Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Making an Automatic so it can be pushed

In many car parks you see cars clearly blocking others but they are set so they can be pushed out of the way.whilst there is no ignition key and the owner is not there.

I am at a loss as to how to set this in my 2001 Toyota Altis - can anyone help?

Thanks

• Confused 3

Just now, flyingtlger said:

Keep your car unlocked and in neutral with your window open.

Thanks but doesn't work on my car - I can't remove the ignition key whilst in neutral

5 minutes ago, Raindancer said:

Put the gear into "P".  Remove the key and depress the small button at the top right of the gear console, whilst putting the gear lever into neutral.

Thanks

• Thumbs Up 2

Mine don’t have a key. It has a key fob. Push button start. Won’t turn off til it’s it park. Then after it’s off it stays in park. That’s the way it’s made. It can’t be pushed

1 hour ago, thrilled said:

Mine don’t have a key. It has a key fob. Push button start. Won’t turn off til it’s it park. Then after it’s off it stays in park. That’s the way it’s made. It can’t be pushed

I'll bet that I can put it in neutral and push it... all automatic transmission cars have a release button near the shift lever... sometimes it is under the boot that covers the shifter... but it is there.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Negita43 said:

Thanks but doesn't work on my car - I can't remove the ignition key whilst in neutral

Put in Park, remove key, then depending on model there will be a button to release the Park lock function. 

• Agree 1

Most key fobs have a secret key inside. have a look at it carefully.

Mine has a tiny switch on the side so that it released the key inside the fob.

Then place it in the hole by the automatic gear stick. Then you can move it to neutral.

Edited by Andyfez

3 hours ago, thrilled said:

make model? , there will be a way to put it in N and then lock the car

1 hour ago, fredwiggy said:

I'm thinking park in an area, legally, so you aren't blocking other vehicles. Or am I missing something?

Almost every Thai parking facility explicitly allows double parking, but with the requirement that the car be in neutral so that it can be pushed out of the way if necessary.

On 3/21/2024 at 9:35 AM, Negita43 said:

Put in neutral. Disconnect the battery you will then be able to remove the ignition key. Reconnect the battery leave in neutral a pain but doable 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Toby1947 said:

Put in neutral. Disconnect the battery you will then be able to remove the ignition key. Reconnect the battery leave in neutral a pain but doable 

20 hours ago, steve187 said:

make model? , there will be a way to put it in N and then lock the car

Nope, 2023 Chevy Corvette. It stays in park no matter what

On 3/22/2024 at 2:07 AM, fredwiggy said:

I'm thinking park in an area, legally, so you aren't blocking other vehicles. Or am I missing something?

How long have you lived in Thailand?

And have you ever been to a multi storey car park here?

it's common practice to park across the front of another car(s)

• Like 1

On 3/21/2024 at 12:35 PM, Negita43 said:

Leave the keys in it

I love it when they park like this and don't leave any gaps.  Once watched a fat farang in Central push about 10 cars in a row to allow his car to exit.  He pushed the last car and didn't have enough room - back to the start and do it all again. Poor mugger probably went home and had a heart attack.  

I would have offered to help, but he was cursing loudly in German. :coffee1:

• Like 1

Just now, Gsxrnz said:

love it when they park like this and don't leave any gaps.  Once watched a fat farang in Central push about 10 cars in a row to allow his car to exit.  He pushed the last car and didn't have enough room - back to the start and do it all again. Poor mugger probably went home and had a heart attack.  

I suppose the logical answer is to always park across full bays at the end of a row :post-4641-1156694572:

For all my time in Thailand I can count on one hand the number of times that I can't find a parking spot without needing to double park, sure it might need to be on inconvenient floors away from entrance or elevator 

on s known malls that is sure to fill up like Paragon on the weekend, there are alternatives that you don't need to drive there

Also used to drive a Japanese import with column shifter that don't have ways of putting in neutral and taking out the key

Some European import bury the release under the shifter needing the removal of some panels to access it to tow, The mechanic would have a way of making a button that can be pressed, but most Thai market cars are known to have them readily accessible, as well as brief lesson by the salesgirls on delivery day on how to use it of course 

On 3/22/2024 at 5:42 AM, alanrchase said:

Mine has a key fob and push button start. There is an emergency key in the fob in case the key fob battery dies to allow you to unlock the car. With the car in park and engine off you insert the emergency key in a slot by the gear selector, push down and move the selector to N.

often you don't even need the key, just an ice cream stick into the hole to poke the button is enough, 

On 3/23/2024 at 9:27 AM, Negita43 said:

How long have you lived in Thailand?

And have you ever been to a multi storey car park here?

it's common practice to park across the front of another car(s)

Which is idiotic because when you have to leave, and maybe in an emergency, somebody is blocking you so you can't. Another moronic third world fact that other countries have laws for.

• Sad 1