Fatal Big Bike Collision in Phuket Claims Three Lives, Leaves One Young Woman Injured

webfact

36 yo Russian on the R1 showing out to his 18 yo Thai cutie, plows into Swede and his Thai wife at top speed. That's the summary as I gather. Tragic and undoubtably avoidable. Stupidity, speed, poor lighting (which is everywhere in Thai at night), slick asphalt roads... a receipt for disaster. Not that it would have mattered much, but I assume not a hemet a worn by anyone. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Old Croc said:

According to a post above the Swede was with his wife and just heading home. They were hit from behind by the big bike doing enormous speed. 

Your comment is very poor under the circumstances.

I guess he was sticking to the wrong lane, like most North European people do when crossing Europe on motorways, putting themselves - and other road users! - at high risk of being hit from behind by someone on a rush!

I have seen many of these scandinavian morons doing the same in Hua Hin! Some of them driving even naked without any helmet!

My comment might be very poor under the circumstances, but I am not responsible for the very poor driving attitude of some of those creatures!

• Confused 4

15 minutes ago, Modern Coding said:

I guess he was sticking to the wrong lane, like most North European people do when crossing Europe on motorways, putting themselves - and other road users! - at high risk of being hit from behind by someone on a rush!

I have seen many of these scandinavian morons doing the same in Hua Hin! Some of them driving even naked without any helmet!

My comment might be very poor under the circumstances, but I am not responsible for the very poor driving attitude of some of those creatures!

Wrong on all accounts- see my earlier post.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Nothing wrong with bike bikes.  It's the speed that kills. 

I feel a lot safer on a big bike than a scooter.  At high speed, both riders are at risk of becoming a fatality. 

At low speed the scooter will likely crumble and rider hurt.  A big bike can survive a low speed crash better due to construction and materials used. 

On a big bike you can use acceleration to get out of the 'danger zone'.  

Both types of bike still require respect when you ride them.  Know their and your capabilites and ride accordingly.   Use the mirrors constantly... a mindset that everyone is out to get you isn't a bad one to have in Thailand. 

Be seen... wear hi-viz.  It helps alot. 

10 minutes ago, Korat Kiwi said:

I feel a lot safer on a big bike than a scooter.  At high speed, both riders are at risk of becoming a fatality. 

At low speed the scooter will likely crumble and rider hurt.  A big bike can survive a low speed crash better due to construction and materials used. 

Both types of bike still require respect when you ride them.  Know their and your capabilites and ride accordingly.   Use the mirrors constantly... a mindset that everyone is out to get you isn't a bad one to have in Thailand. 

I imported my big bike to here, but after a few years sold it. Too dangerous, and only driving at speeds under 80 km would be a waste of the bike.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Cabradelmar said:

36 yo Russian on the R1 showing out to his 18 yo Thai cutie, plows into Swede and his Thai wife at top speed. That's the summary as I gather. Tragic and undoubtably avoidable. Stupidity, speed, poor lighting (which is everywhere in Thai at night), slick asphalt roads... a receipt for disaster. Not that it would have mattered much, but I assume not a hemet a worn by anyone. 

That road is well lit, 4 lanes wide with a dual carriage way plus the hard shoulder, plenty of room for both of them, 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

That road is well lit, 4 lanes wide with a dual carriage way plus the hard shoulder, plenty of room for both of them, 

I live in the soi there and walk there in the dark every other early morning, still dark. There is no hard shoulder, agree with all else.

48 minutes ago, Chalong circle said:

In the past 18 months, more than 10 people have died on this stretch of road from Chalong Circle to Rawai.

With a name like that, I guess you'd know.  Let's wait for Rawai to add his thoughts.

11 minutes ago, ChicagoExpat said:

I think this is the same stretch of road where the Russian killed the American and the European girl in November.

No, it is not. Same area, different strech of road.

10 minutes ago, ChicagoExpat said:

I think this is the same stretch of road where the Russian killed the American and the European girl in November.

About one kilometer away. And before that 3 deaths also in front of laguna night club on 2 motorbikes in November 23. Two russians and one thai.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Old Croc said:

I worked that out when the 2nd article said both bikes were carrying Thai women as pillion passengers.

I did however presume the big bike was probably at fault and was probably ridden by the Russian.  Stereotyping, I guess.

Deduction and thinking I think

6 hours ago, Expat68 said:

Probably just two more foreigners leaving their brains at their country of origin 

Or in this case, all over the road in Rawaii......  RIP innocent Thai passenger and I hope the other Thai woman recovers in hospital.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, harleyclarkey said:

Two idiots with one of them on a powerful bike that clearly he couldn't control. They crashed into each other....at high speed. Body parts all over the road greeted the first responders. 

Whatever they do to themselves I pity the 2 women...it must have been horrific to be on the pillion with these guys out of control. 

Sorry, I just can't say RIP  - except to the This woman. 

so... will you amend your post or change your opinion ?

10 hours ago, Sigmund said:

If only Police corruption was stopped and the cops started to do their jobs,  instead of chasing only the foreigners to racket money.

While I agree with you that the police should be doing their jobs, I think you will find that overall, they target Thai's far more than foreigners.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, nobodysfriend said:

There should be no more big bikes available for rent to anyone .

I don't agree - that would discriminate against the majority of bikers who don't ride stupidly. You do not of course, hear about people who don't have accidents.

One thing that would help would be strict checks to ensure that foreigners hold the correct licence for whatever they are hiring.  Before I owned a bike in Thailand I would often hire a big bike when I visited Pattaya.  I was never required to have a licence - my passport was good enough.

9 hours ago, newnative said:

Prohibit tourists without a valid motorcycle license from renting any motorbikes of any size.

That is already the law but why do you only refer to tourists?  Surely anyone, including Thai's, hiring any vehicle, should hold a licence to do so?

The problem as usual is............little or no enforcement.

Couple years ago it was noted that an average of 60 (Thais) die every single day in vehicle accidents.
The number is actually much higher as they only could those who died at the scene. For example, in this accident 3 people died and 1 went to the hospital. If that 4th person died on the way to the hospital or at the hospital, it would not be counted as a part of that accident.

Whereas in places like Canada, if you die from injuries sustained in an accident within 30 days of it happening, it is counted as a part of the accident total.

It was also noted that of all the vehicle accidents in Thailand, nearly 70% involved motorcycles (mainly scooters of course). Thailand actually has more registered "motorcycles" than cars and light trucks (pick-ups) combined.

I just rode back (to Pattaya) from Ratchaburi with a group of friends yesterday afternoon. How we made it without having an accident I don't know. Frikken CRAZY drivers everywhere. Cars, trucks, big trucks, busses, other motorcycles and they ALL act like they are championship racers running a Cannonball race.

And then add in the crappy roads, construction and various crap on the road and it's like Deathrace 2024 - Bangkok Edition.

Once we got on Highway 34 (after the ferry ride across the river) things were much better. Even when traffic picked up as we entered Chon Buri it wasn't as loony as it was in Samut Songkran and Samut Sakhon.

But like everything, there is very little to no enforcement of any traffic regulations at all so it's little wonder it's a free-for-all on the streets, roads and highways.

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, simon43 said:

Or in this case, all over the road in Rawaii......  RIP innocent Thai passenger and I hope the other Thai woman recovers in hospital.

She lost both legs 

• Sad 1

On 3/25/2024 at 6:53 AM, Sigmund said:

Thailand remains faithful to it's shameful record of the highest road accident death toll in the world. Sad for the victims. If only Police corruption was stopped and the cops started to do their jobs,  instead of chasing only the foreigners to racket money.

I don't think Thailand has the highest death till in the world, A lot probably depends on how you count deaths. It seems Thailand doesn't count it as a road death iunless it occurs within 24 hours.  That may be wrong but I've never had anyone dispute it. 

Thailand seems to move between 2nd and 5th, at least in the years I was checking. Still Shangri-la and, as you say a lot has to do with the police. 

On 3/25/2024 at 3:32 PM, Korat Kiwi said:

Cars a lot safer

On 3/26/2024 at 8:46 PM, kimamey said:

I don't think Thailand has the highest death till in the world, A lot probably depends on how you count deaths. It seems Thailand doesn't count it as a road death iunless it occurs within 24 hours.  That may be wrong but I've never had anyone dispute it. 

Thailand seems to move between 2nd and 5th, at least in the years I was checking. Still Shangri-la and, as you say a lot has to do with the police. 

It has been no 1 a few times