Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Everything i need to know about buying a car in Bangkok

Hello all, looking for some assistance to buying a second hand car in Bangkok.

We have spent a year using the BTS/MRT/Taxis but now we must make a change - our walk commute to school, work, and to the BTS is so horrifically polluted by other vehicles that we must simply get in a vehicle to get out of the pollution (how about that for world class irony).Taxi's (including Grab) mess around with fares, not wanting to come near our condo so they are a waste of time, and some convenience. 

Now what's peoples experience in driving in Bangkok. I am fully aware traffic is a nightmare during peak hours, we intend just to use for work and schooling commutes. 

I have my international driving license permit. 

I am looking to buy a car that is 2-3 years old, that won't fall apart as we leave the dealership. 

Are their dealerships that you can recommend in Bangkok that will also offer some warranty scheme?

How does one go about getting car insurance? Do you also need a yearly MOT / Service in Thailand ?

Will driving here effect my travel insurance ? If so, i will look into a new policy. 

17 minutes ago, JoeyMac said:

Which is only valid for a relatively short time - 6 months I think.  You will need to get a Thai driving licence (which is very easy to do).

18 minutes ago, JoeyMac said:

How does one go about getting car insurance? Do you also need a yearly MOT / Service in Thailand ?

Car insurance is easy, many providers, can buy online.  "MOT"  depends on the age of vehicle, 7 years it kicks in I think, but you do need yearly tax (easy also)  Service? No problem, many dealers and independent garages for that.

23 minutes ago, JoeyMac said:

Will driving here effect my travel insurance ? If so, i will look into a new policy. 

Should not be a problem if you are driving legally, but "Travel Insurance"?  Doesn't sound like you are "travelling"?

• Agree 1

58 minutes ago, JoeyMac said:

Hello all, looking for some assistance to buying a second hand car in Bangkok.

We have spent a year using the BTS/MRT/Taxis but now we must make a change - our walk commute to school, work, and to the BTS is so horrifically polluted by other vehicles that we must simply get in a vehicle to get out of the pollution (how about that for world class irony).Taxi's (including Grab) mess around with fares, not wanting to come near our condo so they are a waste of time, and some convenience. 

Now what's peoples experience in driving in Bangkok. I am fully aware traffic is a nightmare during peak hours, we intend just to use for work and schooling commutes. 

I am looking to buy a car that is 2-3 years old, that won't fall apart as we leave the dealership. 

Are their dealerships that you can recommend in Bangkok that will also offer some warranty scheme?

As the other poster said, MOTs only required if the car is older than seven years.

As the other poster also said, you'll need a Thai license but easy to convert an international one to a Thai one, just a few steps to go through.

On buying a second hand car I would say ONLY buy from certified manufacturer dealerships - most brands have them and you will get a vehicle that has been comprehensively checked and will have a warranty.  Just Google for certified used cars from the brand you like and you will most likely find the right place.

Second hand car "tents" are not trustworthy at all, steer clear unless you really know your cars.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, JoeyMac said:

Dealerships have second hand programs and are probably the best bet for assurance, although you'll likely pay more for that.

That said, many 2-3 year old cars are already carrying warranty.

Very simple...  contact a broker (plenty around) the dealership can help you with that. 

People on here (me included can PM you with a useful brokers contact details). 

MOT - equivalent, not for the first 7 years. 

Tax is yearly renewable along with compulsory government insurance). 

Its wise to also get 1st class insurance (through a broker or the dealership).

You are living here and working here - your travel insurance is already void. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Thumbs Up 1

1. Up to 90 days in Thailand you can use home country license+IDP. You should get a Thai license after 90 days.

2. For car insurance there are many brokers. Roojai is a popular online broker (Thai + English website). Class 1 is the most comprehensive level of cover. Try to choose a policy with the highest level of third party cover (probably ฿5M). Thai insurance is often a bit lacking on coverage. Ask for the basic compulsory insurance to be included as well.

3. Yearly road tax needs to be purchased - cost depends on the specification of the car. I usually buy at a vehicle testing station (they are all over the place - have a gear-wheel sign outside) or you can buy at DLT office or some post offices, shopping malls etc.  They need to see valid insurance and your vehicle registration book. They will give you a square tax sticker for the windscreen.

4. Vehicles over seven years old need an annual basic roadworthiness check at a testing station.

5. Up to expiration of car warranty (typically 3 years) its best to have services done at a franchised dealer for your brand of car. 

6. Consumer protection is rather poor in Thailand so dodgy dealers abound. Some brands have 'Approved Used' schemes (e.g. Toyota's ToyotaSure), but prices can be high.  Last year I helped a friend buy a car from an outfit called Cars24 (www.cars24.co.th) at Lat Krabang. Not the cheapest place but they had a good selection of cars and those that I inspected were straight.

7. For cheap commuting in Bangkok get yourself a 'Bobby Basic' Jap car - European cars are trouble in Thailand. Avoid anything with a turbo'd three-cylinder engine (that's basically Ford Ecoboost and Nissan 1.0T and Honda 1.0T).

• Thumbs Up 2

On 3/19/2024 at 4:51 PM, JoeyMac said:

Second hand car are (often too) expensive in Thailand. It's better to buy a new with full warranty, if you worry about quality; it will keep a good price for a number of years.