Looking for information on a respiratory infection currently circulating in Thailand.

rabas

17 hours ago, rattlesnake said:

"Respitory Infections seem to be more extreme since the whole Covid thing."

I agree. Do you have any idea of what the cause of this is?

13 minutes ago, PPMMUU said:

Respiratory infections don’t become more extreme after COVID. Hospital bed and OPD queues can't lie. It has always been like this. You just paid more attention and see more of it, but it’s always been there.

Yes and no. It worked this way.

COVID was the greatest shock to the human respiratory pathogen biosphere since the 1918 Spanish flu. It was so bad it nearly eliminated influenza globally. [reference]. Other diseases were also affected. There are multiple factors including reduced exposure, isolation, masks, hand washing, alcohol, and just general caution.

It was then predicted that when COVID did subside, many repressed respiratory illnesses could rebound including increased cases and possibly moderately increased severity. (relevant to this thread) The main reason was that humans were not exposed to things like the flu for two years, in which time our immunity would begin to wane.

So yes, there could well be a moderate bump in cases and severity. All very normal. Not related to 5G bat antenna chem trail transmissions. 

But here is the logical question. If combined measures to suppress COVID were so effective they nearly wiped out influenza, how bad would COVID have been had we done nothing?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, rabas said:

It was then predicted that when COVID did subside, many repressed respiratory illnesses could rebound including increased cases and possibly moderately increased severity.

The rebound is real, but it has come and gone. Not this.

27 minutes ago, rabas said:

Yes and no. It worked this way.

COVID was the greatest shock to the human respiratory pathogen biosphere since the 1918 Spanish flu. It was so bad it nearly eliminated influenza globally. [reference]. Other diseases were also affected. There are multiple factors including reduced exposure, isolation, masks, hand washing, alcohol, and just general caution.

It was then predicted that when COVID did subside, many repressed respiratory illnesses could rebound including increased cases and possibly moderately increased severity. (relevant to this thread) The main reason was that humans were not exposed to things like the flu for two years, in which time our immunity would begin to wane.

So yes, there could well be a moderate bump in cases and severity. All very normal. Not related to 5G bat antenna chem trail transmissions. 

But here is the logical question. If combined measures to suppress COVID were so effective they nearly wiped out influenza, how bad would COVID have been had we done nothing?

Have there been insights on how long this bump in cases and severity could last?

1 hour ago, Georgealbert said:

Sorry, it was a first and maybe only time. 55555

Happy to know this!

Please do not FREAK ME OUT, Man!

My old heart just cannot take these kinds of shocks, in my old age.

Thank you for your cooperation.....

• Haha 1

On 3/22/2024 at 2:50 PM, rabas said:

Thanks, Do you mean Azithromycin?

Me too am going through the same ordeal...After 2 weeks of OTC self-medication (decongestants only, no antibiotic) at the 3rd week when the coughing got really really (tear-jerking) serious, yesterday I went to Ramathibodi Hospital off Victory Monument for a check up.

The young lady doc who saw me spoke pretty good English, ie I could chat with her, she had me open my mouth for a look in, listened to my breathing both back and front. The diagnosis: pharyngitis  AND  bronchitis. She reluctantly ordered an xray - at my insistence though later I found out her reluctance was probably due to the high cost of xray - my lungs look fine. At the end she prescribed antibiotic along the usual decongestant stuff that I have used previously OTC. 2 capsules of Azithromycin 250 mg before dinner for 5 days. (Initially she prescribed something else but switched due to my allergy from Penicillin.)

The services there was top notch, admins all around was prompt and courteous, totally on their feet. Even though I asked for a follow up appointment, the staff advised that if I needed to come back then I should go directly to the specialized department next time. As of this morning, the coughing has subsided considerably, because of that I'm feeling much better.  Lesson learned: don't wait till it gets serious, get PROPERLY treated ASAP.

On 3/22/2024 at 1:47 PM, bfc1980 said:

I have the exact same symptoms. Started out with a sore throat and aching joints. Then a day later coughing started and throat got worse. 

Gradually my throat got better but coughing has become really bad.

Hospital tested for flu, covid etc etc and xray for pneumonia. Diagnosed with bronchitis and given a ton of medication. 

Phenylephrine 1 tab 2 x per day

Japrolox 1 tab 3 x per day

Prednisolone 2 tabs 2 x per day

Darflox antibiotic 2 tabs 2 x per day

Reducof Lozenge tab 3 x per day

Ropect 1 tab 3 x per day

Nac Long effervescent 1 tab 2 x per day

Tussis Mixture 5ml 3 x per day

that is ridiculous. it is like visiting a doctor in Thailand 20 years ago.

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, n00dle said:

I've wondered about this and concluded that with some doctors they're going to prescribe something for every complaint you describe.  Not sure if they believe it will work or just do it because they think the patient expects it.

After reading all of these comments I think it’s time to see the doctor.  About 11 days ago I work up in the middle of the night with a fever, sore throat and a racing heart, up to 135 bpm.  A day later the sore throat was gone along with the fever and my heart rate back to near normal but developed a cough and general stuffiness which I still have.  It’s driving my wife crazy.

1 hour ago, n00dle said:

It's ridiculous and dangerous how over-prescribed antibiotics are in Thailand.  It's a cough & a cold for goodness sake!

I had something similar,  dry cough, burning sensation in the top of the lungs, no fever, but also no improvement. After 6 weeks I threw in the towel and took antibiotics. Almost instant improvement and 5 days later I was symptom free.

Most likely it was walking pneumonia.

20231227_110054.jpg

I had something similar,  dry cough, burning sensation in the top of the lungs, no fever, but also no improvement. After 6 weeks I threw in the towel and took antibiotics. Almost instant improvement and 5 days later I was symptom free.

Most likely it was walking pneumonia.

Twice in 3 weeks: runny nose, sore throat, bit of a cough, feel a bit light headed.

Seems to last 3 days then go.

Hopefully will be good for saturday night when it is my usual beer o'clock.