Is life worth living without helping others?

3 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Better to give than receive?

I'm don't think so GG 

I have been listening to YouTube videos on *how to be more selfish "

Im done with helping others sorry to say 

IMHO....

I am sure you are not correct....Sir.....

Even the Neanderthals were social animals.

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Mostly, NO.

Mostly yes.

I stand ( actually sit ) before you to state that I regret becoming a nurse "to help others in society". I was muggins #1 to think it was a good idea.

Seemed like a good idea at the time- become one of the lovely people that work together for the benefit of humanity- LOL, the laugh is on me. What awaited was bullying from managers, indifference from colleagues and abuse from the patients and relatives/ visitors.

All that and for measly pay that does not reflect the worth of nurses in any way.

Following my early retirement to save what was left of my sanity, I was exploited and robbed by my "friends" that I helped greatly, disrespected by my wife that I helped in so many ways and had my property stolen by her family.

Even then I had not learned the lesson, but helped someone out by allowing them to pay me for an expensive item by installment, only to have them pay me nothing, while smoking and drinking large ( karma got him though when he killed himself on his motorbike by driving like a maniac, and I was able to retrieve the item in question- never again will I not demand full payment up front ).

I'll help my family, and do small things that do not have a monetary component for others, but nothing like I used to.

Took me a long time to learn the lesson, but eventually I did.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 2

8 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Mostly yes.

I stand ( actually sit ) before you to state that I regret becoming a nurse "to help others in society". I was muggins #1 to think it was a good idea.

Seemed like a good idea at the time- become one of the lovely people that work together for the benefit of humanity- LOL, the laugh is on me. What awaited was bullying from managers, indifference from colleagues and abuse from the patients and relatives/ visitors.

All that and for measly pay that does not reflect the worth of nurses in any way.

Following my early retirement to save what was left of my sanity, I was exploited and robbed by my "friends" that I helped greatly, disrespected by my wife that I helped in so many ways and had my property stolen by her family.

Even then I had not learned the lesson, but helped someone out by allowing them to pay me for an expensive item by installment, only to have them pay me nothing, while smoking and drinking large ( karma got him though when he killed himself on his motorbike by driving like a maniac, and I was able to retrieve the item in question- never again will I not demand full payment up front ).

I'll help my family, and do small things that do not have a monetary component for others, but nothing like I used to.

I will help others.

it's worth it.....

To me.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

waited was bullying from managers, indifference from colleagues and abuse from the patients and relatives/ visitors.

Strangely you say that 

I cast my mind back to 1998 when I worked as a Wardsman at one of Australia 's biggest hospital 

My direct supervisor was a raging gay guy who liked to walk with a limp wrist ,he was called a NUM which was the nursing unit manager,he was in his 50's then .

Nasty man who used to love to cause problems and cause rumours

I hope he is dead now 

I am not a Baboon ,I have not got a red arse , OK you want to help others,

I could do with a loan of !0,000 Baht ,will repay honestly ,want to help ?,

.....thought not , 

regards Worgeordie

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Mostly yes.

Everyone is selfish. Only a matter of degrees.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Better to give than receive?

I'm don't think so GG 

I have been listening to YouTube videos on *how to be more selfish "

Im done with helping others sorry to say 

These are your words a few days ago......

•  
  •  
    •  
  •  
  • Popular Post
Posted March 14 (edited)

The last few weeks I have gone this "phase" of wanting to be a caring ear and help people with emotional problems.................................................................................. Mood swings are a big symptom of depression, so it might be a good idea to look for help in this.

Edited by fredwiggy

44 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

•  
  •  
    •  
  •  
  • Popular Post
Posted March 14 (edited)

The last few weeks I have gone this "phase" of wanting to be a caring ear and help people with emotional problems.................................................................................. Mood swings are a big symptom of depression, so it might be a good idea to look for help in this.

He cared for a week

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

My attitude is that, at age 74 and 'rich' by local peasant standards, I should give as I can to others among my large extended family & friends because there are those who slave away every day and are almost always available to help out here 40 kms away when we need help but, despite their efforts, they still can't make ends meet (no education) so they can't cover all costs including medical.  When they come to work here I pay them way over the minimum daily rate, feed & water and fill the truck tank, and to one BIL who's particularly hard-working I give a large donation each December for him and his family & to improve his small farm.

But the drinkers & the lazy good-for-nothings don't get a cent from me.  If they ask, my answer is always a variant on 'pull finger'.

So the lesson is: Choose carefully who you give to.

Same here, help by giving (no loans, no worries about repayment)

I help those willing work and needing a hand, or those working but not able to provide for the family

Giving loans to those that cannot get a loan from the bank is never a good idea. Not here and not in any country.

Giving loans to family is even a worse idea.

I prefer to pay xx % of what is needed, but not 100%  so that all have a stake.

Thailand is not that different from other countries

• Love It 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

•  
  •  
    •  
  •  
  • Popular Post
Posted March 14 (edited)

Why should I ....I enjoy being crazy , I don't want to change , I want to be like this 

The good thing Fred is only you know I'm crazy no one else 

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Mostly, NO.

You just cannot escape this truism.

Better to give than to receive.

How many here know this?

I shiver with the cold.

I have been OUT IN THE COLD for too long, in fact.

We can't live out in the cold, FOREVER....

Are we all basically, just glorified baboons?

Sometimes I do wonder.

Regards,

Gamma

Note:  YES.  Most here are baboons, IMHO.

Who are you calling a baboon?

12 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Mostly yes.

Found it. The problem.

1. You state you became a nurse to help others in society.

2. Then you regretted it because you did not get treated well by bosses, co workers, patients, and relatives.

So you became a nurse because you wanted something from others, but you didn't get it.

That is not how selflessly helping others works.  The true rewards come from the selflessly part.

In your case you just failed to negotiate a deal on your terms.

• Sad 1

23 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Mostly, NO.

You just cannot escape this truism.

Better to give than to receive.

How many here know this?

I shiver with the cold.

I have been OUT IN THE COLD for too long, in fact.

We can't live out in the cold, FOREVER....

Are we all basically, just glorified baboons?

Sometimes I do wonder.

Regards,

Gamma

Note:  YES.  Most here are baboons, IMHO.

It all depends on if you are a giver or a taker.

The late Chris Farley mock interviews Paul McCartney on SNL:

Chris Farley: Right. I think we.. I think we got time for one more question. Uh.. remember when you were in The Beatles? And, um, you did that album Abbey Road, and at the very end of the song, it would.. the song goes, “And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make”? You.. you remember that?

Paul McCartney: Yes.

Chris Farley: Uh.. is that true?

Paul McCartney: Yes, Chris. In my experience, it is. I find, the more you give, the more you get.

https://snltranscripts.jt.org/92/92mfarley.phtml

On 3/21/2024 at 3:38 PM, georgegeorgia said:

Strangely you say that 

I cast my mind back to 1998 when I worked as a Wardsman at one of Australia 's biggest hospital 

My direct supervisor was a raging gay guy who liked to walk with a limp wrist ,he was called a NUM which was the nursing unit manager,he was in his 50's then .

Nasty man who used to love to cause problems and cause rumours

I hope he is dead now 

Strange you would reference a man manager. I certainly wish an unpleasant life for some of my managers, but the only two I'd like dead were both men.