What is considered a "certified" copy/letter?

I'm planning to apply for a new non-O visa based on my marriage to a Thai citizen. I'll apply through the Chicago embassy and their website lists 2 certified documents.

a certified copy of the Thai national's passport/Thai Identification Card of the spouse.
a certified letter from the Thai spouse stating that he or she is still married to the applicant.

What are they looking for that makes it "certified?" A signature or a notary?

10 minutes ago, ubonrthai said:

Wait for advice from someone who has actually done the process.

My understanding is that it simply means  "signed" 

Bit the same as sign photocopy of ID page when attending bank for any purpose 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Certified usually means the document is notarised by a notary public, the police, or a magistrate. It depends on the circumstances which official is deemed to be acceptable.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

It is entirely up to the organization asking for certified copies to tell you precisely what constitutes "certified" So you need to go go back and ask them.

• Agree 1

The papers from the individuals identified in the documents has to be notarized by a notary public, since you are in the US.  Each documents has to be presented by the individual who 'owns' the document.  I've had document notarized by even a UPS office where the individual is a notary public and has the seal to imprint on the document.

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

OP, I posted earlier that imo this just means wife Signs photocopies of thai ID and letter of still being married.

Not the western meaning of "certified " 

Read uboejoe posts in this attached thread 

https://aseannow.com/topic/868379-guarantee-letter-written-in-thai-from-thai-spouse/

The OP is applying through the Chicago embassy, where the Western meaning of "certified" may be the rule.

As another poster has said, best to ask the embassy staff what is acceptable.

IME facts are better to have than opinions.

Edited by Lacessit

17 minutes ago, fceligoj said:

The papers from the individuals identified in the documents has to be notarized by a notary public, since you are in the US.  Each documents has to be presented by the individual who 'owns' the document.  I've had document notarized by even a UPS office where the individual is a notary public and has the seal to imprint on the document.

Completely different thing. 

Read the OP where he list the 2 items.

The want signed and dated photocopies of wife pp or Thai ID card and signed copy and dated confirming still married 

On 3/24/2024 at 6:12 PM, DrJack54 said:

Wait for advice from someone who has actually done the process.

My understanding is that it simply means  "signed" 

Bit the same as sign photocopy of ID page when attending bank for any purpose 

It is similar to the UK.

They go to a Thai lawyer who affixes their stamp and seal and includes the words ' I certify this is a true likeness ' etc

In Thailand, they also enclose their registration as a lawyer and photocopies and enclose their name cards and contact details.

I have done it in Thailand with Passports and other documents.

Thai law firms can do these notifications in both English and Thai with translation.

They can be scanned and sent by email and should be satisfactory for their needs and purposes.

Edited by Scouse123

5 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

I have done it in Thailand with Passports and other documents.

These are not documents. 

One is copy of thai ID.

The other is hand written letter to confirm still married.  

Perhaps the full Monty is required in USA, UK etc.

Certainly not in nearby countries.

In OP situation if it's more than I suggest then he can enter Thailand visa exempt and obtain non O at local immigration office in Thailand 

On 3/24/2024 at 6:02 PM, ubonrthai said:

I'm planning to apply for a new non-O visa based on my marriage to a Thai citizen. I'll apply through the Chicago embassy and their website lists 2 certified documents.

a certified copy of the Thai national's passport/Thai Identification Card of the spouse.
a certified letter from the Thai spouse stating that he or she is still married to the applicant.

If you had read the entire requirements page from the website that you sourced you would have your answer...  *These documents must be certified by a Notary Public and certified true signature of the notary public by the Secretary of State.

5 minutes ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

If you had read the entire requirements page from the website that you sourced you would have your answer...  *

If that site is correct he could consider entering Thailand visa exempt and apply for the Non O at his Thai immigration office.