Bangkok enveloped in smog as PM2.5 levels hit new highs

webfact

image.jpeg

Bangkok citizens awoke yesterday to a pervasive burning smell as PM2.5 pollution levels soared across the city. Officials have identified three primary causes for the incident, which left many areas shrouded in a smoky haze and sparked widespread concern among residents.

The unexpected spike in air pollution was primarily attributed to a shift in wind direction yesterday, March 20, as winds from the east replaced the usual breezes from the Gulf of Thailand. This change contributed to the accumulation of pollutants, particularly in the vicinity of the capital. Additionally, multiple fire incidents in the surrounding provinces during the past 24 hours were noted, further exacerbating the air quality.

The current weather variability, including the occurrence of summer storms and the recent passage of a high-pressure system from the northeast, has also played a significant role. These meteorological conditions have caused the mixing height—the layer of the atmosphere where air and pollutants can disperse—to decrease, leading to greater concentrations of particulate matter. With increased humidity, secondary PM2.5, particles formed from nitrogen compounds and ammonia, are more likely to occur, particularly under moist conditions, reported KhaoSod.

In light of these developments, the advisor on sustainability to the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration, Phonprom NorSor Wikitset, provided insights into the smoke and smell that plagued the city. The page Friends of Chatichai posted a statement on social media, which explained the reasons behind the smoggy conditions.

In related news, Bangkok and 11 other provinces in Thailand are currently grappling with hazardous air quality levels, exacerbated by PM2.5 particulate matter exceeding standard thresholds.

The Geo-Informatics and Space Technology Development Agency (GISTDA), under the Ministry of Higher Education, Science, Research and Innovation, alongside the National Research Council of Thailand, the Pollution Control Department, Kasetsart University, and Chiang Mai University, are monitoring the situation on an hourly basis through satellite data available on the Air4Thai application.

by Nattapong Westwood 

Picture courtesy of KhaoSod

Source: The Thaiger 2024-03-21

- Discover how Cigna Insurance can protect you with a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment. For more information on expat health insurance click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

1000x500-3.png

• Sad 2
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, flyingtlger said:

I don't care to hear about the insights, I just want someone to do something about the pollution!

thanks for the smile this morning. 

18 minutes ago, UWEB said:

What do you expect from a Prime Minister who put business above health of people?

Gee thats simplistic. Since you are such an expert though, tell the PM how to solve the problem. Fans over the Gulf of Thailand? Invade Laos and Cambodia to stop the burning?

• Confused 2

6 minutes ago, UWEB said:

Better to do the homework first and stop the burning in Thailand before blaming the neighboring countries. 

LOL. Thats what I thought. More bold anonymous anti Thai govt screeches.

• Confused 2

5 hours ago, flyingtlger said:

I don't care to hear about the insights, I just want someone to do something about the pollution!

Then my friend I think you'll have a very long wait.

Well at least Chiang Mai is off the hook now🤔 I live in the north and have never smelt/smelled smoke as I used to in Indonesia.

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, aseanfan said:

I live in Bangkok.  Yesterday we had 3 hours of rain in the morning.  There was no smell of smoke.  And the air quality seemed to be OK.

Unfortunately today in Bangkok, the smog is back; there has been no rain; the AQI for PM2.5 is on the increase and there is no apparent action from the PM's office apart from a lot of hot air.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, aseanfan said:

I live in Bangkok.  Yesterday we had 3 hours of rain in the morning.  There was no smell of smoke.  And the air quality seemed to be OK.

seemed to be okay - that is the problem!  I checked early AM and then after the rain.  Early AM was around 50 while after the rains over a 100!  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Srikcir said:

From AQI "The current PM2.5 concentration in Bangkok is 5.5 times above the recommended limit given by the WHO 24 hrs air quality guidelines value."

Will a mask even help?

From AQI "The current PM2.5 concentration in Bangkok is 5.5 times above the recommended limit given by the WHO 24 hrs air quality guidelines value."

Will a mask even help?

Will a mask even help?

Will a mask even help?

When I read your question I decided to visit google search and checked N95 masks and air pollution.  Scientists and experts that responded to this question said YES!  a good quality n95 surgical mask will help block out even the 2.5 micron pollutants. Cloth masks and the cheaper other masks can reportedly only block about 30% max of those smaller particles.  Need to have a close-fitting as when you inhale if the mask is not tight against the face, the smaller particles may enter.  One can google the same as I did but must trust whoever the experts are.  I know for sure that I have worn a mask for many years, even before COVID as doctors visiting me in capital cities around the had warned me about pollution many years ago. To date my lungs and other organs do not appear to have been affected by being in heavily polluted cities and being a regular outdoor jogger.  Now though just a walker! but I still wear my mask every day as here in Thailand where I live, it is polluted more often than not.  Accuweather combined with your location may also provide you with the pollution level.  2.5micron meters on Lazada and Shopee are fairly cheap.  I use mine regularly and have done so for many years.  Good luck. Stay healthy!  Eat a healthy diet to counter some of the pollutants too.