKorat
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, MangoKorat said:

AC Delco are owned by GM - Chevolet is a GM brand.  GP Autoparts sell both AC Delco and specific Chevrolet branded parts.  They are Chevrolet's official parts stockist in Thailand and as I've stated a few times, I've not had a probelm obtaining anything I've ordered from them and the parts I've ordered could hardly be described as 'service parts'.

So far I've ordered:

1 x Gearlever complete (auto)

1 x Upper L/H engine mounting

1 x Upper R/H engine mounting

1 x Lower engine stabiliser

1 x Set, radiator cowlings

All parts were available ex stock immediately.  The engine mountings and a kit to repair the gear lever were also available as after-market parts should I have chosen to go down that route.

You do sound very well versed in ordering parts for a Chevrolet and what is available and also in where to have them serviced and repaired.  I guess you kind of need to be if you are driving around a Chevrolet and/or other US engineered cars.  I'll just stick with Hondas and Toyotas.  A much better line of automobiles.  

1 hour ago, Hanuman2547 said:

You do sound very well versed in ordering parts for a Chevrolet and what is available and also in where to have them serviced and repaired.  I guess you kind of need to be if you are driving around a Chevrolet and/or other US engineered cars.  I'll just stick with Hondas and Toyotas.  A much better line of automobiles.  

Its not difficult.  I didn't own a Chevrolet when they pulled out of Thailand but I remember reading on here (then ThaiVisa) that they had stated they would guarantee the provision of spare parts for at least 10 years.  I simply did a Google search and found GP Auto Parts very easily.  The Sonic by the way, is not US engineered.

Both Honda and Toyota have generally good reputations for quality but they are not perfect.  Toyota for example have had several recalls in recent years for airbag problems. Both Honda and Toyota have had problems with their CVT transmission systems.

I think the decision on which brand to buy when looking at secondhand cars should also take account of the price.  What would usually be a reliable car can depend a lot on whether its been serviced correctly or not and Thai people are not particularly known for servicing their cars (although I think that situation is improving).  When I bought my Sonic, alternative brands such as Toyota were commanding 50-80,000 baht more and that gap has now widened considerably in some cases a comparible Toyota model is now more than double.  There's no guarantee with any brand that the claimed service history is correct.  I would not be at all happy to pay 250-300,000 for a 10 year old Yaris for example but that's the price range many are asking.

I guess I'm lucky, I'm an ex mechanic, although I'm not up to date with all the electrickery on up to date cars, I can usually spot a lemon or a car that's been poorly serviced.

17 hours ago, Madgee said:

I've recommended a local repair shop to him but he insists on using a Chevvy approved garage.  

Ahh the 'Main Dealer' myth.  The best mechanics normally start their own businesses.  When I was at college, just about all the 'useless' students worked at Main Dealers.

Also, as Main Dealers are more expensive, people tend to go to independents when cars are older - therefore Main Dealers often don't come across some of the faults that can develop on older cars. In general, independents have a much broader experience and are likely to diagnose a fault faster.

As with the cars themselves, there are good and bad repairers of all types but I'd pitch a good independent against a Main Dealer any day of the week.

Most of the recent truck based models like the trailblazer use most of the parts common with Isuzu, so should be of no issue

Earlier Daewoo-based sedan models like Optra or Cruze also has plenty of parts and 3rd party parts in the market

Only problem seem to be the latest model Captiva 2019 that was introduced as soon as they announce the exit from market, these were heavily discounted in a firesale, but being based on MG/Chinese Baojun; parts from the usual channels are hard to come by but some manage to order them from China via AliExpress of even get them through the MG dealer in Thailand 

Its  not  called the Craptiva for nothing. I own 2  chevrolets but I do all my  own servicing, dealers Ive used mostly useless and Chevrolet HQ even more useless. I bought the secon d one when they left Thailand reduced from 799k to 529k new, no issues with reliability but thats Colorado.

Parts  still ok to get . Personally Id  choose  something else OR make a real low  ball  offer, I mean REALLY  LOW.

On 3/21/2024 at 3:28 PM, MangoKorat said:

I think you're refering to US cars in the main.  GM have applied the Chevrolet badge to several brands that they bought. Some brands/models are terrible some are OK.  BMW are regarded by many as a quality brand but you wouldn't accept that if you bought a 2007 to 2012 2.0 diesel  engined BM with the single cam chain engine that disintegrated.  You might also be an unhappy chappy if you'd bought one of their Mini's that have been afflicted with serious engine faults and electric power steering that packed up.

I have a Sonic 1.4 non turbo hatchback and its fine. I've driven Toyota's equivalent, the Yaris and I wasn't impressed especially as they cost at least 50,000 more (secondhand).  GM pulling out of Thailand lead to some scaremongery on parts which has in turn lead to lower values across the range. Some real bargains can be had - depending on the model.

The Captiva has a pretty bad reputation but Colorado's and Trailblazers shared a lot of parts with Isuzus - they're pretty decent and as I say, I'm very happy with my Sonic.

GM may sell under one brand name in some countries but use a different brand name in another.  The cars they make in the US may not be any good (no idea on that) but quite a few of the other brands/models they sell are fine.

I have a Peugeot Van in the UK that is actually made by Fiat and has a Ford engine. My Citroen (UK) is also branded as a Peugeot and a Toyota - its actually made at a Toyota factory in The Czech Republic. Peugeot, Citroen and Vauxhall (GM) share the same floorpan and engine and some other parts in many versions of their 208 model.

Manufacturers are sharing all sorts of parts these days - its not really possible to state one brand is good or bad.

Also the Chinese  now  make the Colorado under licence I guess  so body panels and other parts are   available , they even do an electric  model based on the 2015 colorado.

the timing belt snapped on my chev optra last week...... the car was about 12 years old..... i sold it to the garage for 7,000 baht

250,000 is a crazy price......  that is what i paid for the optra 8 years ago

10 minutes ago, UKJASE said:

the timing belt snapped on my chev optra last week...... the car was about 12 years old..... i sold it to the garage for 7,000 baht

250,000 is a crazy price......  that is what i paid for the optra 8 years ago

You ignored the belt replacement period......?    🤔

On 3/20/2024 at 8:43 AM, Madgee said:

My neighbour swapped his 2010 Vios with 240k km,  for a 2011 Captiva with 110k km, which has turned out to be a lemon.
Things keep breaking on it, the seat adjuster, tailgate lock mechanism, door mirror adjuster etc. Ordering parts has been a nightmare for him.
10 weeks wait for an oil seal, something to do with a transmission rebuild following an oil leak. (It's still got a slight oil leak!)
Now it's in for starter motor problems after a breakdown, 3 weeks and counting. All the work is being done by an authorised Chevvy garage. I picked him up last time it was towed there and the adjacent field was full of older Chevvies (many Captivas) apparently waiting for parts. 
Just saying .......

Captiva 💩