Monks’ brawl during ceremony sparks debate in Surat Thani

Did the family ask for their donation back? Services rendered or entertainment value? Whatever next, it'll be katoeys boxing on the streets of Bangkok! 🙂 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, soi3eddie said:

Did the family ask for their donation back? Services rendered or entertainment value? Whatever next, it'll be katoeys boxing on the streets of Bangkok! 🙂 

And did the ceremony / event just continue?

Or did it end when the punch up happened?

11 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The standing monk, taken by surprise, dropped his bowl of rice, which shattered on the floor, before responding with punches of his own. The family members present were stunned by the sight of the brawling monks, as the scene unfolded amidst a setting meant for reverence and piety

Oh the image.... 

• Like 1

I am shattered. My whole image of wunnerful passive peaceful Buddhism destroyed.

What will my prayerful peasant family make of this? Heavens, it could lead to revolution! Even democracy!

15 hours ago, stoner said:

are the offerings for the temple or the monk ? i had thought the offering of money was for the temple as monks have vowed against money.....right ? 

A bit like beggars fighting over their pitch on the high street.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, scorecard said:

And did the ceremony / event just continue?

Or did it end when the punch up happened?

I can imagine the old couple who were to be blessed saying, "errrrm, we'll come back tomorrow when you're not so busy"

13 hours ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

Probably these one week monks to show off the photos and pretend they are anything other than they are not. The Abott if he had any scruples should have kicked them out there and then.

The Abbott was one of the belligerents 😱

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, bob smith said:

Why on earth are these people given special privileges in Thailand?

bob.

You really don't know and have lived there for years - no wonder you want to leave it must all be a confusing mystery with "fit birds" !

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VinnieK said:

The Abbott was one of the belligerents 😱

I couldn't see that in the post. The Buddha wrote this about violence. These duelling monks like many Thais are not true Buddhists just superstutious humans beleiveing in anything that rocks their boats.

"Monks, even if bandits were to carve you up savagely, limb by limb, with a two-handled saw, he among you who let his heart get angered even at that would not be doing my bidding. Even then you should train yourselves: 'Our minds will be unaffected and we will say no evil words. We will remain sympathetic, with a mind of good will, and with no inner hate. We will keep pervading these people with an awareness imbued with good will and, beginning with them, we will keep pervading the all-encompassing world with an awareness imbued with good will — abundant, expansive, immeasurable, free from hostility, free from ill will.'

• Agree 1