Looking for information on a respiratory infection currently circulating in Thailand.

rabas

13 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

I believe it started with an L. I did try to read it but the doc was too quick. I asked if it was rocephin but she said it was not and that it was specific to upper respiratory tract. It was definitely an antibiotic. 

It's 80% better after 2 days but today there is some recurrence.

Not a lot of L's to go from, likely ones might be:

Lincomycin (relative of Clindamycin)

Levofloxacin

Lomefloxacin

17 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Yes, I think me and the brother/sister all had it as well but that was a very long time ago back in the 1970s.

I know it's something that is routinely vaccinated against these days.

Also I know this whooping cough outbreak which seemed to begin last year has now gone global, it's everywhere. If you search the news there are many reports from all around the world and they're recent.

one reference  16 Feb 2024

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/england-and-wales-in-whooping-cough-epidemic-experts-warn/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rabas said:

Not a lot of L's to go from, likely ones might be:

Lincomycin (relative of Clindamycin)

Levofloxacin

Lomefloxacin

I'm 99% sure it was Lincomycin.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ozimoron said:

I'm 99% sure it was Lincomycin.

Lincomycin is almost the same as Clindamycin, one atom different. Clindamycin is somewhat improved while Lincomycin is often used for injections. 

If it worked that well for you, you probably didn't have whooping cough, which is a gram negative bacteria. Neither Lincomycin nor Clindamycin work well on  many gram negative aerobic bacteria, so the say. I'm just reporting what I am reading.

Someone suggested just go see a doctor, which is often very good advice. With good background knowledge I find studying first often makes for a better doctor's visit if necessary. But it's not for everyone.  A doctor's visit is highly recommended before taking strong antibiotics that you are not familiar with.

Edited by rabas
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, rabas said:

Two immediate family members including my wife got sick about a week ago with a respiratory illness mostly localized to the throat. Symptoms include troublesome persistent coughing, a moderate sore throat, and little nasal involvement. I'm told there is a lot going around up country in parts of Buriram where we have relatives.

I have little input from elsewhere. Has anyone heard of something like this?  Is something going around? Any thoughts on if it is viral or bacterial? I'm all too aware of Thailand's air pollution issues but symptoms, locale, and timing seem the rule that out.

Many thanks.

I (in an adjacent province) picked that up 2-3 weeks ago.....took about 10 days before recovery commenced.

Self diagnosed as Bronchitis.

Ok now.

Edited by Enoon

22 hours ago, rabas said:

Hi

where is the Buakhow clinic

Thanks and rgds

thaisabai

That's why I a started the thread, I want to know what it is and how to fight it. My niece was given Amoxy-Clavulanic acid, often a good choice for tough bacteria,  but it's not clear how much better she is. There are two reasons AmoxyClav may not work, it's not a bacteria or it can't fight the bug.

• Confused 1

I have the exact same symptoms. Started out with a sore throat and aching joints. Then a day later coughing started and throat got worse. 

Gradually my throat got better but coughing has become really bad.

Hospital tested for flu, covid etc etc and xray for pneumonia. Diagnosed with bronchitis and given a ton of medication. 

Phenylephrine 1 tab 2 x per day

Japrolox 1 tab 3 x per day

Prednisolone 2 tabs 2 x per day

Darflox antibiotic 2 tabs 2 x per day

Reducof Lozenge tab 3 x per day

Ropect 1 tab 3 x per day

Nac Long effervescent 1 tab 2 x per day

Tussis Mixture 5ml 3 x per day

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, pub2022 said:

Here we go again, it's China's fault.

Are you sure it isn't Russia?

Maybe both, why not.

https://www.nbcnews.com/id/wbna4135122

Most flu strains start in China

The population of China alone is bigger than that of the whole of Africa, and 80 percent of the new human flu strains the last few decades appeared in China first.

• Agree 1

54 minutes ago, thaisabai said:

Hi

where is the Buakhow clinic

Thanks and rgds

thaisabai

I believe it is in Pattaya  but I don't know exactly where. Perhaps someone in Pattaya will know.

22 hours ago, ukrules said:

Yes, I think me and the brother/sister all had it as well but that was a very long time ago back in the 1970s.

I know it's something that is routinely vaccinated against these days.

Also I know this whooping cough outbreak which seemed to begin last year has now gone global, it's everywhere. If you search the news there are many reports from all around the world and they're recent.

I also had it, it was in January 2022 and it lasted 3 months. I thought I was going crazy, nothing was working.... Everybody I met at that time was scared of me because of COVID, I kept coughing all day long. Very annoying, physically and mentally.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Postmaster said:

I had those symptoms, and still do have them to a lesser extent, however athromycin antiobiotic helped improve my condition by eliminating the coughing.

Thanks, Do you mean Azithromycin?

My daughter is in the local hospital with the same throat problems.

Her heavy hacking resulted in a increased heartbeat upto 145.

After the initial 24 hours her heart rate has dropped dramatically to near normal levels.

I blame the smog as in PM2.5 particules in the air at the moment.

We live in rural Isaan.

Worst in 15 years here, I have even had the odd coughing bout but nowhere near my daughter's level.

Sadly the Muppets just pay lip service to the whole problem of burning off...

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

41 minutes ago, rabas said:

I believe it is in Pattaya  but I don't know exactly where. Perhaps someone in Pattaya will know.

Right opposite the entrance to soi LK Metro on soi Buakhaow.

• Thanks 1

There,s been loads of it in the uk. i,ve had a seriously bad lung infection since early December and know many many others Who Report

the same also . unlike anything i,ve ever had. i,m waiting for results of a ct scan on lungs at the moment. also had covid 3 weeks ago which started with sore throat . respitory Infections seem to be more extreme since the whole covid thing .

Edited by teeyai
  • Thanks 1

On 3/21/2024 at 2:17 PM, rabas said:

Agree. Also, some but not all forms of air pollution may contribute somewhat to the transmission of existing pathogens, most likely viral. However, pollution on its own can not cause pathogenic illness. I am looking for causes and hopefully the pathogen.

Daughter went to Seoul for a concert, snowy and cold and came back with what sounds exactly like many seem to be experiencing.  She already had a doctor's appointment and while there they tested her ad said it was not a virus but then wife caught it from her and they both have now had it for almost two weeks.  Getting somewhat better but still there.  I avoid both of them as much as possible. Good health to all!  in spite of the bd air quality...this AM in Bkk our neighborhood was 125 so 4 times the healthy limit!

• Like 1

On 3/21/2024 at 9:36 AM, rattlesnake said:

Whatever is going around doesn't seem to be confined to Thailand. I was in France from December to February and lots of people there had exactly the symptoms described. The most striking difference with regular, seasonal colds was the time it lasted for everyone, several weeks. Even my dad, who is usually the type who never gets sick, couldn't completely get rid of it for nearly 2 months. And my brother who is in London told me it was the same there with everybody coughing at the office…

I left Thailand half February and got sick after a visit a Mor Lam performance. All family members got sick with symtoms of fever headakes coffing lots of slyme running nose etc. At home in The Netherlands I Am still have coffing and running nose. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/21/2024 at 1:50 PM, rabas said:

Two immediate family members including my wife got sick about a week ago with a respiratory illness mostly localized to the throat. Symptoms include troublesome persistent coughing, a moderate sore throat, and little nasal involvement. I'm told there is a lot going around up country in parts of Buriram where we have relatives.

I have little input from elsewhere. Has anyone heard of something like this?  Is something going around? Any thoughts on if it is viral or bacterial? I'm all too aware of Thailand's air pollution issues but symptoms, locale, and timing seem the rule that out.

Many thanks.

Yes, we had the same up in our village near Sakon Nakhon. Both my wife and I had persistent coughs for 2 or 3 weeks and she tells me several other family members were affected. We can't attribute this to bad as we generally enjoy quite good air quality around here.

We never sought medical advise, just sucked a lot of Fisherman's Friends. Lozenges that is, before anyone starts. :smile:

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Max Brok said:

I left Thailand half February and got sick after a visit a Mor Lam performance. All family members got sick with symtoms of fever headakes coffing lots of slyme running nose etc. At home in The Netherlands I Am still have coffing and running nose. 

People have never been so sick.

7 hours ago, teeyai said:

There,s been loads of it in the uk. i,ve had a seriously bad lung infection since early December and know many many others Who Report

the same also . unlike anything i,ve ever had. i,m waiting for results of a ct scan on lungs at the moment. also had covid 3 weeks ago which started with sore throat . respitory Infections seem to be more extreme since the whole covid thing .

"Respitory Infections seem to be more extreme since the whole Covid thing."

I agree. Do you have any idea of what the cause of this is?

9 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Can we not turn this into another antivax crusade if that's your intention? It isn't covid.

Not my intention and I am genuinely interested in reading people's takes and opinions on the matter.

• Like 1

Respiratory infections don’t become more extreme after COVID. Hospital bed and OPD queues can't lie. It has always been like this. You just paid more attention and see more of it, but it’s always been there.

On 3/21/2024 at 2:15 PM, Georgealbert said:

As @GammaGlobulin stated many respiratory conditions are becoming worse due to the poor air quality. If there is a infection going around, any effects are being amplified.

Article on some of the problems currently occurring in the Thai Enquirer yesterday.

“Short-term effects include irritation of the eyes, nose, and throat, coughing, sneezing, and shortness of breath”

https://www.thaienquirer.com/51928/pm2-5-an-explainer/

And, I thought that almost NO ONE valued my opiinions.

So surprised, now!