Any great beaches on the mainland?

2 hours ago, Nemises said:

“Next”? There is no “next” because it appears that you now agree with all of my original post, which was: 1/ all beaches having shallow water; 2/ all beaches having very warm ie non-refreshing water temperatures; and 3/ beaches usually* having humid, non-cooling breezes and unbearably hot sand. 

*Usually… meaning time of year … not all year round. 

Just because I didn't write anything about it does not mean I agree- I just couldn't be bothered to do so, but carry on telling me what I agree with by all means.

Bye.

38 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Just because I didn't write anything about it does not mean I agree- I just couldn't be bothered to do so, but carry on telling me what I agree with by all means.

Bye.

If you ‘couldn’t be bothered’ then you shouldn’t have critiqued my post in the first place 🤦

And I didn’t say you definitely agreed with anything. (Hint: look for the word “appears” …to agree).  

Bye. 

Edited by Nemises
  • Haha 1

OP may want to listen and take the advice of beach goers that actually live here/TH.   Many, most poster do not, and or haven't visited in years.   Even when visiting, may not even go into the surf, so there opinions are 'dated' to be kind.

Current YT vids from the non-OMG reviewers may help also, as you can filter the seatch 'time' to current month.

One stormy year, and the beach can easily be transformed, for good or bad, with the shifting sand.   

Common sense will tell you a long shallow beach in the blazing sun, will not be refreshing to many.   Ao Manao at RTAF Wing 5 @ Prachuap Khiri Khan is a fine example of that.  As are many of the Gulf beaches; Ban Krut and Thung Wua Laan, which are a couple favorites of mine.   Though TBH, haven't actually been in them lately, for that same reason, not very refreshing on hot day, along with fecal counts.

Andaman Sea is best choice for a 'beach' holiday, if planning on playing in the surf.  It was stellar during most of covid, and we were there (Phuket) quite often then.   But the tourist are back so there's that to deal with.   Besides the numbers of, there's fecal count to consider, because of the number of tourist, and has got to be higher also.  During covid, 5 people in the surf was rare, and that's not an exaggeration.

Gulf beach holiday, best recommendation, surfside hotel with an infinite pool view.   Doesn't get any better. The Gulf being iffy on any given day.  At least CYA, so GF and or kids won't blame you for a crap holiday.

Edited by KhunLA

On 3/24/2024 at 8:18 AM, Sluglord said:

On the MAINLAND

Koh Tao not known for its beaches.

The question is entirely subjective. I would say no. In fact, I would state that any island less than about 40 km off the coast probably has less than exceptional beaches

Having said that, I am personally only satisfied and visit or stay on beaches that are at least four or five star. World class because why would a person go anywhere else when they have that opportunity? This is one of the best things that is on offer in Thailand. By and large free

Khao Tao is on the mainland. I live outside huahin and go often.

Read his post again.

On 3/24/2024 at 4:18 PM, spidermike007 said:

The OP asked about the Gulf. Last I saw, Phuket is on the Andaman. Yes, that is an amazing body of water, but many of us stay as far away from Phuket as we possibly can, for a dozen good reasons. 

Only a dozen? LOL

• Haha 1

On 3/24/2024 at 4:18 PM, spidermike007 said:

The OP asked about the Gulf. Last I saw, Phuket is on the Andaman. Yes, that is an amazing body of water, but many of us stay as far away from Phuket as we possibly can, for a dozen good reasons. 

Only a dozen? LOL

On 3/28/2024 at 3:54 AM, KhunLA said:

As are many of the Gulf beaches; Ban Krut and Thung Wua Laan, which are a couple favorites of mine.   Though TBH, haven't actually been in them lately, for that same reason, not very refreshing on hot day, along with fecal counts.

Don't forget the sand flies too. Thung Wua Laen was very bad for that. And trash. All hail the "trash heroes" who clean the beach!

5 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

Don't forget the sand flies too. Thung Wua Laen was very bad for that. And trash. All hail the "trash heroes" who clean the beach!

Haven't experienced them yet in TH, anywhere.  Little stingers in the water can't be overly annoying at times, and will keep my out of the surf if too frequent.

On 3/25/2024 at 3:18 AM, Sluglord said:

The question is entirely subjective. I would say no. In fact, I would state that any island less than about 40 km off the coast probably has less than exceptional beaches

Last time I looked Lanta is an island and is less than 40 km off the coast. It has at least one beach that is in the top tier of Thai beaches, and I only got half way down the west coast. It even has deep water off the sand and best of all had no longtails at all when I was staying on it.

8 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

Only a dozen? LOL

Seems someone thinks Phuket IS the Andaman. There are a lot of beaches north of Phuket, though I never stayed there as after the tsunami it appeared that the greedies were stealing the good ones from the original owners.

Having had a brilliant view of the Burmese Andaman coast on a flight to Thailand, I'd say they will be wiping out Thai beaches as places to go, once the military are vanquished and the country is returned to the people. It'll be like Thai beaches were last century, before the greedies ruined them.

14 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Last time I looked Lanta is an island and is less than 40 km off the coast. It has at least one beach that is in the top tier of Thai beaches, and I only got half way down the west coast. It even has deep water off the sand and best of all had no longtails at all when I was staying on it.

Yeah I agree I think Lanta is very underrated, it seems less spoiled than a lot of the other islands, though it's developed it's not developed to a horrendous degree. I had the good fortune of going there during covid and it was bliss. It felt like I had the whole island to myself. I would imagine at other times it's quite delightful, and the beaches were really good. The Andaman is absolutely gorgeous. 

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Yeah I agree I think Lanta is very underrated, it seems less spoiled than a lot of the other islands, though it's developed it's not developed to a horrendous degree. I had the good fortune of going there during covid and it was bliss. It felt like I had the whole island to myself. I would imagine at other times it's quite delightful, and the beaches were really good. The Andaman is absolutely gorgeous. 

Rubbish now, full of Russians

1 hour ago, Dolf said:

Rubbish now, full of Russians

Anyone on Lanta recently.   Almost hopped over there myself recently, but remembered I wasn't too impressed with the beaches, though long time ago, and possibly off season, as remember it was raining quite a bit.   So much so, we left and went to Phuket, for a whole week of sunny skies & good surf.

So must not have been too 'off season', as at the time, had to be school break, Mar/Apr/early May or Sept/early Oct.  Never had bad surf on Phuket while there at those times, well, not enough to keep me out of it.

11 hours ago, it is what it is said:

after visiting my sister who emigrated to australia, and my mate in the west indies i have been underwhelmed by thailand, and many other country's beaches. 

You should have visited them 40 years ago, before they got ruined.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Anyone on Lanta recently.   Almost hopped over there myself recently, but remembered I wasn't too impressed with the beaches, though long time ago, and possibly off season, as remember it was raining quite a bit.   So much so, we left and went to Phuket, for a whole week of sunny skies & good surf.

So must not have been too 'off season', as at the time, had to be school break, Mar/Apr/early May or Sept/early Oct.  Never had bad surf on Phuket while there at those times, well, not enough to keep me out of it.

A year ago. I wouldnt go back.

• Agree 1