Windows 10 updates

Are their worse it? I have an old laptop which I have to restart sometimes, but if I do and hey an update comes along without warning it takes hours to download. I don't mind the updates, but can't they be downloaded at certain times just like the defrag?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, still kicking said:

Are their worse it? I have an old laptop which I have to restart sometimes, but if I do and hey an update comes along without warning it takes hours to download. I don't mind the updates, but can't they be downloaded at certain times just like the defrag?

Yes it can, as you can schedule downloads and updates for Windows.

• Confused 1

Check your updates before you reboot.  I believe the MS still rolls out updates on the 2nd Tuesday of the month unless you opt-in for updates at anytime (I don't), i.e., "Get the latest updates as soon as they're available."  I keep that off.  Other than Defender updates, you shouldn't be getting major updates until Security Patch Tuesday.

Regarding the speed of update.  As I've said before - MS Windows is a resource hog.  The more hardware you can throw at it (higher end CPUs, lots of RAM, and SSD drives instead of HDD) the faster the updates happen.  I'll also tend to use a wired Ethernet cable instead of Wireless if it's available.  Older systems?  Yeah - it takes forever.  Which is why I plug Linux.  You can install a major kernel update and a bunch of minor updates in two or three minutes vs literally hours with MS Windows.  The minor kernel update may take a reboot that is no slower than a regular reboot - unlike MS Windower with its "Please wait forever and don't you dare turn your system off unless you want to corrupt your system."  I don't worry much about Windows updates abysmal download and installation speeds, because I run Windows in a VirtualBox VM, I can just turn on the Windows VM and let it rip (as slowly as it wants) while having a productive day using Linux concurrently.  Plus if you ever look at the size of your WinSxS folder?  It can get massive.  The update components are really poorly designed.  FYI.  Make sure you "Trim" your SSD drive regularly as well. 

Screenshotfrom2024-03-2123-31-36.png.2fbcf0f0b07a33553b2ca2cfd6b55387.png

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

On 3/21/2024 at 3:33 PM, still kicking said:

No windows update should take hours.

There is something wrong with the windows installation, hardware or internet connection.

Try the windows 10 tool "disk cleanup" to clean unwanted program files , temp files etc...

Install an SSD HDD, reinstall windows 10 and update it.

Check your internet connection speeds.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, freeworld said:

No windows update should take hours.

But in many cases, it does.  I've seen the same on my own systems.  That's if they install at all.  All too often they don't.

Updates on Linux, even major updates, take a minute or two and 99.9% don't require a reboot.
As well, Linux doesn't cache updates like Windows does.  It's pretty pathetic to see that cached updates in the WinSxS folder are taking up 20 or 30 GB of hard disk space.  That's just a poor OS design.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/22/2024 at 1:30 AM, Lemsta69 said:

I've used Linux and it isn't all that it's cracked up to be. I can't stand it and would rather wait hours for a Windows update to install than have to go on to a Linux forum to find a solution to a basic problem only to find that one doesn't exist unless you're a computer programmer.

Way back when I had a Dell XPS laptop and a Panasonic Viera HD LED TV. Windows had no trouble sending video and audio to the TV but neither Ubuntu nor Linux Mint could send audio to the telly. 

Hours of searching on Linux forums yielded no viable solutions, only the usual "Linux good, proprietary bad" nonsense, and useless tips like "is Alsa mixer" installed. 

Another time I was running Linux Mint in VM and one day when I tried to log in I just got a blank screen instead of the login page. Again, hours of searching on Linux forums to no avail so I had to bin the install and start again.

I gave up after that, too much drama and too much messing about in the old-timey terminal. Windows sucks but Linux sucks worse.

Having used both for years, I can accurately state that both OS can at times be problematic to fix if you run into a serious enough of a problem. 

However - I find that MS' solutions are cryptic at best and often the solution to problems are difficult to find in the MS forums and online help. 
Linux forums are much more robust in their solutions.  However, I will agree that you do find some really arrogant wing-nuts on Linux forums who are so full of themselves as to not be of any help at all.  My favorite were the jerks whose solutions for everything is "Read The Manpages."  And then I'll agree with you - manpages are written for programmer types and not for everyday end-users who are seeking a GUI experience in a Linux OS.  But there are ways around problems.  Keeping Timeshift (similar to Windows Restore Points) up to date as well as keeping partition images up to date as well solves a lot of issues.  If things go south, then roll back to a know good partition or Timeshift snapshot.  Honestly the same goes for WIndows although most people don't bother.  But if you keep periodic snapshots of your partitions, and run periodic backup of your data files in either OS, getting a broken system running again is a whole lot easier than trying to troubleshoot the problem.

So yeah, there is a little more of a learning curve with Linux but not that much imho.  If your OS breaks whether Windows or Linux, finding a solutions can be a hassle with either OS.  It's simpler to roll back to a known good partition and then replace the delta from backups.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Linux has regular updates and they are quick.

Sometimes they are and sometimes not. 1500 or more updates (including all the software updates--conveniently) might take 20 min to download and install, depending on speed of repositories. And Nvidia will demand you assent to the T&C several times, if you have Nvidia proprietary drivers.

Both Windows and Linux downloads and installation of updates take place in the background. No real issue there. But Windows nags you and then will also require a reboot after the Patch Tuesday or .NET framework updates. You can put that off indefinitely but finally realize by the time the next Patch Tuesday rolls around that you've waited long enough. 'Course, many of our posters turn off their computers every night anyway to save a few satang on their electric bills, so this isn't much of an issue either. 

Drama may accompany updates w/ either. For non-expert Linux users, minimizing the drama comes to the forefront.

image.png.9be9347ad1d696ef8e495701dc035638.png

But

image.png.b05641a1a88d45ac9ebf533a9a628fde.png

Edited by BigStar
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, connda said:

But in many cases, it does.  I've seen the same on my own systems.  That's if they install at all.  All too often they don't.

I have W11 0n three PCs, a tower I built myself 10 years ago, an Aspire AIO, and an Asus Vivo laptop. All have latest W11 Pro, all update automatically in minutes. No problems with them whatsoever.

A lot of problems arise when users f'''k around with their machines to 'make them run better'. 

5 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

I have W11 0n three PCs, a tower I built myself 10 years ago, an Aspire AIO, and an Asus Vivo laptop. All have latest W11 Pro, all update automatically in minutes. No problems with them whatsoever.

A lot of problems arise when users f'''k around with their machines to 'make them run better'. 

Like you have....?  😂

Just now, KannikaP said:

No Trans. I let Windows get on with whatever it wants to do, when it wants to.

My PC is like Triggers broom, I have been messing about with it for years, because I like messing about with it.

Motherboard and CPU are about 14 years old, PSU, GPU and SSD are not, various HDD ages, with download speed of 930Mbps...

So it's gone from a slug to a fairly quick machine for my ageing gray cells........😋

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I've got a five year old PC, that's old enough and Win11 installs latest updates in a minute or two. Why people struggle with Win10 on old hardware is beyond me. I've also got Linux but Win11 is easier than ever these days.

• Agree 2

23 minutes ago, Hamus Yaigh said:

I've got a five year old PC, that's old enough and Win11 installs latest updates in a minute or two. Why people struggle with Win10 on old hardware is beyond me. I've also got Linux but Win11 is easier than ever these days.

I'm not struggling w/ my Win10 at all. It's tuned, tweaked, and beautiful. To address your consternation: though I keep up with the news, I've yet to find any reason to bother changing to Win11 and going through the process of civilizing it. Nor do I need to feel all hi tech and cutting edge. I have some interesting things to learn about customizing the KDE interface on my OpenSUSE when I get around to it. Sigh. Life's good in Pattaya. 

Now, I don't care what OS anyone else is using. 

But here ya go:

Latest Windows 11 Update Causing BSODs, Performance Issues for Some Users

Discussion thread here: https://reddit.com/r/Windows11/comments/1bd37fi/cumulative_updates_march_12th_2024/

And there's plenty of hate for Win11 out there:

Why do people still hate windows 11? : r/Windows11 Reddit

The title is win 10.

Members are just giving the OP different options. That's a good thing imho.  :thumbsup:

• Like 1